Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:11 pm

ElvisLife wrote:Awesome thanks.

You're welcome, ElvisLife !

Re: Grace Kelly stands up for black artists - 1956

Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:51 am

A couple more from the same series...

Grace Kelly Jamaica 1955g.jpg

Kelly Conant 55 b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:12 am

phpBB [video]

Grace Kelly Off To Monaco - Footage captured Wednesday, April 4, 1956. New York, Pier 84.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:02 pm

More Grace photos from that trip :

Kelly x.jpg

Kelly z.jpg

Kelly n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri May 30, 2014 11:08 pm

Another video (partially) about the departure :

phpBB [video]

And a newsreel of the arrival to Monaco :

phpBB [video]

Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Today I'm on a Grace Kelly kick, as I have purchased "Dial M For Murder" on DVD. I will probably watch it tomorrow.

And as we are getting closer to what would have been Grace's 85th. birthday (November 12), let's get this cool topic revived with another nice photo.

Dig those gloves ! :

Kelly mag.jpg

Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:36 am

Go, Grace, go !

560330 a.JPG

560330 b.jpg

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:05 am

Another image from the travel :

img0096B (2).jpg

Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:53 am

Mister Moon wrote:Today I'm on a Grace Kelly kick, as I have purchased "Dial M For Murder" on DVD. I will probably watch it tomorrow.

And as we are getting closer to what would have been Grace's 85th. birthday (November 12), let's get this cool topic revived with another nice photo.

Dig those gloves ! :

Kelly mag.jpg

I watched the Blu-ray of Dial M for Murder a few weeks ago and saw it on the big screen in 3D last year. It's a superb movie. Quite underrated in some ways, but I love the performances, stately pace and Hitchcock's direction. His framing and composition was keen as mustard here, but it's the intricacies that makes this movie fascinating. This, and John Williams' wonderful performance as the Chief Inspector. He's almost like a prototype for Columbo. And Grace Kelly is just sublime, of course.

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:56 pm

Greystoke wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Today I'm on a Grace Kelly kick, as I have purchased "Dial M For Murder" on DVD. I will probably watch it tomorrow.

Dig those gloves ! :

Kelly mag.jpg

I watched the Blu-ray of Dial M for Murder a few weeks ago and saw it on the big screen in 3D last year. It's a superb movie. Quite underrated in some ways, but I love the performances, stately pace and Hitchcock's direction. His framing and composition was keen as mustard here, but it's the intricacies that makes this movie fascinating. This, and John Williams' wonderful performance as the Chief Inspector. He's almost like a prototype for Columbo. And Grace Kelly is just sublime, of course.

Yes, John Williams is always a delight to watch. He also appeared in several episodes of Hitchcock's TV series, in one of them portraying a killer, which is a bit shocking as one tends to think of him as the nice gentleman we see in "Dial M For Murder", for example.

And I agree that he's something of a pre-Columbo in that movie. He never lets up, until he finds the key (pun intended !) to the mystery !

Thanks !

Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:59 pm

Another nice photo for the collection :

GRACE KELLY WAVES GOOD-BYE FROM DECK OF LINER.

Actress leaves New York for her wedding to Prince Rainier.

Grace x.jpg

Grace y.jpg

Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:23 pm

And another one, from "Life" magazine :

Grace dogs.jpg

Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:45 pm

This is a better version of one of the photos posted in page one of this topic :

Grace a.jpg

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:20 pm

It seems that celebrities started pushing home the race issue in the 1950s, and making noise about it. For example, the following is from a Sinatra interview and included on the Sinatra: Vegas set.

phpBB [video]

Perhaps the big unsung hero in this regard, though, was jazz impresario and Ella Fitzgerald's manager, Norman Granz, who did a great deal to fight for equality both for black musicians and for audiences. Geoffrey Mark Fidelman writes in his biography of Fitzgerald how Granz refused to have any of his musicians play for segregated audiences, and there was a clause in all his concert contracts that demanded equality in the selling of tickets and seating. If the clause was broken, everyone got paid but no-one performed. When Fitzgerald and her musicians were refused first class seating on an airline in 1953, Granz sued the airline, winning a large out of court settlement.

When Ella was due to appear on the Bell Telephone Hour TV show in 1959, the sponsors objected to Ella having her band made up of both black and white musicians. In the end, the performance took place with the band out of sight. Granz took out a two-page advert in Variety which included the following:

"I submit that [NBC] concern itself with the principles of human rights and human dignities rather than the fixing of quiz shows. They must concern themselves with sponsors' policies which foster racial prejudice - the worst kind of prejudice in America. It isn't even a question, as is often put, of the eyes of the world upon us; it's simply respect for our fellow man..."

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:56 pm

Thanks for this beautiful post, poormadpeter.

The Sinatra recording is priceless, thank you. I see this is included as a bonus track for a 1961 live recording. Is this a 1961 interview too ?

Also, very interesting to read about Norman Granz and his fight against racism.

Another remarkable example of celebrities breaking racial barriers would be that of Artie Shaw hiring Billie Holiday as a singer for his orchestra in 1938. By most accounts, Shaw did not enjoy interviews and the like, and after he retired from music he lived a pretty reclusive life. But I once saw a Billie Holiday documentary where several related people spoke about her, and one of them was Shaw. I can't check the exact quote, but he explained the difficulties they found when they played certain places, like the Southern states. Once, during a concert, there was a member of the audience who kept insulting and bothering Billie. Shaw was directing the orchestra, and could see how she was gradually changing the look in her face and, literally, getting about to explode. Then, during an instrumental passage, or maybe in between songs, Billie walked to the edge of the stage, got closer to the guy and told him "motherf***er!". The guy turned pale, and walked away from the stage.

Thanks again !

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:07 pm

I think this newsreel is not included in the previous uploads in this thread :

phpBB [video]

Sun Mar 08, 2015 11:53 pm

With her parents, during the same trip :

Grace parents.jpg

Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:13 am

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks for this beautiful post, poormadpeter.

The Sinatra recording is priceless, thank you. I see this is included as a bonus track for a 1961 live recording. Is this a 1961 interview too ?

Another remarkable example of celebrities breaking racial barriers would be that of Artie Shaw hiring Billie Holiday as a singer for his orchestra in 1938. By most accounts, Shaw did not enjoy interviews and the like, and after he retired from music he lived a pretty reclusive life. But I once saw a Billie Holiday documentary where several related people spoke about her, and one of them was Shaw. I can't check the exact quote, but he explained the difficulties they found when they played certain places, like the Southern states. Once, during a concert, there was a member of the audience who kept insulting and bothering Billie. Shaw was directing the orchestra, and could see how she was gradually changing the look in her face and, literally, getting about to explode. Then, during an instrumental passage, or maybe in between songs, Billie walked to the edge of the stage, got closer to the guy and told him "motherf***er!". The guy turned pale, and walked away from the stage.

Thanks again !

That sounds like Billie Holiday! As for the Sinatra recording, no date is given in the booklet for the boxed set - I think it might be later than 1961, going by the sound of his voice, but I may be mistaken. Greystoke may well know the answer!

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

Thanks again !

That sounds like Billie Holiday! As for the Sinatra recording, no date is given in the booklet for the boxed set - I think it might be later than 1961, going by the sound of his voice, but I may be mistaken. Greystoke may well know the answer!

I think this is an excerpt from Frank's interview with Arlene Francis in 1981.

Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:37 pm

Greystoke wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Thanks again !

I think this is an excerpt from Frank's interview with Arlene Francis in 1981.

Thanks, Greystoke !