Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 pm

Matthew wrote:
When In Rome wrote:'Prince From Another Planet' also has the arena atmosphere in my opinion but I prefer without reverb, as the reverb has been added after the fact and was not really recorded that way, sure it may have sounded that way if you were sat in the middle of the auditorium/arena/coliseum/hall etc. I just think less is more on this occasion. However, I like that we have both ways to listen (PFAP vs. original 'Garden' and now FTD 'Live In Memphis' vs. the new Legacy version)

PFAP tried, but ultimately failed to capture the 'in the arena' atmosphere. Instead, it sounds flat and busy. I do not listen to it anymore.


What? The sound on Prince From Another Planet is excellent. 10/10! Elvis' vocals are upfront in the mix and James Burton's guitar, drums and the background vocals are prominent. The mix makes the concert sound so full of energy. As soon as I got it I chucked away the original MSG 1972 live album.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:56 pm

I hate the arena atmosphere. I do not want to hear the arena or the audience. I want to hear the performance as clearly and without reverb as much as possible.

I like the multi-track Las Vegas recordings because of the lack of reverb or echo. Even the multi-track 1972 Vegas recordings are pretty enjoyable. (coming from someone who does not care for post 1970 Elvis in general).

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:02 pm

I'm with Rob (not literally...) on this. The FTD, especially through earphones, sounds ace! Like you're there.

I also think the Prince From Another Planet shows sound incredible - both atmospheric AND dynamic.

The Vegas multi-tracks sound great in there own way, but until the audience start to applaud, they don't really sound like live recordings. i'd like to hear the audience a little more during the songs and have a bit more of a live feel to them. I still want the familiar mixes too - but to have them like that as well would be quite wonderful.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Listening to the FTD of moody blue, I still hate the fake audience responses during let me be there..

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Agree with the fake app, been listening to a lot of 69 shows, all the quality ones, and there wasnt a great deal of the audience heard on those, but when i got to the FTD IN PERSON, man they tweaked and edited it in lots of places. Much less banter and silences than on the "untouched" 69s ...........

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:54 pm

Boy I bet you folks hate it when Elvis asks for more reverb in studio in some of the outake chatter. Guy didn't have a clue what was good for his music. Dang he liked all those awful back-up groups and all those hillbilly pickers. If he would have listened to a few on here he might have made it in the music business.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:59 pm

Yes, I do not like reverb or added echo on ANYONE'S records. I like only dry or simple natural ambience. No processing for me please. The reason so many outtakes sound better than the masters is because they were not dicked with. The Binaural Jailhouse Rock recordings is one fine example of that.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:24 pm

srovenstine wrote:Boy I bet you folks hate it when Elvis asks for more reverb in studio in some of the outake chatter. Guy didn't have a clue what was good for his music. Dang he liked all those awful back-up groups and all those hillbilly pickers. If he would have listened to a few on here he might have made it in the music business.


Good one!



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:07 pm

srovenstine wrote:Boy I bet you folks hate it when Elvis asks for more reverb in studio in some of the outake chatter. Guy didn't have a clue what was good for his music. Dang he liked all those awful back-up groups and all those hillbilly pickers. If he would have listened to a few on here he might have made it in the music business.


Technically I think the main thrust of the difference of opinions has to do with the processing during the mixing and mastering of Elvis recordings not necessarily how it was recorded in the studio, a problem Elvis himself had cause to question on occasion, if I recall correctly...

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:16 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Yes, I do not like reverb or added echo on ANYONE'S records. I like only dry or simple natural ambience. No processing for me please. The reason so many outtakes sound better than the masters is because they were not dicked with. The Binaural Jailhouse Rock recordings is one fine example of that.

You must really hate "Heartbreak Hotel", "First in Line", "love Me" etc

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:37 pm

Yes, I do not care for the reverb. Even my two most favorite albums Elvis Is Back and From Elvis In Memphis have too much reverb. Nothing is perfect, especially when it tries to appeal to the masses. The best still has room for improvement. If I were recording Elvis Is Back, I would have used the dry vocal technique that was used on "All That I Am" from Spinout. The instruments sound great on Elvis Is Back.

