last movie you watched

Chat talk and light discussion

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

greystoke

Re: last movie you watched

Post by greystoke »

jak wrote:Went to the theatre yesterday to see Under The Skin with Scarlett Johansen. It's a sci fi film in which she plays an alien here o earth. Other than a few glowing reviews I hadnt heard anything about this film. We went with very high expectations. Unfortunately we almost got up and walked out it was so bad. Staying until the end was an endurance test. One of the worst films if not the worst I have ever seen in a theatre. Even Scarlett's full frontal nude scene wasnt worth the admission price.
I saw Under the Skin a few months ago and thought it to be very good and quite excellent in certain areas -- particularly the very creative, disconcerting and immersive score and sound design which seem to intermingle. This is a film that seems to be deeply polarising views and opinions, but I liked it so much I saw it twice.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

luckyjackson1 wrote:Some comments:

I've never watched "Frogs" but I remember it was a favourite in my family and they watched it every time they showed it on german television (mostly before midnight). But I was too young so I wasn't allowed to watch it.

I can't say I'm looking forward to "Under My Skin" for I've already seen pictures from the probably most interesting scene.

I remember the Emmerich Godzilla was probably the very first movie I've seen in a real big cinema. That said, I have to confess I was disappointed with the latest installment. But go, see and check for yourself.
I've watched two movies that night at the cineman: one being "Godzilla" in 3D and after that I watched the preview of "One Chance", which was quite a nice little surprise to me. When I learned what the movie was about I was already thinking about leaving but watched and enjoyed it to the end. I think the main reason to stay was Colm Meaney's character as Paul Potts' father.

Then I've watched the Hitchcock movies "Saboteur" and "Shadow Of A Doubt", which I'd never seen before. I really enjoyed the first one but the second was kinda dragged along for me, although no doubt they are very good films - sometimes way ahead of its time.

Last night I watched the forgettable "Tokarev" starring Nicolas Cage. Starts off promising but in the end... :?

Right now I started watching "Blue Is The Warmest Color" and instantly fell in love with Adèle Exarchopoulos. Can't explain but I think she is fascinating. She kinda reflects that longing loneliness in her eyes, á la Catherine Deneuve, although she's a completely different type of woman. I'm only halfway through it but I can recommend it to people who like these kind of arthouse movies.
I'm very fond of both Saboteur and Shadow of a Doubt, especially the latter. But check out Chan-wook Park's 2013 English language debut, Stoker, for a stylish and quietly compelling update of Shadow of a Doubt. I also thought Blue is the Warmest Colour was really terrific. It's a truly compelling love story that affords deep emotional investment in the characters through great writing and very naturalistic performances.

Between yesterday and today I've seen Godzilla, Frank, The Two Faces of January and Concussion at the cinema. I thought Godzilla was tremendous and almost everything I wanted from this film. Frank, which is inspired by the character of Frank Sidebottom and based on the experiences of Jon Ronson with Chris Sievey, is a real gem of a film. It's truly off-beat, with a marvellous central performance from Michael Fassbebder as Frank, the frontman of an experimental music group who just happens to exist in a giant papier mache head. But this sideways look at celebrity, creativity, acceptance and mental health issues is ultimately touching and quite unforgettable. The Two Faces of January, starring Viggo Mortensen, Kirsten Dunst and Oscar Isaacs is set in early sixties Greece, where small-time confidence man, Isaacs, latches onto the affluent-looking Mortensen and Dunst. By mere chance, Isaacs' character stumbles upon Mortensen in a criminally compromised situation where he lends a hand and becomes embroiled in run from the law that's tainted with distrust and duplicity. Great acting, scenery, music and a well-written script is let down slightly by keeping the deliberately ambiguous characters just too aloof. Less compelling is Concussion, which concerns a lesbian couple whose everyday life and marriage with two young children isn't enough to content Robin Weigert's character, Abbey. Who, after an accidental blow to the head, sets off on a series of sexual encounters that lead her into the world of a high-class call-girl. Which is intermittently intriguing and occasionally erotic, but lacking real narrative drive and a solid framework to make more of what soon amounts to a series of very brief vignettes. There are occasionally tender moments, but it's difficult to get under the skin and care much about a protagonist who seems to have everything in life but is discontented for special reason despite the extraordinary lengths she goes to to have another life.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

I wrote a more detailed post about Godzilla that's been removed along with other posts here and elsewhere. What's that all about? Any ideas?

keninlincs
Registered for: 15 years 9 months
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

greystoke wrote:I wrote a more detailed post about Godzilla that's been removed along with other posts here and elsewhere. What's that all about? Any ideas?
No idea Hugh,the mods have deleted my posts and your replies about Godzilla and Frank and your thanks for the post comment,wihout having the common decency of an explanation, seems they are really determined to annoy people into leaving fecc at the moment

mobile reply
Last edited by keninlincs on Sun May 18, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

