Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

"Dr. Strangelove..." - Weegee photos - 1963

Mon May 19, 2014 1:51 am

Four photos taken by Austrian photographer Arthur "Weegee" Fellig during the making of "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb" (1963).

Sellers Strangelove -.jpg

Kubrick hands.jpg

Kubrick camera.jpg

Kubrick Reed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Dr. Strangelove..." - Weegee photos - 1963

Mon May 19, 2014 1:54 am

Bonus photo : Weegee and Peter Sellers after the pie fight scene that didn't make it to the final cut of the movie.

Weegee Sellers.jpg

http://presentationhousegallery.org/exhibition/strangeloves-weegee-and/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon May 19, 2014 4:13 am

Great photos. Do you know this Stanley Kubrick film is one of Elvis' all-time favorites?

He screened it many, many times at the Memphian back in the day, likely much to the consternation to most of his less-sophisticated friends and relatives.

Memphian Theatre.JPG

Mon May 19, 2014 11:03 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great photos. Do you know this Stanley Kubrick film is one of Elvis' all-time favorites?

He screened it many, many times at the Memphian back in the day, likely much to the consternation to most of his less-sophisticated friends and relatives.

Memphian Theatre.JPG

Yeah, it was. He did.

Funny although I really like a lot of Kubrick's movies, this was probably the one (from all I've seen) I cared less for (closely followed by "Barry Lyndon").

Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough for that movie? :wink:

Mon May 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Great photos from a marvellous movie that's still unique, thought-provoking, richly satirical and very entertaining. In many ways, this was Kubrick at his very best. The same can be said of Peter Sellers, who was quite brilliant here. Although there's not a weak link in the entire cast, especially George C. Scott, who gives one of his more unhinged performances. The Sony Blu-ray release is quite excellent in every way.

Mon May 19, 2014 7:20 pm

I love the story of Elvis, Jerry and Sonny, taking their private tour of the White House, and Elvis saying, "No fighting in the War Room."

Mon May 19, 2014 7:50 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Great photos. Do you know this Stanley Kubrick film is one of Elvis' all-time favorites?

Yes, I read about it many years ago, in a magazine article, I think.

It's neat, and kind of weird, that he appreciated this movie, while at the same time he was starring in mostly dreadful films.

Also, we know that he was a Sellers fan, and that one of his other favourite movies was "Patton", starring George C. Scott, also featured in "Strangelove". I haven't seen "Patton", though.

luckyjackson1 wrote:Funny although I really like a lot of Kubrick's movies, this was probably the one (from all I've seen) I cared less for (closely followed by "Barry Lyndon").

Maybe I'm not sophisticated enough for that movie? :wink:

I like many of Kubrick's movies. Very much. But especially his earliest ones. "The Killing", "Paths Of Glory", "Spartacus", "Lolita" and "Strangelove" are the kind of films I can watch over and over, and never get tired of them.

I've got to admit that I'm not sophisticated enough for "2001"...

This is off-topic, but I recently found this contemporary review for "Lolita". It's rated as "NAUSEATING" :

Lolita review.JPG

greystoke wrote:Great photos from a marvellous movie that's still unique, thought-provoking, richly satirical and very entertaining. In many ways, this was Kubrick at his very best. The same can be said of Peter Sellers, who was quite brilliant here. Although there's not a weak link in the entire cast, especially George C. Scott, who gives one of his more unhinged performances. The Sony Blu-ray release is quite excellent in every way.

Sellers' work here is awesome, playing three different characters (he was also to play Slim Pickens, the pilot!). So is Scott's. And what about Sterling Hayden ?

You're probably right. This may be Kubrick's greatest movie.

I have the 2-DVD release, which features lots of extras, and is an absolute delight. Whenever I upgrade to Blu-Ray, this will be one of the first titles I will purchase.

elvisjock wrote:I love the story of Elvis, Jerry and Sonny, taking their private tour of the White House, and Elvis saying, "No fighting in the War Room."

Cool story, and new to me. Thanks a lot !

In the above mentioned 2-DVD it is explained that when Reagan first entered the White House as the new President, he asked to be shown the War Room.

Of course, this room doesn't exist, ha, ha. What a letdown for ol' Ronnie...

Tue May 20, 2014 12:00 am

Any number of Kubrick's films could easily be cited as his best or greatest movie, the quality of his work as a writer and director being truly beyond reproach. He was a genius behind the camera and this shows from his earliest films to the last, Eyes Wide Shut. Which I'm very, very fond of although, like yourself, Mister Moon, Kubrick's earliest movies are favourites of mine, especially The Killing, Paths of Glory and Spartacus. And given that he made relatively few films during a long career, it's difficult to find him missing a beat or lacking vision or creativity -- the growth we see from a movie like Fear and Desire to Paths of Glory then Dr. Strangelove is impressive enough; then we have a truly ground-breaking, challenging and enduring sci-fi epic like 2001: A Space Odyssey. I'm less fond of A Clockwork Orange, although I appreciate his vision and the more daring and challenging aspects of this movie, whilst I think Barry Lyndon is quite underrated. Importantly, Kubrick made the films he wanted to make, held fast to his artistic vision and challenged audiences from the first to the last feature films he made.

I thought Sterling Hayden gave one of his most memorable performances in Dr. Strangelove. Hayden was a bit underrated as an actor, given his forthright and masculine approach to many roles, although he could be reminiscent of John Wayne, with the upright and unflinching sense of morality he was able to convey. Especially as Sheriff Todd Shaw in Suddenly. But he could reveal further facets of his abilities when challenged with more complex roles, and that's what Kubrick done in both The Killing and Dr. Strangelove. Especially with a character called General Jack D. Ripper, which conjures up all sorts of imagery. Initially, Hayden plays Ripper quite broadly, before crumbling into his own personal crisis of conscience and cold war paranoia condensed into the deconstruction of a singular character, who is completely perfect for Hayden in one sense, but wholly against type in another. But he succeeds brilliantly in the role, never encouraging empathy or courting sympathy, but allowing viewers a way into his psyche and leaving us amused and bemused at such a character.

Tue May 20, 2014 2:16 am

The guys more likely enjoyed Elvis' screenings of Blazing Saddles.

Elvis himself adopted one of the catch phrases - "Son, you're on your own."

Tue May 20, 2014 2:20 am

This is among the extras in the 2-DVD 40th. Anniversary Edition :

phpBB [video]

Tue May 20, 2014 2:31 am

elvisjock wrote:I love the story of Elvis, Jerry and Sonny, taking their private tour of the White House, and Elvis saying, "No fighting in the War Room."

elvisjock wrote:The guys more likely enjoyed Elvis' screenings of Blazing Saddles.

Elvis himself adopted one of the catch phrases - "Son, you're on your own."

Very keen observations.

Tue May 20, 2014 8:25 am

Thanks so much. Who better to photograph this highly unusual film.

I can watch it forever and ever. 'till the end of time. :smt002

rjm