Off Topic Messages

ID Theft UK ?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I wonder if anybody here can give me some advice ?

Somebody I know has had a "Profile" set up on a dating web site ( Match.Com) with all their details, postcode, birth date, their likes and wot not.
This was done without their knowledge and has caused a lot of problems.

Match.com have confirmed when it was set up but are refusing to give the ip address of the computer that set it up.

My question is, are they entitled to withhold this information knowing it was set up fraudulently without the persons knowledge ?

Obviously, a subscription wasn't purchased, but the profile was there and attracting attention, it wasn't discovered until some six weeks after it was set up because the emails were going to "social" section of their inbox that is rarely looked at.

Any knowledge in these matters would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Dan.

Re: ID Theft UK ?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:31 pm

OK FECC members - let the fun begin!

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:11 pm

The Pirate wrote:OK FECC members - let the fun begin!

Actually, its not funny, its a serious question, it caused grief.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:14 pm

Dan_T wrote:
The Pirate wrote:OK FECC members - let the fun begin!

Actually, its not funny, its a serious question, it caused grief.

No not funny atall,dont know the answer ,but you could give citizens advice a ring they may be able to help

Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Cheers, Ken.

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:09 pm

What is the site prepared to do for this person you know, are they deleting the profile?

It sucks for this friend of yours, could be a lame joke or as you say, ID theft. Either way, I wouldn't let it go, keep hounding them til the questions have been answered.

Do they also have his credit card info?

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:34 pm

This website might help Dan.

http://www.cifas.org.uk/identity_fraud

Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Hey, Snake eyes, no, there was no actual subscription so thankfully no credit card details, the profile has been deleted yes.

What's annoying is that the company refuse to reveal who set it up, they do know, but say its against the policy to reveal it. other than deleting their profile they've offered nothing else.

The lady in question is in the "public eye" and its mortified her.

There should be some sort of protection in place before a profile can go up.

She has somebody looking into things but its been difficult for them to get proper answers, hence me asking here.

Dan.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:36 am

ID theft ruins lives more than you'll ever know. Certainly no laughing matter. First thing you need to do is contact your local police, and of course, keep a close eye on your bank account for any unauthorized withdraws...also a good idea to change your passwords on all of your online sites every now and then.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:55 am

Is Lifelock any good? I am so tired of changing passwords, and then there are all those security questions for every different serious thing. It's hard to keep track!

And yet everything is on-line now. It's maddening.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:11 pm

Bodie wrote:This website might help Dan.

http://www.cifas.org.uk/identity_fraud

Bodie, I missed this yesterday, I'll give it a look. thanks mate.

Dan.

Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:45 pm

rjm wrote:Is Lifelock any good? I am so tired of changing passwords, and then there are all those security questions for every different serious thing. It's hard to keep track!

And yet everything is on-line now. It's maddening.

rjm

Sent via mobile

I wouldn't put my trust with them either. It's pretty much you being careful on everything you do online and watching yourself. Only you can prevent ID theft by being extra careful when making purchases online...make sure the website you're dealing with is secure and reputable.(ie.."https")

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:52 pm

Dan_T wrote:Match.com have confirmed when it was set up but are refusing to give the ip address of the computer that set it up.

I'm curious what you plan to do with the IP address. The ISP is not going to give you contact details of the user.

Chris

Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:09 am

ChrisM wrote:
Dan_T wrote:Match.com have confirmed when it was set up but are refusing to give the ip address of the computer that set it up.

I'm curious what you plan to do with the IP address. The ISP is not going to give you contact details of the user.

Chris

Chris, I was under the impression that would actually have the details of the service provider etc...Hmmmm, I see what you mean.

Anyway, I've sent off a letter on her behalf to their head office in London, hopefully they will be a bit more helpful.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will post the outcome of it all :)

Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:30 pm

Dan_T wrote:Chris, I was under the impression that would actually have the details of the service provider etc...Hmmmm, I see what you mean.

You could determine the ISP from the IP address, but the ISP is not going to tell you which individual customer was using that address.

Chris