Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Harum Scarum LP revisited

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:55 pm

matilda wrote:
r&b wrote:There is nothing to enjoy here, especially as Doc noted, if like me, you bought this album in Oct 1965 , .

I can understand that...but when I bought the album elvis was dead already and I was a kid and liked some of the songs in this movie.
anyhow, I still enjoy some of the ballads from this soundtrack more than mostof the ballads from the 70s...simply becauce, in my minority opinion, his voice , even in 1965, is superior than the 70s voice.
on kismet, for instance, the smoothness in his voice...like silk....
very few years later he lost that in his voice

Thanks and yes, that is the main difference with many fans here. Many people discovered these songs (or Elvis himself) after he died when his legend became bigger than when he was alive. I can understand you looking at these songs from a different perspective than me who witnessed all of it as it was happening. I thank you for understanding how I look at things. At the time, I was extremely disappointed at how his career was going because I knew what he was capable of and it seemed like he was throwing it all the way or worse, didnt care to compete. Of course there are some fans on here who are my age and find no fault with anything Elvis did and would buy this soundtrack as many time as the label want to reissue it. Of those fans, I can have no open discussion with because everything I say is taken as a put down.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:10 pm

r&b wrote:
matilda wrote:
r&b wrote:There is nothing to enjoy here, especially as Doc noted, if like me, you bought this album in Oct 1965 , .

I can understand that...but when I bought the album elvis was dead already and I was a kid and liked some of the songs in this movie.
anyhow, I still enjoy some of the ballads from this soundtrack more than mostof the ballads from the 70s...simply becauce, in my minority opinion, his voice , even in 1965, is superior than the 70s voice.

Thanks and yes, that is the main difference with many fans here. Many people discovered these songs (or Elvis himself) after he died when his legend became bigger than when he was alive. I can understand you looking at these songs from a different perspective than me who witnessed all of it as it was happening. I thank you for understanding how I look at things. At the time, I was extremely disappointed at how his career was going because I knew what he was capable of and it seemed like he was throwing it all the way or worse, didnt care to compete. Of course there are some fans on here who are my age and find no fault with anything Elvis did and would buy this soundtrack as many time as the label want to reissue it. Of those fans, I can have no open discussion with because everything I say is taken as a put down.

well, i am not a typical postmortem elvis fan, it seems....

when I grew up or was a kid and became a fan in the 80s...I was crazy only about the 50s elvis....some 60s songs and hated the 70s elvis.
elvis was rock n roll to me and songs like wonder of you.....well, I hated them...it was like a different man...and not the better one.
it took me until 1999 after attending elvis the concert to appreciate the 70s elvis to some extend.
my point is..when I started drawn to elvis I was a kid and later a teenager..I loved the 50s elvis...cause he rocked.
funny, whe I was in my late 20s ..and i saw other teenager becoming elvis fans....they mostly adored the 1976/1977 elvis .
i never understood that..i thought"they are young, they most love the rockin 50s elvis...and not the lame, sick 1977 elvis".

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:16 pm

sherrlon12 wrote:I personally enjoy the Harum Scarum soundtrack a lot, partially because of the uniqueness of it and partially for nostalgic reasons as it was one of the first Elvis movies I ever saw and I enjoyed the music but at the time the soundtrack was not available. To me it's the most unique soundtrack he ever made and it has some really enjoyable songs, especially So Close, Yet So Far From Paradise. The FTD of the soundtrack release is a fun experience.

I enjoy the soundtracks but would have to say Clambake is probably the lowest rated in my book.

We appear to be in a very small minority.

I like the album very much. I like the dry sound. I like Elvis's vocals and actually think his singing is top notch for the type of material. I like the woodwind
sound which helps to give authenticity to the Eastern sound. The ballads on the album are beautiful though I'm slightly less keen on the uptempo numbers.

The title track is one of my favourites and both bonus tracks are real favourites of mine. The one track that I think is vastly overrated (and has been for 48 years) is 'So Close, Yet So Far'. Fans were saying back in 1965/66 that it should have been a single. No way, particularly in the middle of the 60s 'beat boom'. The vocal is too forced, the drama unconvincing.

