Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis The 1950s TV Performances

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:43 am

Hi Friends,

I've been hoping that the Berle, Allen, and Dorsey Shows would turn up officially on DVD but as of today, nothing and 60 years has gone by. I thought the Sullivan DVD set a few years ago was great because the shows were complete, not just the performances. Is there any news of these being released or can someone direct me to finding them in their entirety? Please advise.

Thanks,

Samuel

Re: Elvis The 1950s TV Performances

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:01 am

spk65 wrote:Hi Friends,

I've been hoping that the Berle, Allen, and Dorsey Shows would turn up officially on DVD but as of today, nothing and 60 years has gone by. I thought the Sullivan DVD set a few years ago was great because the shows were complete, not just the performances. Is there any news of these being released or can someone direct me to finding them in their entirety? Please advise.

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel -

Seven years ago, when that marvelous Ed Sullivan set was released, I wrote this:

If the "Sullivan" DVD set does well, it will accelerate the process for issuing Elvis' other 1956 TV appwearances. If not, say your prayers.

Do I care? Hell yes! It's history, it's rock and roll, raw and real, it's Elvis changing and influencing people from coast-to-coast. Also, say hello to "classic" rock and roll style: rhythm guitar/singer, lead guitar, bass, and drums. After 1956, nothing would be the same.

Having recently revisited all of the "Dorsey" performances, it's fascinating to watch the musical and professional growth between January and March. The rough edges from touring all over the south in 1955 come into sharp focus as Elvis finds his power as a singer, performer and agitator. He knew what he was doing.

The ideal DVD release would feature all six half hours of the "Dorsey" program, in the manner of the upcoming "Sullivan" DVD. It is not impossible ALL the remaining appearances could make one collection:

DVD 1
=> "Stage Show" - CBS-TV (Jan 28-Mar 24 '56) - 3 hours
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Apr 3 '56) - 1 hour

DVD 2
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Jun 5 '56) - 1 hour
=> "The Steve Allen Show" - NBC-TV (Jul 1' 56) - 1 hour

Bonus:
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Jun 5 '56, in lenticular color) - 1 hour
=> "Hy Gardner Calling" WRCA-TV, NBC NY affiliate (Jul 1 '56) - 10 minutes

---

And, of course, all of it processed with Kevin Segura's "LiveFeed Video Imaging" software, a la the "Sullivan" set.

If I can dream, indeed.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25031&p=300303#p300303

Seven years later, and fans have gotten NOTHING. It's a very sad state of affairs.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Dec 06, 2014 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:52 am

Part of the problem here is because the footage isn't owned by EPE but by the television companies, and it's up to them (or whoever owns them these days) to put this stuff out. Image Entertainment put out the Sullivan shows. Image was an independent company (not dissimilar from Kino) that gained the license to put out material owned by others - whether these be restorations of silent films or modern indies. However, since the release of the Elvis/Sullivan shows, the nature of Image Entertainment has changed significantly. They are now making material as well as acting as distributors. What's more, one look through recent additions to their catalogue shows that they are no longer concentrating on releasing vintage film and TV programmes and quality independent films, but have gone much more into the mainstream. This presumably is one of the reasons why they didn't produce a follow-up to the Sullivan release (and presumably they could have come to an agreement with CBS again for the Stage Show performances) .

Interestingly, IMDB shows Image as copyright holders of the Milton Berle Show from 1999. However, my guess is that a significant number of episodes have fallen into the public domain, as Alpha video (a PD company) released a number of Berle episodes about 6 years ago. Looking at the previous releases of the Elvis appearances, it seems that they too are in the public domain. From the point of view of getting hold of the best elements to work from that is a hindrance not a help when it comes to TV and film.

On the one hand the PD law helps to make material such as this available (and it is available on various DVD issues over the years), but it also causes stumbling blocks when it comes to restorations. Films such as Royal Wedding and Till the Clouds Roll By suffered through this issue of essentially being in no-man’s-land for many years, and it is only relatively recently that WB have released restored versions, despite being hugely popular musicals. But with so many PD issues out there, the studios/networks have to weigh up the financial gains (or not) of doing archival searches and restorations etc.

