Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

"Shindig!" photos from vintage magazine

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 pm

I found online a series of nice photos scanned from a vintage promotional magazine for the "Shindig!" TV show.

This is the first batch. Stay tuned for more !

Good, O'Neill.jpg

Everlys, Faith, Orbison.jpg

O'Neill, Loren, Sedaka.jpg

Bobby Rydell, dancers.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shindig!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "Shindig!" photos from vintage magazine

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:44 pm

Neat. Did you know Jack Good had a role in 1967's "Clambake"? Or knew the Beatles as well?

I posted that "Shindig!" page and more on another topic, here's some of it:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Jack Good was a pioneering UK and US TV producer, as well as a record producer, musician and actor. Among other things, he helped to create ABC-TV's "Shindig!"

George Harrison, Jack Good (producer), John Lennon - "Shindig" U.K. taping, Saturday, October 3, 1964

Jack Good (producer)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Good_(producer)
http://www.rockabilly.nl/references/messages/jack_good.htm

Jack played a small role in "Clambake" as Hathaway, the front desk clerk.

At the April 1967 film after-party, Good spoke to Presley in the same straightforward, almost desperately earnest manner that John Lennon had done two years earlier, when the Beatles visited 565 Perugia Way. The conversation was recalled in Jerry Hopkins' 1971 biography on Elvis:

"Clambake" was one of the really, really awful ones. There was a party after the film was completed, with Lance LeGault's band playing. And Elvis wouldn't sing. Slowly, Lance got him into a blues thing, "Let It Roll" [sic]. And he was terrific. And I thought what a shame he doesn't do that sort of thing in the film. I said to Elvis, "Why do you keep making these rotten films? Why don't you do something exciting, like "King Creole"? He said he left all that to the Colonel, but that the Colonel promised something really exciting soon, real soon.

- Jack Good

Right on! Good gave a voice to what millions of fans were thinking: "why have you abandoned ship, Elvis?"

The song where Elvis joined Lance LeGault's band and rocked the house was Jimmy Reed's "Baby What You Want Me To Do," which Presley almost recorded in Nashville that August, and performed live for the NBC-TV cameras in June 1968 in stunning fashion.

Better late than never!

Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:28 am

Nice post, Doc. Yes, Good was a very important figure during those years. Also, he's usually mentioned in connection with Gene Vincent's all-leather image, which became a trademark for the singer during the sixties, and was later used by others too, Elvis among them.

A few more photos :

Righteous, Cole.jpg

Gerry Marsden, dancers.jpg

Jack Good, dancers.jpg

Tina Turner.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:46 am

See if you can find some photos of the Shindogs, the house band for ABC-TV's "Shindig!"

Chuck Blackwell
Joey Cooper
Delaney Bramlett
James Burton
Glen D. Hardin

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 pm

Sadly, there aren't any photos of The Shindogs in that magazine. Thanks for posting those two !

These are the remaining photos :

Donna Loren.jpg

Jack Good, dancers b.jpg

Jimmy O'Neill, Donna Loren, Bobby Sherman.jpg

Manfred Mann, dancers.jpg

Neil Sedaka.jpg

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:06 pm

Shelyne, O'Neill.jpg

Vinton, Loren, O'Neill.jpg

Willy Nelson.jpg

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:08 pm

And my two favorite photos in the series !

The Blossoms b.jpg

The Blossoms.jpg

Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:33 pm

Mister Moon wrote:And my two favorite photos in the series !

Oh, Darlene Love and the Blossoms! "Talented performers" is an understatement.

Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:And my two favorite photos in the series !

Oh, Darlene Love and the Blossoms! "Talented performers" is an understatement.

Great singers, and classy ladies, indeed !

Ed Wood would have loved those sweaters.