Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Last Elvis Concert You Listened To Was?

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:50 pm

Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:53 pm

Double Dynamite. The show starting with Tiger Man is excellent. It's a pity he didn't start off more of his concerts with Tiger Man. Elvis is on top form as comedian (makes lots of memorable jokes) and singer.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:29 pm

This one, a good show in decent sound, shame it's incomplete.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:18 pm

Im listening to the FTD of moody blue

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:47 pm

JohanD wrote:This one, a good show in decent sound, shame it's incomplete.

The cdr floating around is more complete..it includes the full Polk Salad Annie.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:02 pm

JEFF d
EP fan

Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:44 am

April 22 1976 - America FTD.
Altough elvis is in quite a good vocal and seems to enjoy himself, the Backup vocals are sadley way to loud.
Gotta love elvis performing funny how time slips away in it's original key!
Last edited by Johnny2523 on Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:10 am

1969,1972 shows.

Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 am

elvis-fan wrote:Talking about concerts... it would be great if FTD issued the August 3, 1969 show... I have the original Opening Night CD but was never able to buy "The Return of a Prodigy" which I understand is significantly better sounding... although I've never had the pleasure of hearing it... :(

Image Image

I'll bet you're a happy man these days. ;-)

Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:51 pm

My latest purchase 21st August 1969, Las Vegas... Great show, first recorded show!

Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:49 pm

I just gave the Birmingham show a spin. Elvis sounds somewhat hyped-up, but it's still an enjoyable show with many great songs. If all concerts he gave in 1976 would be like this, there surely wouldn't have been to much to complain.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:05 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Image

I just gave the Birmingham show a spin. Elvis sounds somewhat hyped-up, but it's still an enjoyable show with many great songs. If all concerts he gave in 1976 would be like this, there surely wouldn't have been to much to complain.

the dallas show on disc 1 has an awesome polk salad annie! elvis really gets going near the end! :D
The last tour of 1976 must have been the best one of 1976. Both setlist,mood, looks and voice!.

Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm

...had to turn it off & switch to this one

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:00 pm

Hot August Night. I think it's the best 1969 show to be officially released thus far. And that's really sayin' somethin' 'cause they're all great!

Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:51 am

September 5 1970 - Las Vegas - Midnight Show...

The First Half of This show is great. From "That's Alright Mama to "Johnny B Goode". Then it falls apart for awhile until "Bridge Over Troubled Water". Lots of Joking in this show. At times Elvis seems to think he is a standup comedian. He Intros himself as Johnny Cash and welcomes everyone to the Golden Nugget. All the usual jokes are called up..(Gatorade, Ed Sullivan Sumbitch story, Wooleyboogers, etc,). He says he asked for a Gong to end I Just Can't Help Believin and he meant a small one and instead they brought that Big Mother down. He says its the biggest Gong he has ever seen. He talks about the Dolls and Funky Angels on the Walls and says whoever came up with that was on something. He does three lines of a Bob Dylan impersonation but u can't understand what he is saying which is the point of the joke. He intros Paul Anka and says his nickname for Paul is "ratso" because he reminds him of the character from Midnight Cowboy. Not a very Flattering nickname.lol he kids around with Anka a lot in the show. He asks him if his wife had a baby..,Anka responds and Elvis says "She didn't put it in the paper that it was by me did she?" (Paternity suit joke). After all the joking with Anka he says..."Wait til i get Jones in here, I'll Bury Him".

The Highlights of the show are " I Just Can't Help Believin", "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin", "Polk Salad Annie" (this must have been one of the earliest versions with the bass solo, and with the Jones, Humperdink, Campbell impersonations), "Johnny B Goode" and "Bridge Over Troubled Water". All great performances.

The negatives come in the last half of the show..He gives the short version of "The Wonder of You" and he jokes around more than he performs. "Heartbreak Hotel" is only 40 seconds long, he only does 2 False starts of "All Shook Up", 47 seconds of "Blue Suede Shoes", and even "Hound Dog" is shorter than usual. And to top it off be does not even sing "Suspicious Minds"!!! After Bridge he goes right into "Can't Help Falling In Love". The show is about 48 min in length.

That''s Alright Mama
I Got A Woman/Amen
I Walk The Line (1 line only)
Love Me Tender (+ 2 False Starts)
I've Lost You
I Just Can't Help Believin
You've Lost That Lovin Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie
-Band Intros-
Johnny B Goode
-Band Intros-
Elvis does Bob Dylan Impersonation
Elvis intros Tommy Rowe
Elvis intros Paul "Ratso" Anka
Elvis intros Shelley Winters
The Wonder Of You (short version)
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up ( 2 False Starts Only)
Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog
Bridge Over Troubled Water
Can't Help Falling In Love

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:37 am

Closing night February 1970, which is a fantastic show. Opening night is good too, though a bit messy

Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:19 pm

Liked this one very much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:04 pm

I had the second disc (Shreveport) of The Creeping Crud Express on late last night, just following the Boston 71 FTD.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:20 pm

September 12 1970 - Miami Fla - Evening Show...

