Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New movie soundtrack box

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:09 am

still a very nice boxset (for the price) and easy to dip into again and AGAIN glad i got mine -although i bought it from ebay!~ :D

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 am

I received my soundtrack box courtesy Amazon (U.K.) via USPS yesterday (Tuesday). Took 7 business days. Great to finally have it. Gonna do a lot of soundtrack listening in the days ahead. They take me from the age of 7 through the age of 18.

YDKM: The distortion heard on "Blue River" is also present on my original copy of Double Trouble and my original 45 RPM of the single. Didn't notice it listening on my cheap record player back in the day.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:55 am

yeah that BLUE RIVER distortion is a real downer~! :? :cry:

Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:30 pm

Sure wish they would have included the Love Me Tender and Easy Come, Easy Go EPs. Could have added LMT to the Loving You disc and ECEG to the Spinout or Double Trouble disc.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:01 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Sure wish they would have included the Love Me Tender and Easy Come, Easy Go EPs. Could have added LMT to the Loving You disc and ECEG to the Spinout or Double Trouble disc.

I'm glad they didn't add those tracks to the other soundtrack cds in order to preserve the original album aspect. However, I think the follow that dream/kid galahad/flaming star compilation could've easily fit all the soundtrack ep's on in a kind of 'catch all' disc. Glad your enjoying it though!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:16 pm

A catch all ep disc. Good idea. I didn't think of that. Neither did "they" I guess. Once again, a job only partly done. The story of Elvis' catalog.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:05 pm

Yep, the Elvis Presley catalog is nothing if it isn't several attempts never finished to provide at least the complete original catalog. Even if you take ALL the attempts together and gather them in one place, the entire original USA catalog cannot be collected on CD as of yet.

Yes, it would have been nice to see Love Me Tender and Easy Come, Easy Go on this collection somehow. And as a bonus the other soundtracks that were never on their own EP or LP too (Live A Little, Love A Little, Charro, Trouble With Girls and Change Of Habit), well at least the songs that came out on singles or Camdens originally. I do not need the superfluous songs like Violet, Whiffenpoof or signs Of The Zodiac.

And yes, the distortion on Blue River has been faithfully reproduced as it was originally released!! Yahoo! My favorite version of Blue River is on the FTD Double Trouble, the repeated ending WITHOUT the fade.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:15 pm

I *finally* got my copy from Amazon USA, and the back cover of Double Trouble is as it should be (i.e., no bonus songs). I guess there was a second pressing where they fixed that mistake?

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:37 pm

Eggrert wrote:I *finally* got my copy from Amazon USA, and the back cover of Double Trouble is as it should be (i.e., no bonus songs). I guess there was a second pressing where they fixed that mistake?

Wow, I wonder if other errors have been corrected too, like the Follow That Dream version of A Whistling Tune be erroneously listed and the sequencing of the Viva Los Vegas song listing? No wonder there was such a delay, as they were reissuing it!! Now the original box is going to be worth.......ONE MILLION DOLLARS!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Eggrert wrote:I *finally* got my copy from Amazon USA, and the back cover of Double Trouble is as it should be (i.e., no bonus songs). I guess there was a second pressing where they fixed that mistake?

Blimey - that's two corrections that have been made in recent months. I wonder if there is an offer to replace the first run copies!

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:41 pm

Looking again, it looks like though the tracklisting for Double Trouble is correct, it does not contain the original artwork! It credits Ernst, Lene Reidel, etc. It also has a 2004 copyright date, as well as the familiar disclaimers about "the enclosed record graphics." I wonder if they just fixed the tracklisting and didn't do anything else?!

I don't have my copy of the DF Follow That Dream with me, so I can't check A Whistling Tune, but I'll check VLV.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah the front and back covers of Double Trouble on the original LP are virtually the same.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:48 pm

Some of the errors listed at http://www.elvisoncd.com/frame.htm?http ... -eu14.html have been fixed in the version I have.

- Loving You features the correct track listing
- FTD/KG/FS does NOT list the FTD version of A Whistling Tune

The VLV track listing is STILL incorrect. And again, the Double Trouble disc DOES have the correct track listing, but it's not the original artwork.
Last edited by Eggrert on Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Very cool indeed. The prices have gone up almost everywhere on this box. Now that it has been reissued, I am sure it will come down again.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:49 pm

It looks like the booklet has the correct VLV tracklisting, but the FTD/KG/FS list still contains both versions of A Whistling Tune. Not sure if this is a change from the original issue...

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Eggrert wrote:It looks like the booklet has the correct VLV tracklisting, but the FTD/KG/FS list still contains both versions of A Whistling Tune. Not sure if this is a change from the original issue...

