Post here your Elvis' pictures

"My Mom And Elvis" - Paris, France - 1959 ?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 am

So I'm cleaning my house today and re-thinking some of my decor, just trying to keep things fresh when I came across something I take for granted every day. A picture of my Mom with Elvis. How many people can relate to that I wonder?
When I was growing up my Dad was in the Air Force. We traveled. A lot......I was 4 years old when we moved to France.
As a teen I would look at this picture and wonder......finally asked my Mom, "What's up with you and Elvis anyway?"
She told me the story of the day she and a girlfriend went into Paris (the big city), we didn't live in Paris but a smaller outlying town. As they were walking down the street my Mom looked across the street and said, "Oh my gosh, there's Elvis Presley!" She was beside herself and wanted to go meet him but her friend was really shy and didn't.....so my Mom went over by herself and met him and had her picture taken with him.

Paris.JPG

http://littlebeachdesigns.blogspot.com.es/2010_04_01_archive.html -- middle of page.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: "My Mom And Elvis" - Paris, France - 1959 ?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 am

Thank you MisterMoon, for sharing this story!

Ed

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 am

Neat find!

Elvis went to Paris three times:

June 13-27 1959
July 3-5 1959
January 12-18 1960

The photo must be from the first visit.

Below is the direct blog link, and the entire text, which I found touching. I also included the other photo, as it was clearly taken the same day, and helps place where in Paris Elvis was at the time. I also "straightened" the images up.

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 14, 2010
My Mom and Elvis.......

IMG_5048.JPG

So I'm cleaning my house today and re-thinking some of my decor, just trying to keep things fresh when I came across something I take for granted every day. A picture of my Mom with Elvis. How many people can relate to that I wonder?

When I was growing up my Dad was in the Air Force. We traveled. A lot......I was 4 years old when we moved to France.

As a teen I would look at this picture and wonder......finally asked my Mom, "What's up with you and Elvis anyway?"

She told me the story of the day she and a girlfriend went into Paris (the big city), we didn't live in Paris but a smaller outlying town. As they were walking down the street my Mom looked across the street and said, "Oh my gosh, there's Elvis Presley!" She was beside herself and wanted to go meet him but her friend was really shy and didn't.....so my Mom went over by herself and met him and had her picture taken with him.

IMG_5049.JPG

Obviously this was at the time that he was in the Army.....look how handsome he is! And my Mom is just beaming, how cute is she? I treasure this photo......

The second photo is of my Mom and Dad on the Champs Elysees....tres chic!

My Mom was always so stylish and classic in her dress and manner....I miss her every day.

Cherish those you love..........:).

POSTED BY GAIL THAYER AT 10:11 PM

http://littlebeachdesigns.blogspot.com.es/2010/04/my-mom-and-elvis.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:05 am

ed40 wrote:Thank you MisterMoon, for sharing this story!

My pleasure, Ed !

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Neat find!

Elvis went to Paris three times:

June 13-27 1959
July 3-5 1959
January 12-18 1960

The photo must be from the first visit.

Below is the direct blog link, and the entire text, which I found touching. I also included the other photo, as it was clearly taken the same day, and helps place where in Paris Elvis was at the time. I also "straightened" the images up.

Thanks a lot, Doc, for the exact dates of Elvis' visits to Paris, the "straightened" images, and the rest of the blog entry, which I missed, probably because I kinda was in a hurry when I posted this as I was going to dinner ! :)

Yes, the other photo seems to come from the same day.

Thanks again !

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 am

Very nice. Thanks.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:13 am

mike edwards66 wrote:Very nice. Thanks.

You're welcome, Mike !

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:18 am

Here is another.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:31 am

ArtyMorty wrote:Here is another.

That is hilarious. While her husband took the main photo, another fan snapped one from a different angle.

Mister Moon, you should send this alternate to the daughter who posted the blog, Gail Thayer.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Your mother is simply adorable! And lucky! Love seeing these rare photos!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Another cool post, Mister Moon. You keep unearthing these little gems. Thanks for posting.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:32 pm

Thanks MM

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:11 pm

Teriffic! It's amazing what photos are still turning up...AND with alternate angles!!! Thank you.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Not only an alternate angle it is a different picture in as much as his expression is different. so maybe seconds apart.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:37 pm

GetLow wrote:Your mother is simply adorable! And lucky! Love seeing these rare photos!

The blog was posted by someone named Gail Thayer. It's her mom.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Thanks, ArtyMorty. This is such a cool addition !

drjohncarpenter wrote:Mister Moon, you should send this alternate to the daughter who posted the blog, Gail Thayer.

Yes, I will definitely try and contact her. I will let you all know about her eventual answer. Thank you !

GetLow wrote:Your mother is simply adorable! And lucky! Love seeing these rare photos!

