Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:57 am

I think so, although, a similar audience would probably be left wanting from more recent horror classics and chillers with a certain pedigree, such as Ringu, Audition, Let the Right One or The Orphanage. The language barrier may be an issue in itself, although that's not to discredit the intelligence of any audience. But there's a quaint difference between a horror audience and a mainstream audience, and I think that's what we're discussing here. Because I do see teenagers and younger movie-goers at horror movies and thrillers not designed for the typical multiplex crowd -- still, even a quality English-language thriller like Stoker seemed to go above the heads of many. And that may come from a want of gore, jumps, loud noises and a just modicum of real tension. Which can be fine, although the success of such has come at the expense of better crafted horror cinema.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:00 am

You're both right, guys. I won't tell you my opinion to "It's A Wonderful Life" for that would insult it. I'm fully aware that it's a timeless classic and many, many people love it.

I loved "Stoker" and was thrilled to see it at a preview on the big screen. When I watched it with my cousin and his wife they really couldn't cope with it and my brother said in an rather negative way that he thought the movie was "okay". :facep:

Over the weekend I watched "Pain & Gain" (I thought it was plainly awful although I like Wahlberg and Johnson), "Hours" (brought tears to my eyes because I think Paul Walker gave an excellent performance in an rather mediocre but nonetheless enjoyable movie) and "Monsters" (unusual love story, felt like "Before Sunrise" but not half as intelligent and including aliens - did somebody watch the pilot of "Star Trek - The Next Generation"? ("Encounter At Farpoint") :) :wink: ). Now my final movie for the weekend will be "We Are The Millers".

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:53 am

I didn't like Pain and Gain at all, although I'm a fan of both Dwayne Johnson and Mark Wahlberg. But they were much better than the film -- although I'm no fan of Michael Bay. I was also disappointed in the Muscle & Fitness feature on their training for the film. I liked Monsters, though. It was fairly well-written and quite unique -- but if it was inspired by Star Trek, I would have missed that. I haven't seen We're the Millers, yet. I think it looks Ok.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:56 am

I haven't seen Hours yet, either. I think it looks good and Paul Walker was on the up. He had a lot of potential and was very likeable.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:35 am

greystoke wrote:I haven't seen Hours yet, either. I think it looks good and Paul Walker was on the up. He had a lot of potential and was very likeable.

Yes, Walker was one of those actors who never quite got there despite the Fast and the Furious franchise. And this is a shame, for he was capable of being, as you say, very likeable and also very good. The Skulls, Joyride/Roadkill and F&F should have been the springboard for a fine Hollywood career, but it seemed to stall just as it got going, and he seemed to end up relying on the franchise to keep his name out there while he also worked on a number of films that not many got to see. And yet, it was in his quieter, more reflective roles that he was most effective. "Noel" springs to mind - a film that seemingly divides those who see it between those who loved it and those hated it. But Walker gives one of his best performances in it, and stands out amongst the accomplished and starry ensemble cast. His career seems to have mirrored that of Ryan Phillippe in many ways - a certain for superstardom you would think: same age, good looks and good actor, but never quite getting there. Then a film that would come along to revive the name again (in Phillippe's case, Flags of Our Fathers and The Lincoln Lawyer) but then it would all stall once again.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:37 am

greystoke wrote:I think so, although, a similar audience would probably be left wanting from more recent horror classics and chillers with a certain pedigree, such as Ringu, Audition, Let the Right One or The Orphanage. The language barrier may be an issue in itself, although that's not to discredit the intelligence of any audience. But there's a quaint difference between a horror audience and a mainstream audience, and I think that's what we're discussing here. Because I do see teenagers and younger movie-goers at horror movies and thrillers not designed for the typical multiplex crowd -- still, even a quality English-language thriller like Stoker seemed to go above the heads of many. And that may come from a want of gore, jumps, loud noises and a just modicum of real tension. Which can be fine, although the success of such has come at the expense of better crafted horror cinema.

I would argue that The Woman In Black fits that group of films as well. I took Mum to see that when it came out a year or two back, as we had both seen the play at the theatre. It was the first time Mum had been to the cinema since "Earthquake" in 1974! But, again, the responses from the audience seemed to be rather mixed in the same way you describe.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:43 am

Noel is an unusual, but not an unlikable film, although I found it a bit too fanciful and lacking credulity or the magic required to believe what we see. But there's warmth and good performances there, and I think Walker acquitted himself well here. Penelope Cruz was a tad miscast, but the rest of the ensemble were fine. Robin Williams can be very subtle and quietly effective, as can Susan Sarandon. But I think the performances made this film, because the message struggles to ring true when disbelief sets in. But, again, it's not unlikable.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:07 pm

Thanks for all your evaluations. Although I was never fond of the F&F series I might give them a chance now for sentimental reasons. When you look at Walker's filmography in the past few years it indeed stalled, which is a shame. I might check out "Noel" also and the next Walker flick I'll watch will be "Vehicle 19".

greystoke, I don't want to spoil too much from "Monsters" because some people might want to see it but the ending reminded me very much of the ending for the TNG pilot. That said, I enjoyed the lovely Whitney Able.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:48 pm

