Chat talk and light discussion

Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:58 pm

As someone who still enjoys buying movies,i was wondering how many members still buy movies on blu-ray or dvd.i know most people stream them or download them or just watch them on tv.but i still enjoy going out and buying myself a movie on blu-ray.the other day i bought inglourious basterds and mission impossible 1 & 2 !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:01 pm

I'm currently awaiting delivery of Kino's Blu-ray of The Stranger and North to Alaska on Blu-ray. Both are fine movies and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look on Blu-ray. Reviews have certainly been good. Recently, I've also purchased Explosive Media's very good Blu-ray of Man Without a Star, the BFI Blu-ray of Seven Samurai, the Italian Sony Blu-ray of Gilda, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Circus World, 55 Days at Peking, El Dorado and The Undefeated, all on Blu-ray. Most of these are scant on extras, but with excellent picture quality on Circus World and 55 Days at Peking. Gilda looks wonderful, whilst Seven Samurai is pretty sound and certainly the best I've seen this film look outside of the cinema. I read mixed reviews on El Dorado's American Blu-ray release, with suggestions of too much DNR and a less detailed picture than the European releases, but this looks just fine to my eyes. Sharp, clean and vibrant. Certainty more so than Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Although, The Undefeated looks better again. This is another terrific release from Fox. And one more addition to an ever-increasing catalogue of John Wayne films on Blu-ray.

I don't download films (although I download music) and probably won't really get into the habit of doing so any time soon -- I like collecting DVDs and, more-so, Blu-ray, given the superior picture quality and growing catalogue regarding the latter. There are still good DVD releases, though, especially from the Warner Bros. Archive Collection. So I'm always keen to see what they've got coming up.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 pm

greystoke wrote:I'm currently awaiting delivery of Kino's Blu-ray of The Stranger and North to Alaska on Blu-ray. Both are fine movies and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look on Blu-ray. Reviews have certainly been good. Recently, I've also purchased Explosive Media's very good Blu-ray of Man Without a Star, the BFI Blu-ray of Seven Samurai, the Italian Sony Blu-ray of Gilda, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Circus World, 55 Days at Peking, El Dorado and The Undefeated, all on Blu-ray. Most of these are scant on extras, but with excellent picture quality on Circus World and 55 Days at Peking. Gilda looks wonderful, whilst Seven Samurai is pretty sound and certainly the best I've seen this film look outside of the cinema. I read mixed reviews on El Dorado's American Blu-ray release, with suggestions of too much DNR and a less detailed picture than the European releases, but this looks just fine to my eyes. Sharp, clean and vibrant. Certainty more so than Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Although, The Undefeated looks better again. This is another terrific release from Fox. And one more addition to an ever-increasing catalogue of John Wayne films on Blu-ray.

I don't download films (although I download music) and probably won't really get into the habit of doing so any time soon -- I like collecting DVDs and, more-so, Blu-ray, given the superior picture quality and growing catalogue regarding the latter. There are still good DVD releases, though, especially from the Warner Bros. Archive Collection. So I'm always keen to see what they've got coming up.



I would have put my mortgage on you buying movies greystoke :) good to know im not the only one.would love to start getting more john wayne movies on blu-ray only have 4 so far but my clint eastwood blu-rays are almost complete !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

rocknroller wrote:
greystoke wrote:I'm currently awaiting delivery of Kino's Blu-ray of The Stranger and North to Alaska on Blu-ray. Both are fine movies and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look on Blu-ray. Reviews have certainly been good. Recently, I've also purchased Explosive Media's very good Blu-ray of Man Without a Star, the BFI Blu-ray of Seven Samurai, the Italian Sony Blu-ray of Gilda, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Circus World, 55 Days at Peking, El Dorado and The Undefeated, all on Blu-ray. Most of these are scant on extras, but with excellent picture quality on Circus World and 55 Days at Peking. Gilda looks wonderful, whilst Seven Samurai is pretty sound and certainly the best I've seen this film look outside of the cinema. I read mixed reviews on El Dorado's American Blu-ray release, with suggestions of too much DNR and a less detailed picture than the European releases, but this looks just fine to my eyes. Sharp, clean and vibrant. Certainty more so than Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Although, The Undefeated looks better again. This is another terrific release from Fox. And one more addition to an ever-increasing catalogue of John Wayne films on Blu-ray.

I don't download films (although I download music) and probably won't really get into the habit of doing so any time soon -- I like collecting DVDs and, more-so, Blu-ray, given the superior picture quality and growing catalogue regarding the latter. There are still good DVD releases, though, especially from the Warner Bros. Archive Collection. So I'm always keen to see what they've got coming up.



I would have put my mortgage on you buying movies greystoke :) good to know im not the only one.would love to start getting more john wayne movies on blu-ray only have 4 so far but my clint eastwood blu-rays are almost complete !!!


