Post here your Elvis' pictures

Adios, Vegas!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:52 pm

A pretty neat shot from ebay, and if the writing on the back of the photo is anything to go by (nevermind the wrong date), this is possibly among the very last photos of Elvis in Las Vegas - taking the final bows at the end of his closing show in December '76.

Did a quick "clean up" for the photo, but I have a feeling the original (properly scanned) would look a lot nicer. :lol:
Still a nice shot.

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Photo-RAR ... 4d1ab478cd
adios.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 pm

onelove wrote:A pretty neat shot from ebay, and if the writing on the back of the photo is anything to go by (nevermind the wrong date), this is possibly among the very last photos of Elvis in Las Vegas - taking the final bows at the end of his closing show in December '76.

Did a quick "clean up" for the photo, but I have a feeling the original (properly scanned) would look a lot nicer. :lol:
Still a nice shot.

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Elvis-Photo-RARE-Alexandria-Miller-LAST-VEGAS-SHOW-CURTAIN-CALL-PHOTO-12-10-76-/331160516813
Image



Nice find, but you cannot tell me he doesn't look like a guy who is completely burned out playing that dead-end town.

Nearly 650 performances in less than 7 and a half years. He should have given none.

Looks like this one was taken by super-fan and friend Alexandria "Sandi" Miller?

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:55 pm

Nearly 650 performances in less than 7 and a half years. He should have given none.


You don't think Elvis should ever have played Vegas at all Doc? I definitely agree he shouldn't have played there as often or for so long, but not sure I'd agree with never.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:10 pm

DarrylMac wrote:
Nearly 650 performances in less than 7 and a half years. He should have given none.


You don't think Elvis should ever have played Vegas at all Doc? I definitely agree he shouldn't have played there as often or for so long, but not sure I'd agree with never.


Absolutely, yes. Never.

I have seen major artists play to a Vegas audience. It is the deadest group of people I have ever spent time with, anywhere. I cannot imagine someone as enormously creative and restlessly talented as Elvis Presley having to face such crowds hundreds and hundreds of times, then retreat to his suite to await the next curtain call. It is a soul KILLER.

Trade ALL of those gigs for performances in Europe, Asia and Oceania. Think he would have died at 42?

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:38 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:I have to agree with Doc. Those closest to Elvis said that at the end, he hated that town. Elvis needed a new change of scenery...overseas tour or something.


I agree, too. Elvis' shows in 1969 were transcendent performances, but it wasn't because of Vegas. He was incredible despite Vegas. If only the Colonel had the foresight to keep Elvis' creative juices stimulated by having him perform in different countries, things would have turned out a lot differently. Elvis in Vegas in 1969 was about as cool as it gets but it turned out to be a terrible mistake in the long run. Those flaccid Vegas audiences eventually brought out the worst in him.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:10 am

Elvis hated playing Vegas as early as February 1970, he said that in his Astrodome press conference. I agree with the Doc here, no Vegas would have been ok with me, despite his many great shows there.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:40 am

Joe Car wrote:Elvis hated playing Vegas as early as February 1970, he said that in his Astrodome press conference. I agree with the Doc here, no Vegas would have been ok with me, despite his many great shows there.


It's a shame that the Colonel didn't seem to have a clue what his sole client was all about. You'd think he would have learned his lesson after the movie years that complacency brought out the worst in Elvis. Had he opened his eyes and thought about something besides himself it would have been clear to him that Elvis needed some sort of challenge at all times. It was pretty clear that if Elvis wasn't stimulated then he'd sink into apathy. Somehow Colonel Tom Parker missed that. He did not deserve Elvis.

Thanks for the post, onelove.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:39 am

InheritTheWind wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Elvis hated playing Vegas as early as February 1970, he said that in his Astrodome press conference. I agree with the Doc here, no Vegas would have been ok with me, despite his many great shows there.