I've never been fond of the Fast and Furious films, either, but I thought part five upped the ante of the series quite considerably with the introduction of Dwayne Johnson's character. This created a genuine sense of urgency away from the driving, as a believable adversary was introduced. The sixth film wasn't nearly as good, unfortunately, but I'm actually looking forward to part 7, given Kurt Russell, Tony Jaa and Jason Statham's involvement.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:56 pm

I watched "The Innocents"at the weekend and thought it was a great film,Deborah Kerr was superb in it and love the black and white photography

Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:13 pm

greystoke wrote:I've never been fond of the Fast and Furious films, either, but I thought part five upped the ante of the series quite considerably with the introduction of Dwayne Johnson's character. This created a genuine sense of urgency away from the driving, as a believable adversary was introduced. The sixth film wasn't nearly as good, unfortunately, but I'm actually looking forward to part 7, given Kurt Russell, Tony Jaa and Jason Statham's involvement.

Any news yet how the makers want to finish it? I heard three different versions regarding Paul Walker's scenes:

a) He just started filming during the time of his death
b) He was halfway through filming his scenes
c) He almost finished shooting all of his scenes

Then I heard something they want to use CGI to finish his scenes (just like with Brandon Lee in "The Crow" a. o.).

Well, let's see what happens.

keninlincs wrote:I watched "The Innocents"at the weekend and thought it was a great film,Deborah Kerr was superb in it and love the black and white photography
Deborah was really great and the movie was well done. I enjoyed it.

Not like "The Night Of The Hunter", another classic I watched this year for the very first time. I thought that one was unintentionally funny. Seeing Robert Mitchum in the previously shot "River Of No Return" and then in this weird flick... :facep:

But I might be one of very few people who think Hitchcock's "Rebecca" is boring.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:45 pm

As far as I'm aware, Fast and Furious 7 will go through some rewriting, having had its release date moved back to April 10th, 2015.

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I love Night of the Hunter, incidentally. It's one of my favourite Robert Mitchum films. The blending of horror with fairytale conventions shot in a neo-expressionist style made for a stark movie experience. It's humorous in parts and occasionally shows its age, but I think Mitchum was terrific here, as was Charles Laughton's direction. I'm looking forward to seeing it on the big screen next month, whilst Arrow Film's recent Blu-ray is excellent.

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:13 am

I just streamed Joyeaux Noel, a French-made film about the true Christmas miracle of 1914. It's about the Christmas Truce.

It's not soppy at all, and is a powerful critique of nationalism and war itself. It will bring you joy and break your heart. For this really happened.

War is over *if* you want it: they proved it.

Do watch this ASAP.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:27 am

rjm wrote:I just streamed Joyeaux Noel, a French-made film about the true Christmas miracle of 1914. It's about the Christmas Truce.

It's not soppy at all, and is a powerful critique of nationalism and war itself. It will bring you joy and break your heart. For this really happened.

War is over *if* you want it: they proved it.

Do watch this ASAP.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Joyeux Noel is a good film, rjm. With a poignant and true message for any time of year -- and you're right, it's not soppy, but honest and heartfelt.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:36 am

I rewatched Dans La Maison/In the House tonight. Francois Ozon spent around a decade making films that never disappointed, and then went through a rather mediocre patch before bouncing back with this film from last year. In this slightly disturbing and yet still whimsical tale, a literature teacher at a school finds himself become obsessed with the stories written by one of his pupils about the family life of a classmate. Ozon is in familiar territory here, and there are certainly parallels to be made with Sitcom, his first full-length feature film from back in 1998. That film was a flight of fancy as he tore apart the traditional idea of the model family in a bizarre and often outrageous manner. Dans la Maison does a similar thing, but Ozon is much more restrained here that in the earlier film. While reality and fantasy merge throughout the film, it is at least rooted in reality, unlike Sitcom.

Kristin Scott Thomas is superb here in her best role for years, but the film is stolen by the mesmerising performance of Ernst Umhauer as the 16 year old author of the stories that Thomas and her husband become obsessed with. Strangely, despite winning nominations on the festival circuit for Best Promising Newcomer for his performance, Umhauer seems to have done little film work since. A shame, for his performance here is pitch perfect in a role that could so easily have been overplayed.

Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:47 am

"We're The Millers" - very funny with a couple of more than sexy Jennifer Aniston strip scenes. At some point it runs out of steam but I was well entertained. I'd rate it 6.5 out of 10.

And I just finished watching "Poltergeist" on Blu-ray. One of my favourite movies of all time. Does anybody know why Spielberg didn't direct it? Might have read it in the past but can't recall the reason.

Probably move on watching either "Wrong" (Quentin Dupieux movie) or "All Is Bright" starring Paul Rudd and Paul Giamatti ('tis the season).

I still have so many movies to watch and re-watch I don't even know when to accomplish this - among them are "The Lone Ranger", "Pacific Rim", "Odd Thomas", "Friends With Benefits", "All Good Things", "Hatfields & McCoys" and "The Ten Commandments".

On top of my list are the two Ryûhei Kitamura flicks "The Midnight Meat Train" and "No One Lives" but couldn't locate the uncut versions yet.

