Chat talk and light discussion

Game of Thrones

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:41 am

Anyone here been watching this fabulous HBO show based upon the Song of Ice and Fire series of books by American author George RR Martin? I've read all the books released thus far and eagerly await the final two to bring the saga to it's conclusion. While the tv show has understandably streamlined the written words into a more linear and tv friendly order it has still been a joy to behold and a fitting adaptation. With season four begun, five and six confirmed and most likely it all being tied up on the seventh series, if anyone hasn't seen it now would be a great time to get on board.

Re: Game of Thrones

Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Couldn't agree more Jak, the scope of the story is huge, the first three books are better than anything Tolkien wrote in my opinion, the fourth meanders a bit and the fifth hits back on form again. This series has plenty to offer if going by the books is anything to judge. HBO have done the impossible in bringing this story to the screen and I cannot recommend it highly enough to anyone on the fence about watching it. Does look as though they will overtake the notoriously slow author in completion though.

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:01 pm

Nothing wrong with that Jak, me, a couple of bottles of Pinot Grigio and an evening viewing a favourite tv series sounds perfect. With Game of Thrones there are so many story strands and the canvas so broad repeated viewing is not only valued but indeed, necessary. Binge away!

Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:46 pm

...ooooooooooooft, the Purple Wedding!!

Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:06 am

My wife had read the books and was going on about the series so I endulged her and watched it with her not expecting to enjoy it too much but boy I was wrong.From the word go it has been a visual feast,a masterclass of storytelling,great acting,unbelievable action with a good helping of gore,romance,treachery,double crossing,sex and heaps of violence and I'm loving every minute of it.In a way I'm glad I knew nothing about it as I don't know what is going to happen next with major characters being killed off(or are they) by the dozen.Top notch TV.

norrie

Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:02 pm

Couldnt agree more Norrie, I've read all the books, with the exception of A Feast for Crows which does meander a bit, they are better than anything Tolkien has written, they really are that good, huge in scope, characters in the hundreds and a truly epic world woven into a saga that never lets you go. After season one I had to read them because the cliffhanger got the better of me. The tv show has streamlined the story somewhat but that is perhaps the only way possible to make a coherent show. Sadly I know now most of the big events before they happen but the show is savy enough to go in its own direction enough to keep even the die hards guessing at times. After this season Id say you are safe to read the first three books without getting ahead of the show.
ps...no one is safe in this story..or season. :wink:

Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:21 am

I had heard so much about this series but never indulged as I'm not really a TV person to sit for hours watching anything.
got bored watching Lord of the rings and the hobbit so I just thought not for me not my thing.

then my girlfriend came home from work one day and said everyone was talking about it and could I download it as she wanted to see what all the fuss was about ..so I did .. all four seasons that are available and she watched and she watched daily sometimes for 5 or 6 hours at a time and all the while she was watching I was probably on FECC ( opportunity to have some me time I thought)

All the time she is telling me you should watch you would like it lots of sex and violence.
So anyway after she finished watching all 40 episodes she made me sit down and just watch the fist episode, actually I couldn't stand her moaning any more.

MAN was I glad I did .................What an unbelievable series from that first episode I was gripped and wanted to watch more and more ( and not just because of the sex and violence) but the story was enthralling so many twists, sub plots , and deceptions I was totally hooked.

the more I watched the more I wanted to watch, I can honestly say I have never been so hooked on a TV series before it just holds your attention from the first to last minute of each episode.

and now I have reached the end of season four and have to wait until April 2015 for season 5 so I need to find the girlfriend another programme to watch so I can come back to FECC and catch up with what's happening in the Elvis world.

oh and my favourite character has to be the "imp" without a doubt , I was so sad for him when he was framed own family but he still lives :D :D

great show