Re: February 1961 Charity Shows -> Mysterious!

Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:40 pm

Here's a nice shot of Elvis at the luncheon, prior to the first show:

610225_w Mayor Henry Loeb.JPG
With Memphis Mayor Henry Loeb III, Hotel Claridge luncheon - Saturday, February 25, 1961
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Wow!thanks for all these informations and pics from Memphis 61!
Too bad we don't have nothing (Audio or video) about this two concerts! :cry:

Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:41 am

UPDATE

I added a FANTASTIC live shot from the afternoon gig to the original post, and below are a few more.

They were taken by the late Jim Reid of the Memphis Press-Scimitar. Enjoy!

610225_AS_w DJ Fontana_Memphis.jpg

610225_AS_w Ron Capone_Memphis.jpg

610225_AS_w Ron Capone_Brad Suggs_Bob Alexius_Memphis.jpg

610225_AS_crowd leaving Ellis_Memphis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Jim Reid took some great photos that day...and all through Elvis' life in Memphis - thanks Doc

Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:52 pm

paulsweeney wrote:Jim Reid took some great photos that day...and all through Elvis' life in Memphis - thanks Doc

Why the owners of the Memphis Press-Scimitar archives do not put together a high quality book of the photos and the stories, as they appeared between 1954 and 1977 is a mystery. Done well, it would be an ESSENTIAL work.

Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Bill Burk put out 2 several years ago - Jim Reid's Elvis photobooks were "Fond Memories of Elvis" and "Fond Memories of Elvis Vol. II Twenty-Three Years of Photos"

Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:08 am

paulsweeney wrote:Bill Burk put out 2 several years ago - Jim Reid's Elvis photobooks were "Fond Memories of Elvis" and "Fond Memories of Elvis Vol. II Twenty-Three Years of Photos"

IIRC, you are referring to paper-bound, magazine-size photo books. Not at all worthy of what that archive holds, or could offer.

I would love to have every article Robert Johnson or James Kingsley wrote on Elvis, carefully scanned from the original paper. And every great photo by Bob Williams, Jim Reid, Tom Barber, Fred Payne, Barney Sellers and others, carefully printed from the original, uncropped negative. I would pay a LOT of money for such a work. It would be invaluable to any Elvis Presley or 20th century pop culture scholar.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:Bill Burk put out 2 several years ago - Jim Reid's Elvis photobooks were "Fond Memories of Elvis" and "Fond Memories of Elvis Vol. II Twenty-Three Years of Photos"

IIRC, you are referring to paper-bound, magazine-size photo books. Not at all worthy of what that archive holds, or could offer.

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. As well, the Elvis Files Vol. 4 has about a dozen pages on Feb. 25, 1961...we'll have to make due until something else comes along.

Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:23 am

paulsweeney wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yes, that's what I'm referring to. As well, the Elvis Files Vol. 4 has about a dozen pages on Feb. 25, 1961...we'll have to make due until something else comes along.

Time is passing, we can't wait another century ... :-(

Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:32 am

This two-page RCA trade ad for the newest Presley disc mentions Elvis' successful charity shows.

Billboard Apr 10 1961 p36-37.JPG
Billboard - April 10, 1961

Note that the ad mentions "both 100% Benefit Shows," which may be when the media began to forget that Elvis actually did THREE benefit gigs, two in Memphis, one in Honolulu.

Billboard Apr 10 1961 p36-37_DETAIL.JPG

Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:18 pm

A nice COLOR shot from the evening show:

610225ES_Memphis.JPG

Thanks to bluejeans1944 for finding it.

Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:21 pm

Just re-reading this thread Doc. Great stuff!

Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:59 am

Thanks.

In this photo you can see:

Scotty Moore (guitar), Bob Alexius (acoustic bass), Elvis, D.J. Fontana (drums), Brad Suggs (guitar) and Ron Capone (drums)

Boy, I would love to hear what they sounded like that evening. But we'll probably never know.

Thanks to ed40 for finding it.

Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:36 pm

Paul,

Are Jim Reid's books still available? I'd guess probably...."No"....right?

Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:12 pm

Tony Trout wrote:

Paul,

Memphis Press-Scimitar photographer Jim Reid passed away in July 2006, but at least one of his photo books may be found on Amazon:

Elvis..1954-Twenty Three Years Of Photos-1977..Collectors Edition..By Memphis News Photographer Jim Reid. Vol. I
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-1954-Twenty-Photos-1977-Collectors-Edition-By-Memphis-Photographer/dp/B000VHTWOC

Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:14 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony Trout wrote:

Paul,

Memphis Press-Scimitar photographer Jim Reid passed away in July 2006, but at least one of his photo books may be found on Amazon:

Elvis..1954-Twenty Three Years Of Photos-1977..Collectors Edition..By Memphis News Photographer Jim Reid. Vol. I
http://www.amazon.com/Elvis-1954-Twenty-Photos-1977-Collectors-Edition-By-Memphis-Photographer/dp/B000VHTWOC

Thanks, John. :)

Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:02 pm

Excellent topic about an interesting subject. These are shows that HAVE to surface one day, be it through audio or film.

Here are two cool snaps from the evening show - an "upgrade" for one of your opening post shots and an 'alternate' for it from the same camera.
In anycase, hope you enjoy.

610225ev1.jpg

610225ev2.jpg

Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:48 am

onelove wrote:Excellent topic about an interesting subject. These are shows that HAVE to surface one day, be it through audio or film.

Here are two cool snaps from the evening show - an "upgrade" for one of your opening post shots and an 'alternate' for it from the same camera.
In anycase, hope you enjoy.

Thank you! I must admit, after 50+ years, it seems less and less likely an audio of film will ever surface from these performances.

That said, these photos, from the Gary Pepper archive I assume, are marvelous, and I will add them to the first page of the topic.

Thank you muchly, onelove.

::rocks