Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New Straight Arrow: Endless Summer Festival

Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:25 am

I have the understanding that we have a 2 mike off line recording.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:05 pm

It's a great album. yet the concert of August 20, 1973 still sounds better

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:13 am

Just got these CD's...... dinner show sounds a bit louder than the M/S (very short R/T only 45 minutes!~)but both are very clear nice recordings!~ both shows are also good with audio wise the D/S (again only 45 minutes R/T!~)my fav so far.... but i haven't had time yet to listen completely to both shows.more later,,,. :D 8)

Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:51 am

Gave both short shows a good listen to last night. Again both are decent shows and great sound.Staff @ Vegas Showroom must have been delighted with his short/sharp only 45 minute shows.Pity he stuffs up 'MY BOY' @ Dinner Show, but for non weekend mid week shows these are 'ok' somehow i get the feeling Elvis put bit more into his weekend shows, but not much to complain about here. pleasant listening of another 2 shows i (thought) i'd never hear!~ Now please bring us the 23/8/73 Dinner Show Straight ARROW!~ :smt007

Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:13 am

I have heard there is more to come of these unreleased soundbooth tapes..bring them on..

Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:57 am

A couple of samples

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/cds/endles ... stival.htm

To me these things are just good audience recordings and nothing else.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:24 pm

Francesc wrote:A couple of samples

That's all they are meant to be, aren't they? As somebody who once owned a few hundred audience recorded cassettes back in the day, I'd place these at the top end of the spectrum. When I think back to some of the rubbish that I used to endure these are high grade, and rather enjoyable. I'm a bit out of the loop though, so it's quite possible that these are only average by today's standards. I'm only speaking as somebody with a small collection of audience CDs.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:07 pm

The Pirate wrote:

That's all they are meant to be, aren't they? As somebody who once owned a few hundred audience recorded cassettes back in the day, I'd place these at the top end of the spectrum. When I think back to some of the rubbish that I used to endure these are high grade, and rather enjoyable. I'm a bit out of the loop though, so it's quite possible that these are only average by today's standards. I'm only speaking as somebody with a small collection of audience CDs.

My sentiments exactly. We used to listen to stuff that sounded so bad we had to take it on faith that it was even an Elvis show. We are so spiled these days.

Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:39 pm

The Pirate wrote:

I was saying that in relation of the booth tapes.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:27 am

Francesc wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

No, I understand, but I think people are maybe expecting too much. All the booth did was allow people to tape the show without having to hide the machine. It didn't mean that they were setting up professional equipment or anything, they were still mostly using the same cheap tape recorders as they would have if they were out in the auditorium.

Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:34 am

:D Just listened closely to the 22/8/73 Midnight Show. Again a great sounding good quality 'short show' he does the 'time to go' C.H.F.I.L. closing number and during Sus Minds says 'i hate this song' but MY BOY is a far better version than at the D/S and its a fast paced and lively show with mostly just singing and little else.Efficient you could say and EXACTLY what the Hilton hotel approved of.Considering many other shows from the season with more expansive track-listings and running for 1 hour this IS a short show somewhat even similar to the Winter 73 Engagement, but lovely quality sound. and to think like the Pirate says to the rubbish sound we used to put up with on new bootlegs in the 80'sthis is marvelous. Remember what a great job SA did with the 2 shows from 26th August 1973 in 2012!~ although these are 'bog standard shows' GREAT SOUND helps one enjoy these much more!~ 8)

Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:39 am

YDKM wrote:GREAT SOUND helps one enjoy these much more!~ 8)

This is why I am very very picky about what audience recordings I purchase & I like to hear the sound samples beforehand ;)

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 am

:D Just listened again to D/S probably slightly the best sound of the 2 shows and apart from 'MY BOY' stuff -up ok show too. 8) :lol:

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:06 pm

Francesc wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Exactly my words from page 3:

Good sounding audience recordings. Nothing more, nothing less.

Soundbooth recordings? No!

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:02 pm

not 100% sure about these endless summer ones but certainly recent 'echoes of Aloha is~!' these are a real treat to be able to HEAR and enjoy a show compared to all my poor sounding other audience cassettes!~ :D

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:17 am

:D listened again to the D/S...with a fluffed 'MY BOY' NO 'Steamroller' or 'Big Hunk' the M/S IS THE ONE to listen to -otherwise shows are SAME. also J.D.Sumner does great ending to I got a Woman/Amen in the 2nd show. Its the M/S i will play most often of the 2 shows in this SA Package. 8)

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:51 am

G.I. Blues wrote:
Francesc wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Exactly my words from page 3:

Soundbooth recordings? No!

And as I said then, they are booth recordings. I don't know what a "soundbooth" is, but they were advertised as booth recordings, and that's what it says on the artwork. A booth is a place where certain members of the audience sat, rather than being at a table on the floor. It afforded them a bit of privacy and It allowed them to record the show easier.

I don't know why people are carrying on like there's some kind of false advertising going on here.

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:36 am

:D well they sound 'Great' anyhow.....only other show i heard from this season sounding better was the SA release from 26/8/73 Midnight Show!~ :smt007

Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:07 am

Interestingly i listened again to SA 'Elvis down at the end of paradise road' CD for the August 30th 1973 M/S. Excellent show with bonus 'Trouble','Bridge',First Time' + How Great Thou Art excellent versions and a show 25% longer than this SA release shows. Trouble is a generous sound rating of 8/10 doesn't match the 9/10 sound on the latest SA release here in this thread..... oh if only this 30th August show was in 9/10 sound!~ :?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I have the understanding that we have a 2 mike off line recording.

What does this mean?

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:29 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:

Soundbooth recordings? No![/i][/b]

Both shows were recorded with a tape recorder with 2 mikes plugged in somewhere near the stage. The audience reactions can be clearly heard with a stereo effect created by this recording format. The term "soundbooth recording" has become a well-known saying for this kind of recordings. The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage. The common fans who recorded the shows surely hadn`t such a best spot to place their equipment. This might be the reason for varying sound quality. Anyway.. it is still very, very good in our case. For collectors of such stuff a dream come true and unreleased before in any form. Any collector of such things who don`t like it has missed the plot. I have heard there is even more to come..bring em.... ::rocks

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:32 pm

We need tapes from 1970 and we need them NOW!!

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 am

:D I would say just please bring us any unheard show preferably from the 1969-1975 time period we now have more than enough 76/77 shows in both soundboard and good audience recordings!~ :D

Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:21 pm

The compulsive collector in me is thrilled to acquire two "new" concerts, but, God, he is like a robot in these shows. It's as if they had an inside joke going on. How fast can we get out there, run 19 songs, and split?

Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Ciscoking wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:

Soundbooth recordings? No![/i][/b]

Both shows were recorded with a tape recorder with 2 mikes plugged in somewhere near the stage. The audience reactions can be clearly heard with a stereo effect created by this recording format. The term "soundbooth recording" has become a well-known saying for this kind of recordings. The professional soundbooth recordings like the fabulous August 20, 1973 MS as released by the Fort Baxter label surely were made at an optimal booth (to have the term again) somewhere on the stage. The common fans who recorded the shows surely hadn`t such a best spot to place their equipment. This might be the reason for varying sound quality. Anyway.. it is still very, very good in our case. For collectors of such stuff a dream come true and unreleased before in any form. Any collector of such things who don`t like it has missed the plot. I have heard there is even more to come..bring em.... ::rocks

So, every fan taped show is a soundbooth recording as long as it is in stereo, no matter how good or bad the sound quality is???