I can't be far behind you on Eastwood Blu-rays. Hopefully Play Misty For Me and The Beguiled will be on Blu-ray soon. The latter looks very murky on DVD.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:20 pm

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:
greystoke wrote:I'm currently awaiting delivery of Kino's Blu-ray of The Stranger and North to Alaska on Blu-ray. Both are fine movies and I'm looking forward to seeing how they look on Blu-ray. Reviews have certainly been good. Recently, I've also purchased Explosive Media's very good Blu-ray of Man Without a Star, the BFI Blu-ray of Seven Samurai, the Italian Sony Blu-ray of Gilda, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, Circus World, 55 Days at Peking, El Dorado and The Undefeated, all on Blu-ray. Most of these are scant on extras, but with excellent picture quality on Circus World and 55 Days at Peking. Gilda looks wonderful, whilst Seven Samurai is pretty sound and certainly the best I've seen this film look outside of the cinema. I read mixed reviews on El Dorado's American Blu-ray release, with suggestions of too much DNR and a less detailed picture than the European releases, but this looks just fine to my eyes. Sharp, clean and vibrant. Certainty more so than Gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Although, The Undefeated looks better again. This is another terrific release from Fox. And one more addition to an ever-increasing catalogue of John Wayne films on Blu-ray.

I don't download films (although I download music) and probably won't really get into the habit of doing so any time soon -- I like collecting DVDs and, more-so, Blu-ray, given the superior picture quality and growing catalogue regarding the latter. There are still good DVD releases, though, especially from the Warner Bros. Archive Collection. So I'm always keen to see what they've got coming up.



I would have put my mortgage on you buying movies greystoke :) good to know im not the only one.would love to start getting more john wayne movies on blu-ray only have 4 so far but my clint eastwood blu-rays are almost complete !!!


I can't be far behind you on Eastwood Blu-rays. Hopefully Play Misty For Me and The Beguiled will be on Blu-ray soon. The latter looks very murky on DVD.




Always loved play misty for me and your right the vhs and dvd of The Beguiled where not good hopefully the blu-ray will put that right !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:51 pm

I'm of the old school and prefer to have something in my hands. I have downloaded a couple of movies but have no intention of downloading more. Thanks to my son I am becoming more 21st century savvy :D . All I'm interested in is classic movies in Blu-Ray now. I can always be found at any HMV sale picking up any classics that I have seen and love. Recently picked up Jaws, Frost/Nixon, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Avatar and a few others.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:11 pm

jak wrote:I'm hooked on collecting blu rays. Some of my recent purchases include Sorcerer,North To Alaska,McLintock,The Swimmer and Frozen. I order through Amazon mostly. I have a huge stack of old Godzilla and Gamera movies that will arrive very shortly also. I haven't had a chance to watch any of my recent purchases however. I've got several hundred that fit that description actually. I'm looking forward to early retirement.



:smt023

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:37 am

Delboy wrote:I'm of the old school and prefer to have something in my hands. I have downloaded a couple of movies but have no intention of downloading more. Thanks to my son I am becoming more 21st century savvy :D . All I'm interested in is classic movies in Blu-Ray now. I can always be found at any HMV sale picking up any classics that I have seen and love. Recently picked up Jaws, Frost/Nixon, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Avatar and a few others.


HMV are very good for Blu-ray just now -- their three for £20 deal is really good and there's some gems in there that have been more costly on Amazon if we're reckoning under £7 per Blu-ray. They've even got a few of the Warner Bros. steelbooks for under £10 and some new titles, like 55 Days at Peking and Circus World, that are more expensive on Amazon. The latter was £22 on Amazon on release and just £10 in HMV.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:05 am

greystoke wrote:
Delboy wrote:I'm of the old school and prefer to have something in my hands. I have downloaded a couple of movies but have no intention of downloading more. Thanks to my son I am becoming more 21st century savvy :D . All I'm interested in is classic movies in Blu-Ray now. I can always be found at any HMV sale picking up any classics that I have seen and love. Recently picked up Jaws, Frost/Nixon, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Avatar and a few others.


HMV are very good for Blu-ray just now -- their three for £20 deal is really good and there's some gems in there that have been more costly on Amazon if we're reckoning under £7 per Blu-ray. They've even got a few of the Warner Bros. steelbooks for under £10 and some new titles, like 55 Days at Peking and Circus World, that are more expensive on Amazon. The latter was £22 on Amazon on release and just £10 in HMV.


play.com is also good and missing records in glasgow is great lots of blu-rays for under £5.Fopp is also great i got all 3 ocean's movies on blu-ray for only £5 a few weeks back !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:55 am

Just ordered:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:25 pm

I just bought 'Love Me Tender' on Blu Ray.I used to have a huge amount of DVD's but got rid of them all and replaced about 10 of them with the Blu Ray releases of my favourites.
If there is a movie that I want to watch I download it, which I have been doing for a few years now.
The next Blu Ray that I will buy will be the 'Hobbit' trilogy box set extended edition but that won't be out until next year.
My favourite Blu Ray release in 'The Searchers' which is stunning.

