Poll: Your favourite song from GGG except RTS?

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Your favourite song from the"Girls!Girls!Girls!"ST except"Return To Sender"?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:25 pm

Girls! Girls! Girls!
27%
I Don't Wanna Be Tied
15%
Where Do You Come From?
8%
I Don't Want To
3%
We'll Be Together
3%
A Boy Like Me, A Girl Like You
1%
Earth Boy
1%
Mama
1%
Plantation Rock
1%
Because Of Love
14%
Thanks To The Rolling Sea
4%
Song Of The Shrimp
14%
The Walls Have Ears
1%
We're Coming In Loaded
No votes
Dainty Little Moonbeams
3%
Girls! Girls! Girls! (End Title Version)
4%

Total votes: 78

Mister Moon

Re: Poll: Your favourite song from GGG except RTS?

Post by Mister Moon »

MysteryTrain wrote:I recognize some lyrics in the Coasters' version that Elvis didn't use and there are lyrics in Elvis' version that the Coasters didn't use. Also, the lyrics for the "end title" version are different than those used in either the Coasters' version or Elvis' main version.

My question is were there lyrics written especially for the movie? If so, who wrote them? Obviously, for legal reasons Leiber and Stoller would be given credit, but did they actually write them?
Very interesting post.

I would like to know the answer to those questions, too.

norrie
Registered for: 20 years

Post by norrie »

Girls ! Girls! Girls !

It's not big,it's not clever but it sure is a lot of Fun ! Fun ! Fun !

norrie

mysterytrainrideson
Banned
Banned
Registered for: 11 years 9 months

Post by mysterytrainrideson »

Mister Moon wrote:"Girls! Girls! Girls!", because I like the song as such, but it's light years away from "Return To Sender", which I think is one of his best early 60s recordings - and that's saying a lot.

But I have a problem with songs originally recorded by The Coasters, because I think that all their classic records were definitive, making other versions useless. Those songs were tailor-made for them by Leiber/Stoller, and the arrangements and the productions were just perfect. No matter who tried their hand at those songs: Elvis, Beatles, Stones, you name them, they couldn't top the original records, each and every one of them a masterpiece.

The Coasters recorded the original "Girls Girls Girls" on February 9, 1961 (at this same session, "Little Egypt" was put down on tape) and maybe it's not a too widely known fact that they recorded the song using two different arrangements : a slow one (named "Part I", and issued as the A-side of the single), and a fast one (named "Part II", and issued as the B-side). Elvis' version was based on Part II.
Jerry Leiber :
"Girls Girls Girls" is about a blustering, flustered teenage guy seeing girls everywhere - getting on buses, getting out of taxis - and he's completely overwhelmed with the possibilities.

Mike Stoller :
We did the song two different ways. One was in a 12/8 feel and the other was a sort of march. They both sounded pretty good, so we ended up putting them out back to back.

From the notes to "The Coasters - 50 Coastin' Classics" - Rhino Records 2-CD - 1992
And here are both sides of the single :

The Coasters - "Girls Girls Girls" (Part I) / "Girls Girls Girls" (Part II) - Atco single 6204 - Released July 1961.
Agreed. Elvis' version is ok but the Coasters' version is the one.

This user is no longer a member. They have either been banned or requested their account to be closed.

mjsantafe
Registered for: 18 years 10 months

Post by mjsantafe »

I voted for Because of Love.
In 1987 while traveling through Spain, I visited the very small and remote town of Ronda.
While sitting in a park enjoying the sights, a guy about my age at the time (mid 20s) walked by wearing an Elvis T-shirt. He had a boom box on his shoulder playing Elvis songs. I don't speak Spanish and he did not speak English, but somehow we spoke Elvis. He would hum an Elvis song and I would tell him the title of the song. With the help of a friend of his who acted as our interpreter, I wrote down a list of songs that he wanted to have on tape. Because of Love was one of them which I mailed to him after my returning to California.

I wonder if that fellow is a member of this forum?

Here's a photo of Ronda:

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

The title song and the beautiful, under-rated Song of the Shrimp

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

The Coasters are fine, but their style is rather comical. It is as if all their hits are novelty records. I'll take Elvis' version of Girls, Girls, Girls any day.

