Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Online Now Free To All... :-)

Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:43 pm

As stated the online magazine is free to all,
In this issue we talk to Marty Harell and Tony De Caprio... enjoy :-)
http://theelvismag.wix.com/elvisonline

Re: Elvis Online Now Free To All... :-)

Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 pm

thetigerman_ wrote:As stated the online magazine is free to all,

Very nice job with the online version.

Some thoughts:

It looks like "Mr. Memphis" reads FECC, judging by his very familiar writing on the 1961 Hawaii show.

It's a little surprising to learn Joe Guercio Orchestra member Marty Harrell is an "EPE-party line" kind of guy. It means we get absolutely no insight into his eight years on stage with Elvis (1969-1977) in the interview posted. Some of the things he says seem dubious, like "I never heard him sing a note out of tune or out of place at all" or his belief that "Aloha" was "the best performance he ever gave." Really?

Also, when asked about musicians from 1969-1977, he makes no mention of Larry Muhoberac, Bob Lanning, the Imperials, Voice, Shane Keister, Larrie Londin, Tony Brown or Bobby Ogdin. The Imperials were there for over two years.

Also, the Sweet Inspirations were not from Motown as Harrell claims, and had no association with Berry Gordy or Detroit. They formed in New York and primarily made records for the Atlantic label, including their biggest hit, 1968's "Sweet Inspiration." How can someone work with the Sweets for eight years and make this kind of mistake?

The chat with songwriter Jerry Chestnut is enjoyable. You get a sense of the Kentucky native being his own guy, and not entirely bowled over by his Elvis connection. His meeting Elvis in December 1973, at a midnight movie screening of "Charlie Varrick," is understated, and Elvis (as usual) is gracious saying hello to him. Lamar Fike was the Memphis Mafian who set it up, after getting Jerry's "It's Midnight" into one of the Stax sessions that month. How amusing that Fike apparently lost the lyric sheet, and had to call Chestnut on the phone and transcribe them, while Elvis and the band were in the midst of taping the song!

Thanks again for the link.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:07 am

Wow - that's great news.

Thanks you sir!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:31 am

That's very cool, thank you so much!

JEFF d
EP fan

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:34 am

Thanks for your comments.However, Mr Memphis does not read or go on the FECC. As for the Hawaii review i have not compared the two.Cheers.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:49 am

Thank you for sharing Tigerman. I enjoyed it, it is very well written and the choice of photos used are great, well done.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:39 am

Thank you for sharing Tigerman. I enjoyed it, it is very well written and the choice of photos used are great, well done.[/quote]

your welcome buddy, we have many more people lined up for interviews and many already recorded for the magazine :-)

Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:01 am

Hey great issue and great articles WELL DONE!~ :D

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:01 pm

YDKM wrote:Hey great issue and great articles WELL DONE!~ :D

Thanks for the kind words. let us know who yous guys would like to see interviewd and maybe we can try and get a hold of them :-)

Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm

please remember you can see previous issues when you expand the current issue and click on the any of the back issues at the right of the picture

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:11 pm

nice work

that elvis vs robbie was some embarassing sh*t for robbie

Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:12 pm

thetigerman_ wrote:

Thanks for the kind words. let us know who yous guys would like to see interviewd and maybe we can try and get a hold of them :-)

Great article, I might have an idea,
Mary Ann Mobley or Jocelyn Lane :D

Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:17 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
thetigerman_ wrote:

Great article, I might have an idea,
Mary Ann Mobley or Jocelyn Lane :D

Mary as far as I know hasn't been well recently and her website appears to be down, but you never know.
Had my good friend Joe (krein) Interview Sam Thompson last week was pretty cool(will be included soon) as well as Paul Evan(Singer-songwriter) also Dicky Lee was fun in hearing his time with Elvis. Joe Carrys out some great interviews. :-)

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:07 pm

Thanks,interesting magazine,bookmarked

Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:37 pm

thetigerman_ wrote:Thanks for the kind words. let us know who yous guys would like to see interviewd and maybe we can try and get a hold of them :-)

I realize he's been interviewed before, but I would love to see an interview with Ronnie Tutt.

I know he's already been asked about many things during his time with Elvis, so maybe it could be a focused interview in regards to a particular recording session, or a particular concert tour. What would also be great, would be to ask him about the various drum kits and hardware he used with the TCB band. As a drummer myself, this would be particularly interesting to read.

It'd also be interesting to read his thoughts on the "Prince From Another Planet" box set, and the footage on the DVD. And his awareness of the FTD label and if he owns any.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:16 am

thetigerman_ wrote:Thanks for your comments.However, Mr Memphis does not read or go on the FECC. As for the Hawaii review i have not compared the two.Cheers.

Well someone does. His Hawaii concert CD review offers some comments almost verbatim from a certain FECC topic. ;-)

Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:21 am

Rich_TCB wrote:I realize he's been interviewed before, but I would love to see an interview with Ronnie Tutt.

I know he's already been asked about many things during his time with Elvis, so maybe it could be a focused interview in regards to a particular recording session, or a particular concert tour. What would also be great, would be to ask him about the various drum kits and hardware he used with the TCB band. As a drummer myself, this would be particularly interesting to read.

It'd also be interesting to read his thoughts on the "Prince From Another Planet" box set, and the footage on the DVD. And his awareness of the FTD label and if he owns any.

No one has ever asked Ron about his thoughts on Bob Lanning, who took over the drums from January-March 1970, Jerome Munroe, who filled in for Ronnie at least three times (1971, 1975, 1977) or Larrie Londin, who played the entire March 1976 tour after Tutt quit the band, and the final two 1977 shows, when Ron had to exit the tour.

It would be interesting to learn his feelings on these guys, and why he quit in 1976 (and came back a month later).

Tutt also played quite a bit with Jerry Garcia in 1976-1978. Did the Grateful Dead guitarist ever ask about Elvis? What might he have said?

Lots of possibilities here!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:48 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
thetigerman_ wrote:Thanks for your comments.However, Mr Memphis does not read or go on the FECC. As for the Hawaii review i have not compared the two.Cheers.

Well someone does. His Hawaii concert CD review offers some comments almost verbatim from a certain FECC topic. ;-)

Of course some people do, thats why i posted this topic on this site :D Mr Memphis does not have access to the internet, any copy of the online magazine is printed and given to him. Regarding similar comments on the article in question, believe it or not, they may share the same idea regarding such events. can you show me the article in question on this site? Il have a look at both :-) iv tried to find it.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:39 pm

Very enjoyable. Thanks thetigerman!!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:11 pm

your welcome, can anyone shed any light on what article john carpenter is talking about? i haven't seen it.