Harum Scarum / Harem Holiday (soundtrack) will always be a favourite of mine. Clambake (excluding bonus songs), ECEG and World Fair are the least worthwhile, to put it kindly. This topic has been debated many times on this forum and, as I have said before, it's partly a nostalgia thing with me, but I think Elvis sings brilliantly. I even like the cover design of the LP. So there !

"Rubber Soul" by the Beatles was released at virtually the same time and here's a strange thing (that I've noted before and to little reaction) : the opening track, Drive My Car, has a very similar piano figure to that used for the opening of Harem Holiday, title song of the Elvis soundtrack.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 pm

Steve Morse wrote:
sherrlon12 wrote:I personally enjoy the Harum Scarum soundtrack a lot, partially because of the uniqueness of it and partially for nostalgic reasons as it was one of the first Elvis movies I ever saw and I enjoyed the music but at the time the soundtrack was not available. To me it's the most unique soundtrack he ever made and it has some really enjoyable songs, especially So Close, Yet So Far From Paradise. The FTD of the soundtrack release is a fun experience.

I enjoy the soundtracks but would have to say Clambake is probably the lowest rated in my book.

We appear to be in a very small minority.

I like the album very much. I like the dry sound. I like Elvis's vocals and actually think his singing is top notch for the type of material. I like the woodwind
sound which helps to give authenticity to the Eastern sound. The ballads on the album are beautiful though I'm slightly less keen on the uptempo numbers.

The title track is one of my favourites and both bonus tracks are real favourites of mine. The one track that I think is vastly overrated (and has been for 48 years) is 'So Close, Yet So Far'. Fans were saying back in 1965/66 that it should have been a single. No way, particularly in the middle of the 60s 'beat boom'. The vocal is too forced, the drama unconvincing.

Harum Scarum / Harem Holiday (soundtrack) will always be a favourite of mine. Clambake (excluding bonus songs), ECEG and World Fair are the least worthwhile, to put it kindly. This topic has been debated many times on this forum and, as I have said before, it's partly a nostalgia thing with me, but I think Elvis sings brilliantly. I even like the cover design of the LP. So there !

"Rubber Soul" by the Beatles was released at virtually the same time and here's a strange thing (that I've noted before and to little reaction) : the opening track, Drive My Car, has a very similar piano figure to that used for the opening of Harem Holiday, title song of the Elvis soundtrack.

Wow I never heard that in over 40 years! I must revisit Harum Holiday now, NOT!

Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:37 pm

matilda wrote:
Elfan wrote:
charro1971 wrote:I think the Girl Happy soundtrack is a lot worse and is the worst Elvis album.

I agree with you. 'Girl Happy' is the worst album of Elvis' career - IMO.

the sound is worse on girl happy...but I always kind of liked the girl happy album.
besides, I can almost at least listen through each of his soundtrack albums.
something I can not state about every 70s album.
why?
cause in most cases his voice is in the 60s superior ...even if the material is inferior in alot of cases.

I totally agree.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:18 pm

matilda wrote:

Funny how an artist like Elvis he was trapped in recording things he hate to do . And hé did it anyway . Elvis chose also to do these so called crap songs. I personnaly enjoy them as they are especially on the Double Features release wich is ,to me the best mix done of this soundtrack. It's an easy listening style of music I enjoy when I feel like it .

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:23 pm

true ...and especially the soundtracks offer a variety of styles of music.....even though a lot of compositions are lacking...
but i find his so called bad period aka movie years more appealing and way less boring than his opera phase in the 70s...

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:30 pm

matilda wrote:true ...and especially the soundtracks offer a variety of styles of music.....even though a lot of compositions are lacking...
but i find his so called bad period aka movie years more appealing and way less boring than his opera phase in the 70s...

Yes, but to categorise the 70s as an opera phase is like categorising the soundtrack era as "all crap". For every Padre or Love Me Love the Life or Heart of Rome or Hurt, there was a For Loving Me, I Miss You, Always on my Mind or Thinking About You.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:51 pm

it was meant with a twinkle in the eye..so don't make more of it than it was meant to be.
besides, there is thruth in it somehow....bellowing and over the top singing is not better than emotion that comes through the song with subtleness...something the 70s elvis was lacking.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
matilda wrote:true ...and especially the soundtracks offer a variety of styles of music.....even though a lot of compositions are lacking...