Mike Windgren
Registered for: 21 years

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
mjsantafe wrote:I voted for Because of Love.
In 1987 while traveling through Spain, I visited the very small and remote town of Ronda.
While sitting in a park enjoying the sights, a guy about my age at the time (mid 20s) walked by wearing an Elvis T-shirt. He had a boom box on his shoulder playing Elvis songs. I don't speak Spanish and he did not speak English, but somehow we spoke Elvis. He would hum an Elvis song and I would tell him the title of the song. With the help of a friend of his who acted as our interpreter, I wrote down a list of songs that he wanted to have on tape. Because of Love was one of them which I mailed to him after my returning to California.

I wonder if that fellow is a member of this forum?

Here's a photo of Ronda:
Yeah, that was me!. No, I was just kidding.... :wink:. Ronda is a beautiful old town, highly recommended. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

The song "Girls! Girls! Girls!" got a substantial re-write for Elvis and the movie of the same name. I wonder if Leiber and Stoller did the re-write. The lyrics for Elvis were in keeping with the islands and their proximity to the water. New lyrics for Elvis included:

Girls, in bikinis
. . .

Girls, sailin' sailboats,
Girls, water skiin',
They drive me out of my mind, yeah, yeah, yeah

Girls, big and brassy,
Girls, small and sassy,
Just give me one of each kind

. . .

Girls, out boatin',
Girls, just a-floatin'

. . .

Girls in kimonos,
Shy little flowers,
Smiling from beneath their parasols,
Dainty little moonbeans,
Delicate as China,
Gentle little Oriental dolls,

Girls, from Tahiti,
Girls, from Somoa,
Wearin’ shirts made of grass, yeah, yeah, yeah
Brazilian beauties,
Castilian cuties, si, si, si, yes, yes, yes
From Manila,
From Bali Bali,
Twistin’ every which a-way, yeah, yeah, yeah
Girls, in tight sweaters,
Girls, in short dresses,
From the good ol’ U.S.A.,

I’m just a red blooded boy
And I can’t stop thinking’ about
Girls! Girls! Girls! Girls! Girls! Girls!

Gone were the following lyrics used by the Coasters:

Girls, sitting on the buses,
Girls, getting outta taxis

. . .

Girls, playing tennis,
Skippin' around in the park,
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

Girls, riding horses,
And roller skating,
La da da in the dark
Last edited by MysteryTrain on Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

George Smith
Registered for: 16 years 10 months

Post by George Smith »

Mister Moon wrote:
MysteryTrain wrote:I recognize some lyrics in the Coasters' version that Elvis didn't use and there are lyrics in Elvis' version that the Coasters didn't use. Also, the lyrics for the "end title" version are different than those used in either the Coasters' version or Elvis' main version.

My question is were there lyrics written especially for the movie? If so, who wrote them? Obviously, for legal reasons Leiber and Stoller would be given credit, but did they actually write them?

Very interesting post.

Dudley Brooks and Charles O'Curran is a possible answer.

They composed a couple of tunes for that soundtrack pretty much in the studio from what I understand.

They would have been a logical option if new lyrics were suddenly required on 28th March.

WALK A LONELY STREET
Elvis Presley, Country Music &
The True Story of Heartbreak Hotel

Now available from Amazon

http://www.GeorgeSmithPublications.com
https://www.facebook.com/WalkALonelyStreet/

Mister Moon

Post by Mister Moon »

George Smith wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Very interesting post.

They composed a couple of tunes for that soundtrack pretty much in the studio from what I understand.

They would have been a logical option if new lyrics were suddenly required on 28th March.

Thanks for the post, George.

Maybe FECC member PStoller could give us additional info on this.

MysteryTrain

Post by MysteryTrain »

George,

I agree Dudley Brooks and Charles O'Curran are likely choices. Since Leiber and Stoller weren't actively writing for Elvis by the time "Girls! Girls! Girls! was filmed and the soundtrack recorded, it seems unlikely they would have been commissioned for such a substantial re-write. More than likely, the new lyrics were cleared with them, but, of course (and rightly so) they did not give up any of their writing credit.

MT

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Bob-Holland wrote:Very interesting to see that the song that has been flushed down the toilet quite often on this forum is riding high in the poll: Song Of The Shrimp! :smt023

It's certainly well-sung, that's for sure.

I think I mentioned elsewhere that the song would sound less "clunky" to my ears had the word "shrimp" been dropped from the first line of the chorus, giving the more universal and digestible (no pun) lyric:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;
Here come the shrimp boat for to take me (to) Louisian."

"Mama Shrimp" is just a banal phrase that does the song no favours.

