Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Legacy release coming of Elvis Live In Memphis

Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:13 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Elvis’s legacy is problematic from the start because he recorded songs not albums – so the release as albums (even in the 50s) was often a case of a “best fit” scenario. As an artist Elvis would probably have loved the idea of itunes, where each song can be downloaded individually rather than as part of a collection – because that was how he worked. So, why do you view it as such a pointless exercise to strip away the structure of the album format, and those biased reviews of forty years ago, and review the work on a song by song basis and attempt to make sense of it and re-evaluate it from a modern perspective. If this has been afforded to every important popular artist of the twentieth century from Hitchcock to Sinatra, why not Elvis?

Totally agree.

I think an alternate history series would be a fine way to go. Create classy, consistent, solid albums for given time periods with great new cover designs. Make the coolest possible releases from the best possible recordings.

We'd surely have a whole new batch of favourite "albums" then.

Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Elvis’s legacy is problematic from the start because he recorded songs not albums – so the release as albums (even in the 50s) was often a case of a “best fit” scenario. As an artist Elvis would probably have loved the idea of itunes, where each song can be downloaded individually rather than as part of a collection – because that was how he worked. So, why do you view it as such a pointless exercise to strip away the structure of the album format, and those biased reviews of forty years ago, and review the work on a song by song basis and attempt to make sense of it and re-evaluate it from a modern perspective. If this has been afforded to every important popular artist of the twentieth century from Hitchcock to Sinatra, why not Elvis?

Totally agree.

I think an alternate history series would be a fine way to go. Create classy, consistent, solid albums for given time periods with great new cover designs. Make the coolest possible releases from the best possible recordings.

Yes, but I was actually talking about a new way of discussing the material in book form!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 am

Rich_TCB wrote:
When In Rome wrote:
Ty@TheFilmFrontier wrote:
Thanks, Daryl. One thing to be aware of regarding this is that on reissued material, Amazon does not always use the same source for its AutoRip version as the physical media version.

Troy

This is true. I pre-ordered the Live in Memphis Legacy Edition and got the auto-rip for the 1994 release. I sent Amazon an email regarding this matter and they are looking into it...

Any update on this?

Hotdamn YES!!! Amazon have just emailed to tell me they've uploaded it to my web player, cynical old me thought 'Hmmn... whatever' but blow me if it's not there, the Live In Memphis Legacy edition! Listening it now...

Capture.PNG

Help Me false start intact! Darn, Not got time to listen to it all but it'll be on my iPod as soon as possible.

Oddly enough it's still not all available to download aside from 'See See Rider', I suppose the CD is only released in a fortnight though.
I'm impressed so far, the overpowering reverb (IMO) has gone and I think this could be the definitive go-to version for these ears anyway!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:52 am

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

Like Tomorrow is a Long Time (1999) maybe? That was a huge album for me, released 20 years after I started buying music, but at around the exact time I became an Elvis addict, I loved it and it was a contributor to my addiciton which continues..!

I agree with you anyway, and as well as CDs they could do it online too for the iTunes generations, create good value solid albums with a decent accompanying "cover" / title.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:51 am

When In Rome wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:
Any update on this?

Hotdamn YES!!! Amazon have just emailed to tell me they've uploaded it to my web player, cynical old me thought 'Hmmn... whatever' but blow me if it's not there, the Live In Memphis Legacy edition! Listening it now...

Capture.PNG

Help Me false start intact! Darn, Not got time to listen to it all but it'll be on my iPod as soon as possible.

Oddly enough it's still not all available to download aside from 'See See Rider', I suppose the CD is only released in a fortnight though.
I'm impressed so far, the overpowering reverb (IMO) has gone and I think this could be the definitive go-to version for these ears anyway!

Great news :smt023

So now I wonder if I go ahead and place my order for the CD's, if the correct MP3's will be available to me, or will I have to contact them to get the correct tracks.