Elvis in His Prime on His First Tour since the 50s. Putting on a approximately 45 min show. :roll: :roll:

Elvis intros himself as Johnny Cash and jokes to the crowd that its a pleasure being in Ft.Lauderdale. He says that last time he played Miami he was just a baby. He jokes he got kicked out of the first grade for wiggling to much and He introduces Charlie as Big Mama Thornton. The Highlights of the show are "You've Lost That Lovin Feelin", "Polk Salad Annie", "Johnny B Goode", "The Wonder of You" a regular version! Not the short one, "Bridge over Troubled Water" and "Suspicious Minds". Most of the performances in the show are great. The Only negatives i have are that he puts some of the oldies in a 2 min medley and the fact that the show is only around 45 min long!! I was not around back then so was that length acceptable?? I would think not.lol I would not be happy with 45 min. especially on his first tour since the 50's. You would think he would do something special for that. these shows should have been at least 1 hour. i have read a couple of the reviews from Miami and they don't seem to complain about the length. it was a different time so maybe that was not seen as a big deal. But he gave longer shows in Vegas than this. :o Anyways, High Energy Good Show except for the length of it.

That's Alright Mama
I Got A Woman/Amen
I Walk The Line (1 Line only)
Love Me Tender
I've Lost You
You've Lost That Lovin Feelin'
Polk Salad Annie
-Band Intros-
Johnny B Goode
-Band Intros-
The Wonder of You (complete version)
Heartbreak Hotel (+ 1 False Start)
Blue Suede Shoes/Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On/All Shook Up/Don't Be Cruel Medley
Hound Dog (+ a Couple False Starts)
Suspicious Minds
Funny How Time Slips Away

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:21 am

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Just got done with this one. and reviewed it.

Elvis In Lake Charles - May 4 1975. Review written while listening.
The sound is good but the instruments (Except piano) are quite low in the mix.
Elvis introduces himself as Wayne newton, and jokes that they are gonna run for a few minutes. and goes straight into the first track on this cd

Jambalaya - Great version it only runs for about 40 seconds but it's fun to hear!.
Without any introduction or talking elvis goes straight into
Love Me - The audience go nuts. Elvis seems to be in good voice. However this version is passable as there's to much joking.

If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - Always liked this song, At this point it was still fresh in elvis setlist. Elvis is in great voice, and performs a great version. Sadley the band is to low. Elvis and his backround singers are more prominent. First highlight. Great version!.

Love Me Tender - ''I like to do a little bit of my first movie called love me tender.'' Elvis jokes alot, Elvis voice is good, but instead of singing he's busy fooling around and interacting with the audience, not neccesarily a bad thing. But this is really a trowaway version.

All Shook Up - Not much, elvis sings most of the lines altough it almost becomes a duet with charlie hodge, as elvis flubs some lyrics, but this song became a trowaway already by 1970. So got not much to say about this

Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel - Instead of elvis charlie calls out for this medley, Elvis responds by saying ''Yeah i know''. Just like all shook up this is a trowaway version, The only difference to other versions is that it's in a slower tempo then usual. Elvis does the ''Kick your A..'' part during don't be cruel.

The Wonder Of You - Back to business, A suprise return of this song, having only been performed a few times in march/april. Elvis delivers a good version. Singing all lines serious.
Another Highlight of this show.

Polk Salad Annie - A song elvis couldn't do no wrong to. Always performed with some Enthusiasm. This is a great version. Sadley we can't hear the band to good except of james his guitar. And far into the distance you can sometimes hear the trumpets by the orchestra. Great version nonetheless. ronnie's drum becomes more hearable near the end. Certainly a highlight
It's time for the band introductions. Elvis jokes around saying the sweets have been with him for the long and he thinks they are sweet ''The great.. ah Sweet inspirations''. ''The gentleman here in the back when they're together'' JD Sumner and The Stamps. He jokes around multi-ple times, I gotta say this time the introductions aren't dragging, They are actually fun. James plays a funky what'd i say and elvis sings the lines ''I wanna know, I wanna know right now'' something he didn't do to often. Ronnie gives a short but kickass drum solo. Jerry gives a great blues solo. I'm glad jerry returned to playing bass for elvis only a few weeks earlier. Glen does his Lawdy Miss Clawdy piano solo. Funny in the same year Jerry comes back, Glen would eventually leave playing with elvis on stage after the December tour. School Day/Hail Hail Rock And Roll/Long Live Rock and Roll is always something i enjoyed.