With the exception of a couple of VHSs of a few public domain episodes, the Steve Allen Show has seemingly never been released for home video by NBC, although Channel Four in the UK showed a number of episodes (including the Elvis one) around twenty years ago (maybe more).
So, this material is bound in legal issues and unfortunate changes of circumstances within distribution companies and I doubt we will ever see it on DVD in decent quality. On the plus side, all of the material does exist and is relatively easy to find – and that is remarkable given the amount of TV from the era that is lost forever.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:03 am

Thanks guys! Here's to hoping we will see the ideal set some day :)

Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks,

Samuel

Hi Samuel -

Seven years ago, when that marvelous Ed Sullivan set was released, I wrote this:

If the "Sullivan" DVD set does well, it will accelerate the process for issuing Elvis' other 1956 TV appwearances. If not, say your prayers.

Do I care? Hell yes! It's history, it's rock and roll, raw and real, it's Elvis changing and influencing people from coast-to-coast. Also, say hello to "classic" rock and roll style: rhythm guitar/singer, lead guitar, bass, and drums. After 1956, nothing would be the same.

Having recently revisited all of the "Dorsey" performances, it's fascinating to watch the musical and professional growth between January and March. The rough edges from touring all over the south in 1955 come into sharp focus as Elvis finds his power as a singer, performer and agitator. He knew what he was doing.

The ideal DVD release would feature all six half hours of the "Dorsey" program, in the manner of the upcoming "Sullivan" DVD. It is not impossible ALL the remaining appearances could make one collection:

DVD 1
=> "Stage Show" - CBS-TV (Jan 28-Mar 24 '56) - 3 hours
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Apr 3 '56) - 1 hour

DVD 2
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Jun 5 '56) - 1 hour
=> "The Steve Allen Show" - NBC-TV (Jul 1' 56) - 1 hour

Bonus:
=> "The Milton Berle Show" - NBC-TV (Jun 5 '56, in lenticular color) - 1 hour
=> "Hy Gardner Calling" WABC-TV, local NY (Jul 1 '56) - 10 minutes

---

And, of course, all of it processed with Kevin Segura's "LiveFeed Video Imaging" software, a la the "Sullivan" set.

If I can dream, indeed.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25031&p=300303#p300303

Seven years later, and fans have gotten NOTHING. It's a very sad state of affairs.

Don't forget the bonus of the complete "Dance Party" show with Wink Marindale.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:06 pm

ekenee wrote:

Hell yeah, I'd love to see the Dewey Phillips bit - we have the audio but I've never seen the footage. Would be cool!

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:30 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Hell yeah, I'd love to see the Dewey Phillips bit - we have the audio but I've never seen the footage. Would be cool!

What's the "Dewey Phillips bit"?

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:31 pm

ekenee wrote:

I think it still exists too because of an interview with Wink in ETMAHM.

He stated he loaned it out for a documentary and he didn't get it back.

That had to be "This is Elvis", with Andrew Solt or Malcom Leo having it.

Dewey sang money honey and joked around a bit.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:00 pm

ekenee wrote:

I haven't even heard the audio. I'll check it out on youtube. Thanks for that info.

Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:25 pm

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Seven years later, and fans have gotten NOTHING. It's a very sad state of affairs.

I didn't. The kinescope of the Saturday, June 16, 1956 broadcast of WHBQ's "Top Ten Dance Party," with hosts Wink Martindale and Susie Bancroft, was either never made, or lost long ago.

560616_w Wink Martindale_WHBQ TV_Memphis.JPG
Screen shot from personal film footage, Saturday, June 16, 1956

On the other hand, the personal film taken at Wink's behest to archive Elvis' visit does exist, but is incomplete and less essential than the broadcasts in the detailed listing I originally posted 7 years back.

I very much doubt we will see anything like my suggestion at retail, as those in charge obviously do not see a market for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Thanks,

Samuel

Check your PM box for a Link to the Golden Archives of all Elvis videos from the 50's-70's thru the 2000's to watch free, and all are in HD.