Yes, but to categorise the 70s as an opera phase is like categorising the soundtrack era as "all crap". For every Padre or Love Me Love the Life or Heart of Rome or Hurt, there was a For Loving Me, I Miss You, Always on my Mind or Thinking About You.

there were a lot more heart of rome or hurt than always on my mind(s) to be exact.
so it's not "for every(!)"....

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:55 pm

matilda wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

there were a lot more heart of rome or hurt than always on my mind(s) to be exact.

Really? You want to count them up?

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:12 am

I'm glad there was a Hurt. I much prefer it to Thinking About You.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:17 am

poormadpeter wrote:
matilda wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

yes, its a matter of taste. but yes, i could.
for me there are more lowpoints than highpoints in the 70s.
and you stated that they are even.
which i disagree.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:49 am

matilda wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
matilda wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

yes, its a matter of taste. but yes, i could.
for me there are more lowpoints than highpoints in the 70s.
and you stated that they are even.
which i disagree.

No, I stated that there were far less songs with operatic bellowing than without it. Although, I also believe there are more high points than low as well.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:47 am

Clambake is for sure a mixed bag but certainly not one of the worst soundtracks in my opinion.

It has three of the best ballads Elvis recorded in the 60s: The Girl I Never Loved, A House That Has Everything and You Don't Know Me. Although the words were very silly for Hey Hey Hey and Clambake, both songs have very catchy tunes. Who Needs Money and Confidence are abysmal though.

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:03 am

I also like The Harum Scarum Album a lot , and my favorite track is also ''So Close Yet So far""
and ''Wisdom Of The Ages" is also a favorite of mine. The FTD of this album is indeed a fun experience :D

Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:16 am

I have always had a soft spot for the "Harum Scarum" soundtrack, because it was the first Elvis album I ever owned. My brother won it from a local radio station, and gave it to me. I did play it a lot, and loved "Hey Little Girl" and "Wisdom Of The Ages." As I got older, I realized what I was dealing with. Not a good album, by any stretch. But, again, I will always "like" it.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:44 am

Greg1995 wrote:The album is weak, however there is one song that is really outstanding - "So Close, Yet So Far From Paradise" .

i totally agree!~ :D

Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:20 pm

I enjoy teh Harum Scarum soundtrack - nice and unique with some interesting instrumentation and catchy tunes.

The worst soundtrack by far is Paradise; Hawaiian Style. This Is My Heaven and Sand Castles are not enough to save it.

Girl Happy is one of my favourite Soundtracks actually! Very cheerful!

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:01 pm

Paradise Hawaiian Style has some of the worst songs ever recorded by Elvis: Datin', Queenie Wahine's Papaya, A Dog's Life and Scratch My Back. However, House of Sand and the title track are quite good songs.

Apart from Puppet on a String and (to a lesser extent) Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce the songs from Girl Happy are forgettable (though none of them as bad as the four shockers from Paradise Hawaiian Style)

I think Harum Scarum is actually quite a good album and has been disregarded due to the film being so bad. Kismet, Mirage, Wisdom of the Ages and So Close Yet So Far are great songs. Golden Coins and Go East Young Man are interesting in their Middle Eastern sounds and perfectly pleasant songs. My Desert Serenade and Animal Instinct are not terrible songs; they're just forgettable. Harem Holiday, Hey Little Girl and Shake That Tambourine are perfectly tolerable and to be honest quite catchy despite the silly lyrics.
Last edited by charro1971 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:21 pm

Elvis may have had the 3 worst consecutive albums ever released by a major recording artist with Harum Scarum, Frankie & Johnny, and PHS. When Spinout came out. it seemed like a reprieve.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:34 pm

I like 7 of the songs on PHS.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm

charro1971 wrote:
Apart from Puppet on a String and (to a lesser extent) Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce the songs from Girl Happy are forgettable (though none of them as bad as the four shockers from Paradise Hawaiian Style)

What about the super catchy title track, the feel-good Spring fever, The sultry "Do Not Disturb" and the fabulously movin' "Meanest Girl In Town"? All extremely enjoyable.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:14 pm

I love the outtake of the song Girl Happy on Collector's Gold. Too bad they felt the need to speed up the master.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:46 pm

skatterbrane wrote:I like 7 of the songs on PHS.

7??? I must ask why. Surely you know this material is subpar. Is it only because Elvis is singing it? In other words, if it ws Tom Jones or some other singer, they would suck right?