It's a shame that the Colonel didn't seem to have a clue what his sole client was all about. You'd think he would have learned his lesson after the movie years that complacency brought out the worst in Elvis. Had he opened his eyes and thought about something besides himself it would have been clear to him that Elvis needed some sort of challenge at all times. It was pretty clear that if Elvis wasn't stimulated then he'd sink into apathy. Somehow Colonel Tom Parker missed that. He did not deserve Elvis.

Thanks for the post, onelove.


So true. Well said sir!!

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:01 pm

I have to say, for a short while at least, while the challenge was fresh, Vegas did bring something out of Elvis. He rehearsed for new engagements, brought lots of new material in, really cared. Maybe just have one engagement every 18 months or so, as part of an overall strategy that took him in other directions as well, not just world tours, as they'd have become routine too, but other creative challenges such as a duets project, an interesting movie or two, maybe an autobiography, some well chosen TV spots etc etc.

I know it's all hypothesis, and we can all say "what if", but Elvis was the greatest attraction Vegas had ever known, and for a while, it was his realm.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I agree with Doc, "Elvis should have given none."

After finishing American Studios recording sessions in '69, we have a killer Elvis! You have got to hear this man's voice:ELVIS ROCKS!

Image

Elvis a lean, mean, and hungry to get back in front of audiences around the country, the world! Elvis was the "King of Rock & Roll" not a Vegas lounge act.

Image

But in a case of history repeating itself and Elvis not learning from his mistakes (movie contracts), Elvis signed contracts tying him to Vegas.

Image

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:01 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:I have to agree with Doc. Those closest to Elvis said that at the end, he hated that town. Elvis needed a new change of scenery...overseas tour or something.


I agree, too. Elvis' shows in 1969 were transcendent performances, but it wasn't because of Vegas. He was incredible despite Vegas. If only the Colonel had the foresight to keep Elvis' creative juices stimulated by having him perform in different countries, things would have turned out a lot differently. Elvis in Vegas in 1969 was about as cool as it gets but it turned out to be a terrible mistake in the long run. Those flaccid Vegas audiences eventually brought out the worst in him.


+1

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:06 pm

Joe Car wrote:Elvis hated playing Vegas as early as February 1970, he said that in his Astrodome press conference. I agree with the Doc here, no Vegas would have been ok with me, despite his many great shows there.


I can't remember he said that he hated Vegas at the press conference. I think he said something like: "It was always tough, but I enjoyed it, like I know I'm gonna enoy it here"

Even though Vegas gave him an immediate feeling of freedom, in the long run it was much more unhealthy than working in Hollywood. The quality of a lot of the movies obviously didn't do him any good, but to get up in the morning, to hang around with producers, directors, actors and extras gave him a window to the outside world on a regular basis. In Vegas this was gone and quite soon he got more eccentric and let himself go. In additon, Las Vegas didn't help his image to a lot of people, his engagements were too long, and he performed partly for the wrong kind of people.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 am

egilj wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Elvis hated playing Vegas as early as February 1970, he said that in his Astrodome press conference. I agree with the Doc here, no Vegas would have been ok with me, despite his many great shows there.


I can't remember he said that he hated Vegas at the press conference. I think he said something like: "It was always tough, but I enjoyed it, like I know I'm gonna enoy it here"


In Houston Elvis speaks disparagingly about Las Vegas.

The part about "enjoying it" first refers as much to to his Hollywood years, doing movies and not doing concerts ("programs"), as to Las Vegas. Then he talks about looking forward to the upcoming Astrodome shows.

Are you going to keep making films?

Hope to (laughs). Well, I'd like to make better films, than the kind I made before.

What do you mean by "better"?

Better than the ones I made before.

You mean, playing general types, westerns and romances?

(Coughs) Excuse me. I can't take this fresh air, man. I'm used to the garbage can at the International Hotel, man (laughter). If I can't smell some garbage, I don't feel at home, man, I tell you (laughter).


[snip]


Was it rough at the International? Was it a little bit of a strain on you after not being on programs?

It was always tough, but I enjoyed it, I enjoyed it. Like, I know I'm going to enjoy it here because it's a live audience and it makes a world of difference.