Johnny Be Goode - Elvis delivers a full version ala Aloha. Elvis is in great voice. Great version. Another highlight.

Steamroller Blues - If only the band was more prominent here, elvis delivers a great version of steamroller, either the mixing or elvis standing closer to james, make his guitar solo sound louder in the mix.. which is great!. Another highlight of this show, worth hearing!.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E - Elvis says if you get behind on the words,you might as well hang it up. However gives an inspired performance. always liked the live outtings of this song. Instead of walking like glory, and looking like a dream elvis sings ''Looking like glory, walking like a dream!''. Great version nonetheless. Another highlight! it has quite a long ''Hey hey'' part!.

I'll Remember You - ''This next song is a song we did from the aloha from hawaii special called ''I'll remember you''. No alfie here. Elvis harmonizes with his backing vocals on the '''oooooh'' line. Your sweet laughter elvis does a giggle and says he gotta go back there. Most of the song is done seriously. the audience reaction is nuts. ''Till then... hahaha wait a minute''.

Why Me Lord - Time for some gospel. Elvis makes some jokes to tease JD. something he would often do after august '74. Elvis actually sings ''So Help Me, JD''. It's a nice version, ''That's out of sight JD, you laughed really good'' Elvis mission was accomplished.

Let Me Be There - Elvis sings a great version of one of my favourite songs, Always enjoyed it no matter which show. Elvis does a reprise, And for me atleast it's a highlight.

An American Trilogy - Elvis jokes when the stamps sing ''Oh i Wish i Was in Dixie'' he says ''You are you fools'' when they sing ''To live and die in dixie'' he says you can do that to!. and misses his que.. Elvis quickly picks up and is serious for the rest of the song. the vocals when he sings are good, but the joking takes away from the performance. when elvis sings ''So hush little baby don't you cry'' he gets a round of applause. I'm glad that the flute solo was still there, As i don't really like it when they replaced it with the trumpet.

Hound Dog - Starts of strong, but it's a trowaway version for the most part. I don't have much to say about this performance.

Elvis asks for the house lights to be turned up and says ''Hi baby, hi'' and talks and jokes for about a minute before goin into

Funny How Time Slips Away - Always liked this song, It's ofcoarse nothing like the studio master or even the On Tour version. One can imagine elvis handing out scarfs and kisses to the audience members, It's not really an inspired version elvis jokes by doing an accent and singing ''Dawn na when thou''.

Little Darlin - Always liked this, never get bored with it. a lightweight and fun song, which i think the audience liked hearing to.

Can't Help Falling In Love - ''If you want to hear us again, just give us a buzz'' Elvis delivers an okay version, singing most of the lyrics.

conclusion:
A fun show, sometimes a bit to much joking, and the 50's songs are like usual trowaways, however there is still enough performances that are enjoyable. Again i say.. if only the band was a bit better in the mix. Sometimes it seems like it's a Elvis Piano concert with his backing vocals.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:24 am

Thank you very much for your very detailed review. See, See Rider, I Got a Woman are missing, right?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:32 pm

I have been on a night shift, and this morning at around 4am I listened to the MRS remaster of the Hawaii 61 show through my earphones.

I'd forgotten just how much of an improvement this audio is from the Silver Box set! WOW!

Such atmosphere and perhaps the best Elvis concert available. I SERIOUSLY enjoyed it this time!!

Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm

June 12 1972 - Fort Wayne Indiana...

Great show. I don't have any complaints about this show. Really Good Setlist. Elvis is in a good mood, The audience is loving every minute of it. Elvis mentions more than once how hot it is up on the stage..."Its hot as a mother up here Boy". The Highlights of the show are "Polk Salad Annie", "Bridge Over Troubled Water", "Reconsider Baby "(Play The Blues, Play The Blues, Play The Blues, Elvis tells James Burton", "It's Now Or Never", "Suspicious Minds", "For The Good Times", "An American Trilogy". Just as Elvis is ending "Suspicious Minds" some guy near the recorder says "Watch This..." and then Elvis does his karate demo. Very Cool moment. The show is 60 min long and has good sound.

That's Alright Mama
Proud Mary
Never Been To Spain
Until Its Time For You To Go
You Don't have To Say You Love Me
Polk Salad Annie
Carry Me Back To Old Virginia (1 line only)
Love Me
All Shook Up
Heartbreak Hotel
Teddy Bear/Don't Be Cruel
Love Me Tender
Blue Suede Shoes
Hound Dog (slow/fast version) (+ 2 False Starts)
Reconsider Baby
It's Now Or Never
Suspicious Minds
-Band Intros-
For The Good Times
An American Trilogy
Funny How Time Slips Away
I Can't Stop Loving You

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:11 am

JEFF d
EP fan