She's not my mother, as the Doc has pointed out ! :D

Glad you liked it, anyway !

jon_burrows wrote:Another cool post, Mister Moon. You keep unearthing these little gems. Thanks for posting.

keninlincs wrote:Thanks MM

Tony.. wrote:Teriffic! It's amazing what photos are still turning up...AND with alternate angles!!! Thank you.

You are all very welcome !

My pleasure !

Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 pm

So that was my Mom with Elvis! Imagine my surprise when someone emailed me the alternate view.....it blew my mind! Obviously while my Dad was taking the original someone else was taking a photo of them nearby.
I told my Dad about this and he told me the story as he remembers it........we were stationed in France, he was in the Air Force as a medic. My younger brother was born in France and he was a few months old so they went into Paris to go to the American Embassy to register him as an American citizen.
It was my Mom and Dad and another couple, a friend that my Dad worked with and his wife. As they were walking down the Champs Elysee my Dad saw a big group of people walking towards them.....he watched them pass and said, "That was Elvis!" My Mom and her friend didn't see him but went running after him after he'd passed and asked if they could have their pictures taken with him. My Dad said he was so nice about it and very accommodating.....a real gentleman.
I'm attaching another photo that he took of Elvis in Paris, I hope it works for you to see the photo.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:15 pm

Such an awesome story. Thanks for taking the time.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:33 pm

alansgail wrote:So that was my Mom with Elvis! Imagine my surprise when someone emailed me the alternate view.....it blew my mind! Obviously while my Dad was taking the original someone else was taking a photo of them nearby.
I told my Dad about this and he told me the story as he remembers it........we were stationed in France, he was in the Air Force as a medic. My younger brother was born in France and he was a few months old so they went into Paris to go to the American Embassy to register him as an American citizen.
It was my Mom and Dad and another couple, a friend that my Dad worked with and his wife. As they were walking down the Champs Elysee my Dad saw a big group of people walking towards them.....he watched them pass and said, "That was Elvis!" My Mom and her friend didn't see him but went running after him after he'd passed and asked if they could have their pictures taken with him. My Dad said he was so nice about it and very accommodating.....a real gentleman.
I'm attaching another photo that he took of Elvis in Paris, I hope it works for you to see the photo.

Thank you very much, Gail, for this priceless post. I'm glad you liked the alternate photo I sent you. As I already explained, and as you may have noticed, it was posted here by member ArtyMorty.

It's so cool that you registered as a member to let us all know those interesting details about that day, and to share this additional photo with us.

I think the guy on the left is Elvis' friend Charlie Hodge. And in the background we can see a movie theater that was showing "Rio Bravo" !

Gail, would it be too much to ask you for a better view of the photo you used in your blog, which shows Elvis and your Mom ?

Thanks a million again.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 pm

alansgail wrote:So that was my Mom with Elvis! Imagine my surprise when someone emailed me the alternate view.....it blew my mind! Obviously while my Dad was taking the original someone else was taking a photo of them nearby.

590600_w Hodge_Champs-Élysées_Paris.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story, and how wonderful you get to see another photo of your mom with Elvis!

Thank you also for sharing the second shot your dad took of Presley posing with someone else on Champs-Élysées, and friend Charlie Hodge to his far right. It's a new one to my eyes.

Howard Hawks' "Rio Bravo" had just been released in June 1959, one wonders if Elvis saw it. He loved westerns, and he liked co-stars Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson very much.

All three photos of Presley must have been taken rather close together, notice how his left hand has the same pose in each one.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:11 pm

Thanks MM

Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That is hilarious. While her husband took the main photo, another fan snapped one from a different angle.

Mister Moon, you should send this alternate to the daughter who posted the blog, Gail Thayer.

Besides being hilarious, Elvis looks great at both angles! he could have coined the word photogenic.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:23 pm

Alansgail, you made my...year ! It's great to have your story. Thank you so much.
I had been told that Elvis stopped in front of the Elysées-Cinema theatre where Rio Bravo (one of my very favourite movies) was playing, but I was doubtful since the movie came to french cinemas only late in october. I suppose the Elysées-Cinema theatre showed there a version with english language only... By the way, your second pix is just marvellous as it proves he was right. Maybe someday another picture surfaces with Elvis looking at the theatre...

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:21 pm

FrenchGuy, and everyone else.....thanks very much. I'm happy to share these photos that I've lived with for most of my life. I realize how lucky and purely serendipitous it was that my parents ran into Elvis in Paris on that particular day.....what are the odds?

Gail

Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:29 pm

MisterMoon, I don't have a better photo of my Mom with Elvis, as you requested above. It's obviously a very old b&w photo and the exposure wasn't the best so I just have what I have. It may be worth it however to see if I could get the photo "cleaned up" by a pro.