-instagram kenh1964

fecc-mechanic
Tech Guru.
Registered for: 21 years
Mood:

Post by fecc-mechanic »

Hey guys, there was a database issue earlier this evening. Had to roll over to a backup that was made 12 hours ago. I apologize for the posts that were lost.
(There was a note of this up above in the announcement thread regarding the server.) Anytime something funky is happening,I make note of it there. Fyi. :)

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

All the best from Mempihs
Jordan

ImageImage

fa-boltfa-boltPlease send all tech support requests to: tech@elvicities.comfa-boltfa-bolt

Make sure to visit my friends at the EAP society! It's a movement! For all generations of fans! And it's worth supporting!!!

rjm
Registered for: 13 years 3 months

Post by rjm »

Thank you, Jordan. Someone was on Facebook, going bonkers. LOL! I will let him know.

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

"Treat me mean and cruel, treat me like a fool, but love me!"

My Tumblr blog: https://robinmark64.tumblr.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/robinmark64

rjm

Post by rjm »

Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

You write long, superb posts. I hope you write them in a word processor or note-app first!

rjm

Sent via mobile

"And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God."
Aeschylus

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

rjm wrote:Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

You write long, superb posts. I hope you write them in a word processor or note-app first!

rjm

Sent via mobile
I don't, unfortunately, rjm. I may write about it again later today, but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.

Jove
Registered for: 19 years 1 month

Post by Jove »

greystoke wrote: but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.
I sure would love to read your review. I am not much of a fan of Godzilla movies. One is enough. But (You're The ) Devil In Disguise may make me change my mind. :-)

Scratch me now a little lower

Topic author
rocknroller
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by rocknroller »

Went to see Godzilla the other night great CGI effects and they looked even better in 3D. story not so good found it a bit slow but it did have its moments !!!

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious sh*t

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

Thanks for the explanation jordan,and apologies to the mods

mobile reply

-instagram kenh1964

keninlincs
Mood:

Post by keninlincs »

greystoke wrote:
rjm wrote:Greystoke: did you write it first in another program? Because I want to go to the movies tomorrow, and sure would like to see it.

rjm

Sent via mobile
I don't, unfortunately, rjm. I may write about it again later today, but I do recommend Godzilla highly. It's intelligent, involving and very exciting.
it was a great review,Thanks

mobile reply

-instagram kenh1964

rjm

Post by rjm »

greystoke wrote:

rjm

Sent via mobile
Thank you! I will go. I need a movie!

rjm

Sent via mobile

Aeschylus

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

After reading some very mixed reviews on Godzilla I had intended to pass on it preferring instead to take in next weeks X-Men movie, though following Greystokes very positive opinion on it coupled with my sunday boredom I decided to see for myself. Have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it, I agree with most of the four out of five star reviews. Perfect? No, of course not but still a highly enjoyable piece of entertainment. I thought it very well crafted, perhaps echoes of Spielberg coming through in the pacing and general look but still very much the directors own work. The obvious comparison being with the very recent Pacific Rim, as much as I like Del Torro as a director his movie while looking good was a big let down for me, not least of which was the wooden dialogue and acting. This movie at least engaged me and seeing it a second time on the big screen would not be a challenge. If I had one criticism, it would be the kids rating it aimed for, would have liked to have seen a bit more suspense and kicking it up to an 18 rating, it is after all monsters smashing a city to pieces, but its a small critique and over all a most enjoyable couple of hours.

I got you melancholy baby, built like a melon face like a collie.

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Thanks so much, Jordan. I was wondering where some of my "Thanks" went. Sad that some of greystoke's wonderful posts got lost, though.

Last movie I watched was Alex De La Iglesia's "Witching And Bitching"... boy, what a weird piece of cinema. But enjoyed it anyway.

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Just watched "Clambake" today, probably the first Elvis movie I saw in ages.

Didn't have a clue how boring it actually was, although being recently dumped by a girl I really had a crush on I couldn't help but trying to fight back the tears during my two favourite scenes in the movie.
At least when Elvis came up in the opening credits with his typical grin, I couldn't help but grin along and I felt happy once more.

First time I watched it in english, by the way. But I thought even the motorboat race was kinda lame. At least there was Shelley... :smt007

For a little company
There's always me

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

Just yesterday I watched "Penny Serenade" (1941) on TV, a film directed by George Stevens, and starring Irene Dunne and Cary Grant.

It's a very old-fashioned melodrama, but I like the way the film is presented, with Dunne reminiscing about her past through the (RCA Victor) records she plays all through the movie.