WALK A LONELY STREET

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

Bob-Holland wrote:
George Smith wrote:
Bob-Holland wrote:Very interesting to see that the song that has been flushed down the toilet quite often on this forum is riding high in the poll: Song Of The Shrimp! :smt023

I think I mentioned elsewhere that the song would sound less "clunky" to my ears had the word "shrimp" been dropped from the first line of the chorus, giving the more universal and digestible (no pun) lyric:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

A lot of old songs, especially maybe children's songs, are full of banal phrases. You will sometimes here lyrics that are incredibly female-unfriendly, discriminating, sexistic, etc.
It must have something to do with the timeframe in which they were written or first released.
'Song Of The Shrimp' is not that old of course, but the words "Mama Shrimp" might not have sounded that banal 50 years ago, especially not for a child from Louisian. :smt002
Very happy that we agree to disagree, Bob.

WALK A LONELY STREET

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

George Smith wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Very interesting post.

Given that Leiber and Stoller are on record as having nothing directly to do with Elvis after the "G.I. Blues" project fiasco, I believe your suggestion is extremely likely.

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

drjohncarpenter

Post by drjohncarpenter »

George Smith wrote:It's certainly well-sung, that's for sure.

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. ;-)

Dr. John Carpenter, M.D.
Stop, look and listen, baby <<--->> that's my philosophy!

rickeap
Registered for: 18 years 3 months

Post by rickeap »

Bob-Holland wrote:
George Smith wrote:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

A lot of old songs, especially maybe children's songs, are full of banal phrases. You will sometimes here lyrics that are incredibly female-unfriendly, discriminating, sexistic, etc.
It must have something to do with the timeframe in which they were written or first released.
'Song Of The Shrimp' is not that old of course, but the words "Mama Shrimp" might not have sounded that banal 50 years ago, especially not for a child from Louisian. :smt002
I wonder if it was called `Take Me Lousian' would the song have a better reputation?

joekro1977
Registered for: 10 years 10 months

Post by joekro1977 »

Love the title track - very catchy

It's 800 miles from my house to Graceland, but I'm always up for making the trip!

stevelecher
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by stevelecher »

Except for one line in it, I love the song and the performance of Because Of Love. It's just a lovely ballad and then, "...and life is sweet as cherry cream pie." I don't know why that line seems so much worse to me than "like a little old ball," but it is. I love the song and grit my teeth when the offending line comes on.

Count me in as another who finds Song Of The Shrimp charming. However, I only play it when I'm alone. Wouldn't expect a newbie to hear the song in my car and dig it. I consider it a guilty pleasure.

George Smith

Post by George Smith »

drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

Oink !

Actually, I don't mind this song, nor the soundtrack as a whole. The singing is just beautiful. He still cared.
rickeap wrote:I wonder if it was called `Take Me Lousian' would the song have a better reputation?
Perfectly valid point, thank you.

WALK A LONELY STREET

r&b

Post by r&b »

rickeap wrote:
Bob-Holland wrote:
George Smith wrote:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

I wonder if it was called `Take Me Lousian' would the song have a better reputation?
No matter what the title, it would still start off with:
I saw three shrimp in the water, two were old and gray.

Still smells like shellfish

Mike Windgren

Post by Mike Windgren »

Hi there!! :D :D :D.
drjohncarpenter wrote:

"Goodbye, Mama;
Papa, shake my hand;

A pig that is a little nice catchy tune sung by a golden voice :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Maestro. Mike Windgren. Torero!!!!!!!!.
Always Trying To Make Peace <<--->> On FECC
Not The Best, Just The Coolest Guy Around!.

Viva el vino, viva el dinero, viva, viva el amor!!.

jurasic1968
Registered for: 11 years 8 months

Post by jurasic1968 »

I believe these words were the most ridiculous of a song recorded by Elvis Presley.

skatterbrane

Post by skatterbrane »

Song Of The Shrimp is a parable.

Topic author
luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 10 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

So in the end I was correct about the title song as being the favourite track after "Return To Sender" among some of us fans around here.

Nice to see my third-favourite song "I Don't Wanna Be Tied" close to it, followed by "Song Of The Shrimp" ( :shock: ) and the beautifully sung "Because Of Love".

"Where Do You Come From" comes in fourth, maybe because of the inclusion on the RTS single.

Funny the only song that didn't get a single vote was "We're Coming In Loaded". I like this little obscene song very much.

Thanks for all the contributors and voters! ::rocks

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

JerryNodak

Post by JerryNodak »

I like We're Coming In Loaded, too. But you could only pick one and I like Because Of Love, more.