Did they say it's been corrected in their system? Or did they just upload the correct MP3's to you?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:02 am

This is the email I received (minus all the clutter etc...)

"Hello,
I'm writing in relation to your query about the Autorip download “ Elvis as Recorded Live on Stage in Memphis”.
I've just received an update from our technical team that they have successfully uploaded the songs to your Cloud Player account.
To access and play your music, go to:
1. Visit: http://www.amazon.co.uk/cloudplayer
2. Check the box next to each song you want to download and select "Download".
Note: If the file extension is .amz, choose "Open" to launch the Amazon MP3 Downloader and complete the download.
If by any reason the MP3 album doesn’t appear on your Cloud Player or encounter any issues while downloading, please contact us by replying to this e-mail.
Thanks for your interest in Amazon MP3."

I'm not 100% sure if it's just me or not, perhaps it is, the album is still unavailable for purchase download...

Just to clarify though - the autorip Disc 1 has 25 tracks and Disc 2 has 27 tracks, it's all good... on the download anyhoo! :wink:

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:09 am

Well yeah, the MP3 album wouldn't be available to the public to purchase yet, just as the CD's aren't available. But if you pre-order the CD's, the MP3's are available via AutoRip.

Thanks for the additional info.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:12 am

Just noticed that Amazon has uploaded the image of the back cover.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:43 am

..has anyone else downloaded this yet and listened to it?

JEFF d
EP fan

Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:56 am

Here's the FTD LP cover...

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:03 am

Rich_TCB wrote:Just noticed that Amazon has uploaded the image of the back cover.

Based on the photo Amazon has provided, it appears that the tracklisting has been corrected and "Blueberry Hill" is in fact listed & included, as Ernst promised. (You'll need a magnifying glass to actually read the list).

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:10 am

the uncropped photo :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:02 am

When you pre-order the album on Amazon are you charged for it immediately, or when it comes out?

Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:07 am

PMP, I think that you should seriously consider taking on that book project. I believe that you would be the right person for the job. I like your writing style: you articulate your viewpoints very well, you write about the music in a passionate way and yet you can also be very critical if needed. Think about it… You already have one buyer :)

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:23 pm

Rich_TCB wrote:Well yeah, the MP3 album wouldn't be available to the public to purchase yet, just as the CD's aren't available. But if you pre-order the CD's, the MP3's are available via AutoRip.

When I've preordered before using amazon (UK) the autorip has never turned up two weeks before the CD is released, its usually on the day. Unless I've just been unlucky!
I really like it, the mix is closer to the feel of the original album only without the dubbed applause.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:02 pm

When In Rome wrote:
Rich_TCB wrote:Well yeah, the MP3 album wouldn't be available to the public to purchase yet, just as the CD's aren't available. But if you pre-order the CD's, the MP3's are available via AutoRip.

When I've preordered before using amazon (UK) the autorip has never turned up two weeks before the CD is released, its usually on the day. Unless I've just been unlucky!
I really like it, the mix is closer to the feel of the original album only without the dubbed applause.

Thats been my experience too!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:19 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Here's the FTD LP cover...

Hey that's a nice cover. Looks authentic too - like an album cover of the time.

Better than the actual sleeve which would in fact have been a far better cover for FROM ELVIS PRESLEY BOULEVARD, MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE (Recorded Live)

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:00 pm

Rock Legend wrote:PMP, I think that you should seriously consider taking on that book project. I believe that you would be the right person for the job. I like your writing style: you articulate your viewpoints very well, you write about the music in a passionate way and yet you can also be very critical if needed. Think about it… You already have one buyer :)

That's very flattering, RL, and it is something I have thought about in the past, but at the moment there are too many things in the way. In order to get the maximum publicity it would need to be out for the 80th birthday in January. That in itself isn't a problem from a writing point of view, but it would never get published via traditional means in that time. That's fine by me, as I prefer the self-publishing option and I think it is the way of the future, and books can take off through that means (and I thankfully have experience of that).