Elvis --> Everybody's Talkin' - Houston, February 25, 1970 !
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57590

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 am

DarrylMac wrote:I have to say, for a short while at least, while the challenge was fresh, Vegas did bring something out of Elvis. He rehearsed for new engagements, brought lots of new material in, really cared. Maybe just have one engagement every 18 months or so, as part of an overall strategy that took him in other directions as well, not just world tours, as they'd have become routine too, but other creative challenges such as a duets project, an interesting movie or two, maybe an autobiography, some well chosen TV spots etc etc.

I know it's all hypothesis, and we can all say "what if", but Elvis was the greatest attraction Vegas had ever known, and for a while, it was his realm.


Very good post DarrylMac.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:49 am

It always niggled me a bit when, over the last ten years or so, I see Tom Jones on TV collaborating with current artists, playing big outdoor rock festivals etc.. I'm a fan of TJ but as we all know, he's never been in the same league as our man. Tom played Vegas for many years but was able to escape
When watching Tom after his big comeback in the nineties and noughties, I've never been able to stop myself thinking, "wouldn't it have been fantastic if it was Elvis doing all these great things???!!"

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:55 am

sundial77 wrote:It always niggled me a bit when, over the last ten years or so, I see Tom Jones on TV collaborating with current artists, playing big outdoor rock festivals etc.. I'm a fan of TJ but as we all know, he's never been in the same league as our man. Tom played Vegas for many years but was able to escape
When watching Tom after his big comeback in the nineties and noughties, I've never been able to stop myself thinking, "wouldn't it have been fantastic if it was Elvis doing all these great things???!!"


Exactly. No doubt this could have been Elvis, except bigger and better.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:11 pm

My fantasy? E.P. At the Isle of Wright festival, 1969.

Oh, that would have been fantastic. (Another big star was there. ;) )

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:18 pm

And how do we know this?
Why do we think that things would be very different from what actually took place?
Seems to me that no matter what, he was that selfdestructive force who tired very easily from anything.

Yes, others could have been involved, his entire career could have looked different - but would the endgame be any different?
There's a lot of could-have's and would-have's - but I fear that his demise was inevitable.

Why...? Because when I look at EP, I see an artist totally unable to actually take a hold of his own career.
The only time I've ever heard him actually knowing anything about his own career, and what was in the making - was when he stated in 1960 that he was going to cut some records and do a TV-show with Frank Sinatra.
When asked on later occations, he didn't seem to know anything.

We can blame the Col. as much as we like, but at the end of the day the responsibility over ones own life and career lies at the feet of the artist.
What do other artists do when things aren't right? They fire their managements and seek more fulfilling ones.
If EP had wished strongly enough for a change in his career, he would have done just that.
I fear he didn't. Don't blame it all on the Col.

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:05 pm

FVH wrote:Don't blame it all on the Col.


I don't think anyone is blaming it all on the Colonel. It should be assumed that it's just as much Elvis' fault for sticking with him. A carnival barker may have been the right choice at the beginning of Elvis' career, but it was clearly the wrong choice from the early '60s on. Unfortunately, Elvis had that horrible conflicting combination of confidence and insecurity. The Colonel preyed on his insecurity and Elvis fell for it.

Why else would Elvis suffer through all those films in the 1960s? And when asked why he did them he could only reply that he "had to." He had to? Elvis is known for his amazing instincts and he should have known better. Especially since the two times he followed his instincts (NBC-TV Special and the American Sound Studio sessions) and went against the Colonel's wishes it worked in his favor.

Is that placing enough blame on Elvis?

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:45 pm

Maybe, just maybe, giving Elvis a pass on the movies but Vegas? After enduing those films in the 60's then following his instincts for the '68 Special and especially after the American Sound Studio sessions, Elvis's confidence should've been high enough to tell Parker: No Vegas for me, goodbye!

Image

Re: Adios, Vegas!

Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:20 pm

After the miserable experience with Vegas in 1956. Elvis should never go to sing in this place ever!