The songs in the soundtrack are wonderful, and the trick at the beginning of the movie with the record skipping (I won't spoilt for you) is absolutely unforgettable.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

Mister Moon wrote:Just yesterday I watched "Penny Serenade" (1941) on TV, a film directed by George Stevens, and starring Irene Dunne and Cary Grant.

It's a very old-fashioned melodrama, but I like the way the film is presented, with Dunne reminiscing about her past through the (RCA Victor) records she plays all through the movie.

The songs in the soundtrack are wonderful, and the trick at the beginning of the movie with the record skipping (I won't spoilt for you) is absolutely unforgettable.
I'm also very fond of Penny Serenade, which I won't spoil either out of consideration for anyone who hasn't seen this film. Cary Grant is one of my favourite actors and here, in this very moving, tender and touching film, he gives one of his very best performances. Irene Dunne is also one of my favourite actresses, and she's the very epitome of grace and courage under trial and tribulation in this movie. Which was directed with such a deft touch by the great George Stevens, who was one of the most skilled directors in Hollywood during the Golden Era and through the fifties into the sixties. He turned his hand successfully to several genres and made some of the best films of their kind, Penny Serenade included, although his work with Cary Grant was of the highest standard given that he also directed Gunga Din and The Talk of the Town.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

"Elvis On Tour"! :D
I think this must be the movie I've seen most in my life (about ten times). Usually I'm not the person to watch a movie over and over but this one is magical to me since I've seen it first on April 15, 1986.

Last night I watched "Paranormal Activity - The Marked Ones" and despite I really liked the first four installments (with the first one including the original ending being my favourite, it cannot be topped in my opinion) I thought this was real crap. Simply didn't like it, it actually went on my nerves. What a letdown! :(

For a little company
There's always me

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

Eddie wrote:X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.
I thought this was very good, too, Eddie. Perhaps the best in the series since X-Men 2. Although there was plenty of exposition and it was a bit convoluted, but it was well acted and directed with real panache and forward momentum. The special effects were also superb and the dynamic between the Charles Xavier we know and the young Xavier created a real narrative heft. I'm really looking forward to X-Men: Apocalypse but will hopefully see this again in the cinema.

luckyjackson1

Post by luckyjackson1 »

Eddie wrote:X-Men Days of Future Past, thoroughly enjoyed it, a great addition to the series certainly as good as any of them and a little bit more imo, will go back and see it again on the big screen for it will lose a lot on the tv screen I'm sure, highly recommended entertainment. Nice to see Bryan Singer back at the helm also.
Enjoyed it too despite some scenes which I thought were too long. But having such cool dudes as James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman in one movie is really a joy!

For a little company
There's always me

Tang Lungs side kick
Registered for: 12 years 10 months

Post by Tang Lungs side kick »

Horrible bosses 4.5/6 , guess Aniston got tired of rom-coms ;)

Guilt Trip 4.5/6 , deserved better at box office......

Madagascar 3 , 3/6......stale , I remember #2 as more fun. This time they go to Europe.

Eddie

Post by Eddie »

I had read reviews claiming it was confusing, especially for those who hadn't seen the previous ones....huh? Why you would be there having not seen them is a mystery to me and a bit of an easy critique. Again I've read it a bit convoluted but I didn't think so, there was a helluva lot going on , no doubt about that and perhaps some of the characters we know were just making an appearance for the sake of it but, I really enjoyed the whole time travel laying waste to the 1970s history, one scene, I did find a little hard to swallow narrative wise and just had to go with it though.It's not a perfect film but, certainly worthy of the admission price. Nice to see Wolverine not hogging the limelight as much, giving others, Mystique in particular the chance to shine. The entire future scenes were immensely enjoyable and really for the first time in the series did believe the x-men in real peril. Really would like to see more of that. Dont know how the box office is shaping up for the movie but the big hits tend to be the returning customer ones, for me this is one of those.

greystoke

Post by greystoke »

Eddie wrote:I had read reviews claiming it was confusing, especially for those who hadn't seen the previous ones....huh? Why you would be there having not seen them is a mystery to me and a bit of an easy critique. Again I've read it a bit convoluted but I didn't think so, there was a helluva lot going on , no doubt about that and perhaps some of the characters we know were just making an appearance for the sake of it but, I really enjoyed the whole time travel laying waste to the 1970s history, one scene, I did find a little hard to swallow narrative wise and just had to go with it though.It's not a perfect film but, certainly worthy of the admission price. Nice to see Wolverine not hogging the limelight as much, giving others, Mystique in particular the chance to shine. The entire future scenes were immensely enjoyable and really for the first time in the series did believe the x-men in real peril. Really would like to see more of that. Dont know how the box office is shaping up for the movie but the big hits tend to be the returning customer ones, for me this is one of those.
It's doing great business, Eddie. $171 million internationally on its opening weekend.