But the problem with self-publishing is the initial outlay and legal issues. With Elvis as the subject that is considerably more problematic than with other subjects because of...photos! To use an Elvis photo from a photo library for a cover costs a fortune, and your licence to use it can be revoked at any time. So I would need to find someone who actually took a photo of Elvis and still owns the copyright to it in order to even have a cover, let alone any pics inside the book (not that it would necessarily need any within the book). The other problem factor for me self-publishing a book on Elvis or even on film is the legalities of what pictures can be used within such a book and how - it is OK to use a picture of an album cover? or a record label? or an advert in a magazine? I have no idea on these issues - and these legal issues are much of the reason why I never finished my book on silent film choices for beginners (because of legalities over posters, screencaps etc).

In other words...I'm rather naïve on such matters!

Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:23 pm

Austin wrote:When you pre-order the album on Amazon are you charged for it immediately, or when it comes out?

You're not charged until they have shipped it.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:14 am

poormadpeter wrote: That's very flattering, RL, and it is something I have thought about in the past, but at the moment there are too many things in the way. In order to get the maximum publicity it would need to be out for the 80th birthday in January. That in itself isn't a problem from a writing point of view, but it would never get published via traditional means in that time. That's fine by me, as I prefer the self-publishing option and I think it is the way of the future, and books can take off through that means (and I thankfully have experience of that).

But the problem with self-publishing is the initial outlay and legal issues. With Elvis as the subject that is considerably more problematic than with other subjects because of...photos! To use an Elvis photo from a photo library for a cover costs a fortune, and your licence to use it can be revoked at any time. So I would need to find someone who actually took a photo of Elvis and still owns the copyright to it in order to even have a cover, let alone any pics inside the book (not that it would necessarily need any within the book). The other problem factor for me self-publishing a book on Elvis or even on film is the legalities of what pictures can be used within such a book and how - it is OK to use a picture of an album cover? or a record label? or an advert in a magazine? I have no idea on these issues - and these legal issues are much of the reason why I never finished my book on silent film choices for beginners (because of legalities over posters, screencaps etc).

There’s always ways to work around the issues you mention. I for one would be happy to help.

I don’t think there’s any need to get it ready for the 80th anniversary, you could also aim for the 40th anniversary of Elvis’ death. That would give you plenty of time to do a book that you can be proud of.

Think about it, Peter. In my opinion, you are the right guy for the job.

Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:18 am

Rock Legend wrote:
poormadpeter wrote: That's very flattering, RL, and it is something I have thought about in the past, but at the moment there are too many things in the way. In order to get the maximum publicity it would need to be out for the 80th birthday in January. That in itself isn't a problem from a writing point of view, but it would never get published via traditional means in that time. That's fine by me, as I prefer the self-publishing option and I think it is the way of the future, and books can take off through that means (and I thankfully have experience of that).

There’s always ways to work around the issues you mention. I for one would be happy to help.

I don’t think there’s any need to get it ready for the 80th anniversary, you could also aim for the 40th anniversary of Elvis’ death. That would give you plenty of time to do a book that you can be proud of.

Think about it, Peter. In my opinion, you are the right guy for the job.

If I took it on, it would be done in the coming months when I have no serious work to do. I can't message you, but would you be good enough to message me with a way to contact you?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:13 am

That's odd. I have heard that before from someone trying to contact me through FECC. You can just e-mail me at: deelen@elvis.dk

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:13 am

Hi,

I have added my article/review on my blog which can be accessed here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com

Peter

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 pm

cashfan wrote:Hi,

I have added my article/review on my blog which can be accessed here - http://peterlewryblog.weebly.com

Peter

Thanks! I've enjoyed it.

By The Way, does the Richmond show sound exactly as the FTD, with that unbearable echo?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:29 pm

Nice read Peter, looks like this release could finally be released as it should have been 40yrs ago .....