Btw The 'Love Me Tender' Blu Ray is fantastic.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:14 pm

memfisking wrote:I just bought 'Love Me Tender' on Blu Ray.I used to have a huge amount of DVD's but got rid of them all and replaced about 10 of them with the Blu Ray releases of my favourites.
If there is a movie that I want to watch I download it, which I have been doing for a few years now.
The next Blu Ray that I will buy will be the 'Hobbit' trilogy box set extended edition but that won't be out until next year.
My favourite Blu Ray release in 'The Searchers' which is stunning.

Btw The 'Love Me Tender' Blu Ray is fantastic.


I don't have Love Me Tender, but The Searchers is also one of my favourite movies -- on Blu-ray and in general. I'm also waiting on all of the extended versions of The Hobbit movies to be released. I did buy the theatrically released version on Blu-ray, though, and it looks stunning. As you would expect.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:57 am

greystoke wrote:
memfisking wrote:I just bought 'Love Me Tender' on Blu Ray.I used to have a huge amount of DVD's but got rid of them all and replaced about 10 of them with the Blu Ray releases of my favourites.
If there is a movie that I want to watch I download it, which I have been doing for a few years now.
The next Blu Ray that I will buy will be the 'Hobbit' trilogy box set extended edition but that won't be out until next year.
My favourite Blu Ray release in 'The Searchers' which is stunning.

Btw The 'Love Me Tender' Blu Ray is fantastic.


I don't have Love Me Tender, but The Searchers is also one of my favourite movies -- on Blu-ray and in general. I'm also waiting on all of the extended versions of The Hobbit movies to be released. I did buy the theatrically released version on Blu-ray, though, and it looks stunning. As you would expect.



I have love me tender on blu-ray its amazing its never looked better.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:59 am

Love Me Tender. Before that, Lincoln.

I have a long way to go . . .

rjm

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:23 am

rjm wrote:Love Me Tender. Before that, Lincoln.

I have a long way to go . . .

rjm



Lincoln is a movie i have still to buy on blu-ray loved it !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:00 pm

You won't regret buying 'Lincoln'. Superb movie, brilliant in Blu-Ray. One thing that annoys me though is that there is an interview where Spielberg describes how he talked with Day-Lewis after filming had wrapped in his trailer and was disappointed the he had reverted to his own accent having been in character for the whole shoot. I can't find it again to save my life. What do they call them? Easter eggs or something? :?

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed May 07, 2014 8:25 pm

"Sincerely yours, ...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Wed May 07, 2014 9:08 pm

Bob-Holland wrote:"Sincerely yours, ...


Great, great movie.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 1:44 am

jak wrote:Got a good one to watch tonight.



Great movie. I just bought the Eureka Blu-ray. It looks superb and its a terrific package

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 3:00 pm

jak wrote:I've been on a Kirk Douglas kick lately. He's one of my top favorites. Every time I watch one of his films I always think to myself, now there is a movie star.


Kirk is one of my favourite actors, too. Always has been. I had planned and looked forward to a screening of Paths of Glory yesterday, but transport was against me and I couldn't make it. So disappointing!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 5:33 pm

I bought lincoln and road to perdition on blu-ray yesterday !!!

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 6:40 pm

jak wrote:
greystoke wrote:
jak wrote:I've been on a Kirk Douglas kick lately. He's one of my top favorites. Every time I watch one of his films I always think to myself, now there is a movie star.


Kirk is one of my favourite actors, too. Always has been. I had planned and looked forward to a screening of Paths of Glory yesterday, but transport was against me and I couldn't make it. So disappointing!


Another great film to be sure,Im sorry you missed it. Im certain youve seen Lonely Are The Brave. It's supposed to be one of Kirk's personal favorites I believe. I wish it would get a proper release on blu ray.


Lonely Are the Brave is a marvellous film, one of Kirk's finest in every way. I have this on Blu-ray, incidentally. Koch Media released this region free in Germany a year or so ago. It looks really good and comes in a lovely digibook with an essay and great photos. I can't read German, though. Still, I guess Eureka or Arrow may pick this up at some point, but this release is as good as it may get for this film.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 6:46 pm

rocknroller wrote:I bought lincoln and road to perdition on blu-ray yesterday !!!


I don't have Lincoln on Blu-ray yet, but Road to Perdition looks pretty solid on this format. It's also a fine movie that's maybe a bit underrated, or not particularly well remembered.

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 7:19 pm

greystoke wrote:I don't have Lincoln on Blu Ray yet....

Ouch greystoke! You've gone down a notch in my estimation. This puts you at notch 1 million and a bit. :wink:

Re: Last movie you bought !!!

Thu May 08, 2014 8:13 pm

Delboy wrote:
greystoke wrote:I don't have Lincoln on Blu Ray yet....

Ouch greystoke! You've gone down a notch in my estimation. This puts you at notch 1 million and a bit. :wink:


Argh!!! I'll try to do better. I have seen Lincoln, though. It's a handsome and admirable movie. Superbly acted and impressively staged.