Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Re: Opening night 1969 - reviews

Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:16 am

We need a FTD release similar to last year's FTD release of "The On Stage Season - The Opening And Closing Shows 1970" that pairs the purported August 3, 1969 DS recording that's been bootlegged a number of times and the untouched August 23, 1969 DS (multi-track). It could be called "The In Person Season - 1969" or something to that effect. FTD could even incorporate the song title "Twenty Days And Twenty Nights" into the title as the two shows are 20 days and 20 nights apart. They could even get Ann Moses to write the liner notes again.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:55 am

DEH wrote:Jerry Hopkins saw the show and does not list "That's Alright Mama" or "One Night".

Does Jerry Hopkins claim in his 1971 biography of Elvis he attended the 7-31-1969 OS? Because I do not recall an explicit statement, and your posting history on this forum is extremely dubious when it comes to facts.

King Volcano wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's another remembrance, new to me, from Saturday Review critic Ellen Sander.

That's a fascinating piece, thanks for posting it.

My pleasure.

It was indeed interesting, and the fact that she never understood the significance of this period in Presley's career betrayed her limitations as a truly credible music critic. Rex Reed understood opening night better than Sander, and that's telling.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:10 am

Ciscoking wrote:
Daryl wrote:I think doc made the same suggestion. Did Columbus and Tessum erroneously include "That's All Right" because it was actually done at the August 1, 1969 DS, which Columbus also attended? This would match nicely with the Ray Connolly review.

Where is written that Columbus attended the August 1, 1969 DS, too..? Then we`d had a reason to doubt his review or at least That`s All Right being sung at OS.

"His" review? My goodness, Joachim, if you are doing research on the first 1969 concert, and it is clear you are, you need to PAY ATTENTION.

Maria Columbus is a woman, and her 1983 fan memory is co-written with another woman, Jeannie Tessum.

Their review is posted on FECC (and the link to it appears twice on page 2). Had you read it, you would not have asked the question about 8-01-1969 DS, either.

Come on, man.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
DEH wrote:Jerry Hopkins saw the show and does not list "That's Alright Mama" or "One Night".

Does Jerry Hopkins claim in his 1971 biography of Elvis he attended the 7-31-1969 OS? Because I do not recall an explicit statement, and your posting history on this forum is extremely dubious when it comes to facts.

King Volcano wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Here's another remembrance, new to me, from Saturday Review critic Ellen Sander.

My pleasure.

It was indeed interesting, and the fact that she never understood the significance of this period in Presley's career betrayed her limitations as a truly credible music critic. Rex Reed understood opening night better than Sander, and that's telling.

Doc, I pulled my copy of the Hopkins reprint that came out a few years ago, titled "Elvis The Biography" (Plexus 2007) with red used on the front and back of the cover.

http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-The-Biograp ... 0859653919

The cover photo is a picture of Elvis wearing the sweater in "Jailhouse Rock" and the back cover has the photo of Elvis in the gold lame outfit used on "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong Elvis Gold Records Volume 2." I don't know if this is simply a straight reprint of the original 1971 book by Hopkins. But reading the text where Hopkins talks about opening night, it left me with the impression that he was describing something he witnessed. I don't think he ever explicity came out and said that he was there. I will dig out my copy of the original book from 1971 and compare. In the 2007 Plexus edition, he does go through each song selection. He also mentions the B.S. story that someone quoted earlier in this thread.

Blue Suede Shoes
I Got A Woman
Love Me Tender
Jailhouse Rock / Don't Be Cruel
Heartbreak Hotel
All Shook Up
Hound Dog
Memories
My Babe
I Can't Stop Loving You
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Yesterday / Hey Jude
Johnny B. Goode
Mystery Train / Tiger Man
What'd I Say
Can't Help Falling In Love

Daryl

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

King Volcano wrote:

My pleasure.

Hello,

I emailed Jerry Hopkins and this is the response I got.

Hello... ...and thanks for writing. I was not present for Elvis's opening night. My wife attended soon afterward and although I can't get more specific than that, I'm sure I was using another source when I described the opening. After all this time, I'm not sure who or what that source may have been---I now live in Thailand and don't have my archives with me---it might have been Jon Landau, who wrote a review of Elvis's return...though I'm not certain he was there opening night.Sorry, that's all the help I can offer. Good luck and thanks again for writing...Jerry

Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:20 pm

It's the same deal with the original book. He says that journalists from both coasts were all welcome, and he includes a detailed description of the concert, but never specifically says that he attended. The temptation is to assume that it's his personal review (and it might be), but yes it could be based on someone else's notes. In any case, whoever recalled the show seems to have only recalled those songs.

EDIT: Just saw the extra post with your reference to the email to Jerry.

Perhaps he was using David Dalton's notes (although I'm not certain that Dalton was present at the opening).

Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:20 pm

Dalton. I feel pretty sure of that. And even that doesn't seem like the very first night. But it was a fun review!

Still shocked that Hopkins wasn't even there. Disillusioning.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 pm

John....sorry so many reviews and answers and links..and you know English isn`t my mother tongue..but now I have sorted it..I was just confused a bit...I did read it, of course..thanks for your input...and all others, too.. :smt006

Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:02 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

King Volcano wrote:

My pleasure.

You have made your share of mistakes (and not owned up to them) so u should not point fingers at other people who makes mistakes. Hopkins gave the impression he was at the show. he did not say he was commenting on someone elses review.

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Daryl wrote:I emailed Jerry Hopkins and this is the response I got.

Hello... ...and thanks for writing. I was not present for Elvis's opening night. My wife attended soon afterward and although I can't get more specific than that, I'm sure I was using another source when I described the opening. After all this time, I'm not sure who or what that source may have been---I now live in Thailand and don't have my archives with me---it might have been Jon Landau, who wrote a review of Elvis's return...though I'm not certain he was there opening night.Sorry, that's all the help I can offer. Good luck and thanks again for writing...Jerry

Thanks for confirming what I suspected: Hopkins was not at the 7-31-1969 OS and never said that in his book.

Unfortunately, member "DEH" consistently posts spurious information as fact, and that is not helpful to anyone trying to analyze this period.

Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:38 pm

Rodney Bingenheimers review which is present in the book The Elvis Files Vol 5 says thats all right was performed after i got a woman

Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:37 pm

voldto wrote:Rodney Bingenheimers review which is present in the book The Elvis Files Vol 5 says thats all right was performed after i got a woman

What`s his source..?

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:03 am

voldto wrote:Rodney Bingenheimers review which is present in the book The Elvis Files Vol 5 says thats all right was performed after i got a woman

I twice cited Bingenheimer, on pages 1 and 2, including a reference to the book:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=81696&p=1262062#p1262062
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=81696&p=1262433#p1262433

Did you not read pages 1 and 2?

Ciscoking wrote:What`s his source..?

I already told you on page 1 that Rodney attended the show and the press conference ...

I am getting the impression you are not very good with details, Joachim. :cry:

Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:12 am

John..I am getting 50.. ..time to retire.. :wink:...

Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:54 am

Ciscoking wrote:John..I am getting 50.. ..time to retire.. :wink:...

Diet and exercise are key!