Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: Eddie Cochran died 54 years ago today

Thu May 01, 2014 7:32 pm

Here's a rarity.

"Bongo Boy" was recorded in 1957 for Verve by one Danny Andrew, and it (kinda) dwells on beatnik culture. It features the unmistakable lead guitar work of Eddie Cochran :

phpBB [video]

Danny Andrew - "Bongo Boy" - Verve single 10115 - Recorded 1957.

V 10115 Danny Andrew - Bongo Boy / As Long As We're Together
Danny Andrew (vocals) and others
21892 Bongo Boy
21893 As Long As We're Together

http://www.jazzdisco.org/verve-records/catalog-45-rpm-10000-10100-series/

And here's "Billboard"'s review of it :

580203.JPG

Anybody's got the B-side to share??? :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 01, 2014 7:48 pm

This is off-topic, but the previous post reminded me of this similar disc (not featuring Cochran) :

phpBB [video]

Joe Hall with The Corvettes - "Bongo Beatin' Beatnik" - Global single 751 - Released 1959.

Well, I'm a bongo beatin' beatnik and I just don't dig rock and roll,
Yeah, I'm a bongo beatin' beatnik and I just can't stand rock and roll...

And the review, too :

590810.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 01, 2014 8:40 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:Obscure cover of the Sheeley/DeShannon Cochran tribute song "We'll Be Together Again":

phpBB [video]

Dex Romweber Duo (from the album Images 13)

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers. Interesting stuff.

I'm not very much into it, but I know Romweber from his earlier band, Flat Duo Jets, who used to cover obscure rockabilly songs in a very lo-fi style.

Yes, compared to Jackie DeShannon's recording, it's several notches below.
But I dig the fact that he even covered it in the first place.
Great intro too, which has shades of Orbison's "She's a Mystery to Me" [wr. Bono-The Edge].

Fri May 02, 2014 6:26 pm

I've never been a great fan of posthumous overdubs onto vintage masters.
However, the 1962 Snuff Garrett-produced Cochran recordings [the majority of which ended up on the much loved "Never to Be Forgotten" and "Cherished Memories" albums]; I have always been partial to.

Some classic examples:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Sat May 03, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks for this. Eddie did so much great stuff !

Sun May 04, 2014 10:04 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I've never been a great fan of posthumous overdubs onto vintage masters.
However, the 1962 Snuff Garrett-produced Cochran recordings [the majority of which ended up on the much loved "Never to Be Forgotten" and "Cherished Memories" albums]; I have always been partial to.

Some classic examples:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Yes, I also became familiar with many of those songs in their overdubbed form first, but once I got to know the undubbed recordings I have a hard listening to anything else. One extreme example is the overdubbed "Skinny Jim", with that overworked piano. The undubbed original (in fact, Eddie's first solo single, his only one for the Crest label, in 1956) is a classic. No need for further stuff added !

A couple of observations about "Little Angel" : it was overdubbed by Snuff Garrett in 1959, shortly after it was recorded, for release as a single that same year, coupled with "Hallelujah, I Love Her So" (also recorded and overdubbed at the same sessions). Please note that the YouTube video you posted features the undubbed master, which was not released until, I think, 1980. Most of the undubbed takes of this song have been released by now.

Thanks for the post, elvisalisellers.

Sun May 04, 2014 10:09 pm

Pictures of Eddie Cochran:

https://www.google.no/search?q=eddie+co ... 0&bih=1105

:smt006

Sun May 04, 2014 11:08 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Please note that the YouTube video you posted features the undubbed master...

No, it IS the 1962 dub mix.
Garrett used the undubbed take 10 [PRIOR to the vocal chorus overdub], on to which some nice acoustic guitar fills were recorded on top [quite high in the mix, too].

Sun May 04, 2014 11:20 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Please note that the YouTube video you posted features the undubbed master...

Garrett used the undubbed take 10 [PRIOR to the vocal chorus overdub], on to which some nice acoustic guitar fills were recorded on top [quite high in the mix, too].

This is a very interesting point. So, there are three formats available for take 10 :

**The original undubbed recording, not released until 1980.
**The vocal chorus overdub, released as a single in 1959.
**The 1962 dub mix - where did this one appear ?

Thanks again !

Sun May 04, 2014 11:56 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

This is a very interesting point. So, there are three formats available for take 10 :

**The original undubbed recording, not released until 1980.
**The vocal chorus overdub, released as a single in 1959.
**The 1962 dub mix - where did this one appear ?

Thanks again !

On the "Never to Be Forgotten" album.
[Note that the purported July 20, 1962 overdub date (Cochran sessions site) cannot be correct, as the album was released on January 5, 1962].

There is also a fourth format which includes a string overdub [available on the Bear Family box set].

The undubbed takes [plus the Garrett mix] are definitely the best, though.

Mon May 05, 2014 6:56 am

elvisalisellers wrote:On the "Never to Be Forgotten" album.
[Note that the purported July 20, 1962 overdub date (Cochran sessions site) cannot be correct, as the album was released on January 5, 1962].

There is also a fourth format which includes a string overdub [available on the Bear Family box set].

The undubbed takes [plus the Garrett mix] are definitely the best, though.

Thanks for the post.

This information raises some interesting points (for me, anyway) on "Little Angel".

I had always thought that the only available format for this song was the vocal overdub used as a single, until it was finally released undubbed. My reference has always been the French reissue of the UK "My Way" album, which had the single version. Maybe this was a mistake, and maybe it originally included the same take as "Never To Be Forgotten", which I never owned, thinking it was a superfluous compilation.

This would also clear a mystery : I never understood why the "The Legendary Eddie Cochran" rarities album from 1971 included the single version, as it was the "common one" for me, being already available in "My Way".

Regarding the Bear Family box set, I did not purchase it, as I already had 99% of its contents, and felt it was a lost opportunity to finally release some stuff that otherwise will probably never see the light of day.

But, you're right, it includes a string overdub for "Little Angel" that's unavailable anywhere else. It's one of the very few things exclusive to this box set. I had forgotten about it.

Thanks again !