The original issue has an error on VLV listing in the booklet too, it switches the order of The Lady Loves Me for Texas Medley. I doubt if they corrected the booklet at all. It is just so damned hard to correct ALL mistakes. It is best to do them piecemeal or abandon all attempts after the first half-assed one.

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 pm

Eggrert wrote:It looks like the booklet has the correct VLV tracklisting, but the FTD/KG/FS list still contains both versions of A Whistling Tune. Not sure if this is a change from the original issue...

I had mine since it came out and the booklet lists 12 songs for 'Loving You' and incorrectly lists FTD/KG/FS as having two 'A Whistling Tune's and swaps two tracks out of sequence on the VLV track listing. I'd be very surprised if they have done a reprint on the booklet at all. I enjoy it though, despite the mistakes...

Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks for the info about the booklet. I didn't check the whole VLV list (I just assumed it was correct after seeing that I Need Somebody To Lean On was correctly listed as the second track...silly me). I agree, it's probably far easier (and cheaper) to redo a cardboard sleeve or two.

To be honest, the mistakes don't bother me all that much...what I do wish is that they'd put all the non-LP soundtrack songs onto the FTD/KG/FS CD (if there's not enough time, then append the songs to other CDs...e.g., LMT on the JR CD). Still, I'm not complaining about getting all these remastered tracks for $40.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:02 am

Eggrert wrote:Thanks for the info about the booklet. I didn't check the whole VLV list (I just assumed it was correct after seeing that I Need Somebody To Lean On was correctly listed as the second track...silly me). I agree, it's probably far easier (and cheaper) to redo a cardboard sleeve or two.

To be honest, the mistakes don't bother me all that much...what I do wish is that they'd put all the non-LP soundtrack songs onto the FTD/KG/FS CD (if there's not enough time, then append the songs to other CDs...e.g., LMT on the JR CD). Still, I'm not complaining about getting all these remastered tracks for $40.

I had mentioned that before somewhere: a kind of catch all EP soundtrack CD : LMT/FTD/KG/FS/ECEG etc. and the EP only versions of some of the King Creole tracks would've been cool; but now I'm being too imaginative!! :D

Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:05 am

Yes, they entirely forgot the Love Me Tender, Tickle Me and Easy Come-Easy Go EPs. Lobe Me Tender and Wild In The Country could have been on one disc. Some of these boxes have 25 discs. They could also have included Stay Away Joe, Live A Little-Love A Little, Charro, The Trouble With Girls and Change Of Habit on one disc.

I guess we will have to wait for another box set to get the rest of Elvis' LPs and EPs not included on these first two 20 disc boxes.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 1:51 am

Odd that they didn't fix the back cover to Double Trouble. That is the biggest and most obvious mistake.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:41 am

skatterbrane wrote:Yes, they entirely forgot the Love Me Tender, Tickle Me and Easy Come-Easy Go EPs. Lobe Me Tender and Wild In The Country could have been on one disc. Some of these boxes have 25 discs. They could also have included Stay Away Joe, Live A Little-Love A Little, Charro, The Trouble With Girls and Change Of Habit on one disc.

I guess we will have to wait for another box set to get the rest of Elvis' LPs and EPs not included on these first two 20 disc boxes.

To my knowledge, all of the boxes dedicated to one artist are 20 discs - the genre boxes are 25. I still think this is paving the way for a complete albums box next year, hence why they were so keen on sticking to the original albums for the most part.

Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:48 am

I'm loving this box; the Jailhouse Rock CD sounds fantastic (I only had a few of these tracks in their remastered forms), and it's a delight to hear the original Harum Scarum mix. It's always been a favorite of mine, but I only had the Double Features version. I can see why people hate the original mix, but I like having Elvis' voice so high up. I'm hearing things I never did before, like his grunt at the end of the title track, and the "ums" at the end of Shake That Tambourine. His voice on Golden Coins sounds absolutely divine; on the DF mix, it gets lost. I love that we have all these alternate mixes (no, I'm not being sarcastic!). It's part of the fun of being an Elvis fan. :D

Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:01 am

Eggrert wrote:I'm loving this box; the Jailhouse Rock CD sounds fantastic (I only had a few of these tracks in their remastered forms), and it's a delight to hear the original Harum Scarum mix. It's always been a favorite of mine, but I only had the Double Features version. I can see why people hate the original mix, but I like having Elvis' voice so high up. I'm hearing things I never did before, like his grunt at the end of the title track, and the "ums" at the end of Shake That Tambourine. His voice on Golden Coins sounds absolutely divine; on the DF mix, it gets lost. I love that we have all these alternate mixes (no, I'm not being sarcastic!). It's part of the fun of being an Elvis fan. :D

I know what you mean. Funny, getting this box set makes me feel like I'm getting something new. I'm not really, but everything sounds good and I'm reminded of how much fun I had buying these soundtracks on LP's when they first were released back in the 60's.