I find most of the Elvis (2nd LP) unlistenable because of the sound.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:59 pm

One of the most astounding recordings of a voice is The Look Of Love off the album Casino Royale. Dusty re-recording of it is what is found on greatest hits compilations, so to hear the recording I am talking about, you have to listen to the Casino Royale album. It is the only source for this recording I know of. The one on her compilations is not the recording I am talking about.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:22 pm

Let's warm up a bit
the audio ain't from the new release.. but from the FTD.
Also this is not a STAR video.. I just hope you all enjoy!.
phpBB [video]

Last edited by Johnny2523 on Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:43 pm

You must have a lot of free time Johnny.!

Nicely done - i've seen better but enjoyed it nevertheless.! Thx.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:05 am

I've reseived some samples, and the sound is great.
and yes the false start to help me is included. and the fake audience reactions are gone. this will be the ultimate and go to release!

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:05 am

Johnny2523 wrote:I've reseived some samples, and the sound is great.
and yes the false start to help me is included. and the fake audience reactions are gone. this will be the ultimate and go to release!



And it took RCA 40 years to finally get it right ! Better late than never.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:17 am

Johnny2523,

Loved the video! Thanks for sharing!



RKS

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:04 am

wow so this will REALLY sound good and a better release than the FTD version!!!!!

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:44 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Let's warm up a bit
the audio ain't from the new release.. but from the FTD.
Also this is not a STAR video.. I just hope you all enjoy!.
phpBB [video]



This is awesome Johnny, thanks. Elvis and everyone involved were firing on all cylinders on this song, as well as this entire Memphis show. :smt035

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Daryl wrote:Amazon.com here in the U.S. just sent me an e-mail stating that since I pre-ordered "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Legacy Edition), I can download a copy of it via Amazon's AutoRip from Amazon's Cloud Player. I thought some people might want to know this.


I pre-ordered this on March 2nd, and so far I haven't received any e-mail from Amazon to download this to my Cloud Player.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Looking really forward to hear this... at least the first disc. Don't bother about the second disc at all.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:12 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Looking really forward to hear this... at least the first disc. Don't bother about the second disc at all.


Ordered it yesterday but I find the 2nd disc pretty much pointless....not only because I have it on FTD but does the general public really care about having a identical show from 2 days earlier?
Im a fan and I dont care much for the 18/3 show but memphis has always been a favorite.....much more than Aloha.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am

LSP-4445 wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Looking really forward to hear this... at least the first disc. Don't bother about the second disc at all.


Ordered it yesterday but I find the 2nd disc pretty much pointless....not only because I have it on FTD but does the general public really care about having a identical show from 2 days earlier?
Im a fan and I dont care much for the 18/3 show but memphis has always been a favorite.....much more than Aloha.

I also prefer it to Aloha.

Dunno about the second show... in monaural and with a lot of (added?) reverb. But I never owned the FTD so it's a nice little bonus. Wasn't that the show featured on the bootleg "Guaranteed To Blow Your Mind"? Still have that one on the shelf somewhere.

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:49 am

srovenstine wrote:Boy I bet you folks hate it when Elvis asks for more reverb in studio in some of the outake chatter. Guy didn't have a clue what was good for his music. Dang he liked all those awful back-up groups and all those hillbilly pickers. If he would have listened to a few on here he might have made it in the music business.


:D

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:
Daryl wrote:Amazon.com here in the U.S. just sent me an e-mail stating that since I pre-ordered "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Legacy Edition), I can download a copy of it via Amazon's AutoRip from Amazon's Cloud Player. I thought some people might want to know this.


I pre-ordered this on March 2nd, and so far I haven't received any e-mail from Amazon to download this to my Cloud Player.



I'm pretty sure you'll get the cloud version midnight on the release date. Just check though, when I pre-ordered mine in January, Amazon sent me an email to tell me my Autorip was ready to download, when in actual fact it was the 1994 release that was ready to download. A couple weeks ago I emailed them to say it was the wrong version and that I realised the album wasn't released as of yet but I would want the actual autorip for future reference, they told me they'd get their tech guys to look into it. Sure enough a week later they said they had sorted it and was ready to download. I didn't really believe them to be honest but on checking, sure it enough it was there, the two disc Legacy Edition!