Did anybody see the trailer to Stephen Chow's "Journey To The West" yet? Looks freakin' weird. :)

Any recommendations? :wink:

Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:01 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:"We're The Millers" - very funny with a couple of more than sexy Jennifer Aniston strip scenes. At some point it runs out of steam but I was well entertained. I'd rate it 6.5 out of 10.

And I just finished watching "Poltergeist" on Blu-ray. One of my favourite movies of all time. Does anybody know why Spielberg didn't direct it? Might have read it in the past but can't recall the reason.

Probably move on watching either "Wrong" (Quentin Dupieux movie) or "All Is Bright" starring Paul Rudd and Paul Giamatti ('tis the season).

I still have so many movies to watch and re-watch I don't even know when to accomplish this - among them are "The Lone Ranger", "Pacific Rim", "Odd Thomas", "Friends With Benefits", "All Good Things", "Hatfields & McCoys" and "The Ten Commandments".

On top of my list are the two Ryûhei Kitamura flicks "The Midnight Meat Train" and "No One Lives" but couldn't locate the uncut versions yet.

Did anybody see the trailer to Stephen Chow's "Journey To The West" yet? Looks freakin' weird. :)

I haven't seen Journey to the West yet, but it looks good and I like Stephen Chow. It's just a pity he's so quiet these days. I loved The Lone Ranger and Pacific Rim, although The Lone Ranger is messy in places and wobbles in the middle, but the finale is dynamite. I thought Friends With Benefits was just Ok, but I like Timberlake and Mila Kunis, and it's their personalities that saves the day here. Don Jon was similar, but not quite as good, in my opinion. All Good Things is good, and really intriguing for the most part, but I haven't seen Odd Thomas. I didn't love Midnight Meat Train or No One Lives -- I prefer Kitamura's earlier films, namely Azumi and Versus, but there's some good stuff in both.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:06 am

greystoke wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:"We're The Millers" - very funny with a couple of more than sexy Jennifer Aniston strip scenes. At some point it runs out of steam but I was well entertained. I'd rate it 6.5 out of 10.

I haven't seen Journey to the West yet, but it looks good and I like Stephen Chow. It's just a pity he's so quiet these days. I loved The Lone Ranger and Pacific Rim, although The Lone Ranger is messy in places and wobbles in the middle, but the finale is dynamite. I thought Friends With Benefits was just Ok, but I like Timberlake and Mila Kunis, and it's their personalities that saves the day here. Don Jon was similar, but not quite as good, in my opinion. All Good Things is good, and really intriguing for the most part, but I haven't seen Odd Thomas. I didn't love Midnight Meat Train or No One Lives -- I prefer Kitamura's earlier films, namely Azumi and Versus, but there's some good stuff in both.

Thanks greystoke, I loved "Versus" and "Azumi" too.

I watched "Wrong" and thought it was great. Some pretty unusual scenes made this film very unique in my eyes.

Went to the movies twice. The first one was a sneak preview of a german movie ("Nicht mein Tag") which I liked very much. Then I went to see the lastest Ben Stiller installment "The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty" but was very disappointed. A horrible film in my opinion. Possibly only very few might agree.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:40 pm

I saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug for a second time yesterday. It holds up fine on a second viewing, although I saw it in the HFR/48fps this time. I saw The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey in HFR last year, and didn't find it quite so unusual and jarring this time. Although the cinematic sheen of 24fps is lacking, with a window on realism in its place. And whether one loves or loathes this will be a matter of taste. Although it's far from becoming industry standard.

Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Christmas present watching has started in earnest with Premium Rush starring Joseph Gordon Levitt. While I don't ever recall seeing a film about bicycle couriers before, this did seem like we've seen it all before many times, probably because the actual narrative itself is nothing very new. After all, how many times before have we seen a film or read a book where someone or something has to reach a particular destination, and various problems try to prevent that from happening? It's The Wizard of Oz all over again! In the case of Premium Rush, Levitt is a bicycle courier who has to deliver an envelope that a crooked cop will do anything to get his own hands on.

But there are two things that make Premium Rush great entertainment. The first is the direction and pacing of the film, which never lets up in its adrenalin rush from the opening until the credits start to roll nearly ninety minutes later. That Levitt did many of his own stunts (one went wrong, and resulted in 30 stitches) add to the intensity of the film, not least because there are never those moments when you wonder which shots at the actor and which are the stuntman. But it's Levitt that makes the film, injecting character into a role that could so easily have turned into a cardboard cut out action hero role we have seen before. His talent seems to know no boundaries - he even managed to rescue a small portion of the Lady Gaga and the Muppets Christmas special, which was no mean feat.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:38 am

I also returned to the cinema for a second viewing of The Hobbit, it indeed does hold up still and found it well worth the admission price. It has 'almost' hit the standard set by the previous trilogy and gives much hope now for the final part....and oh what a cliffhanger.
I was going to give the Keanu Reeves samurai popcorn muncher 47 RONIN a go but the critics have been universaly mauling it, quite unexpected to find almost everyone, everywhere being so down on a film, apparently it has no saving grace whatsoever! So think I will next see The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, which seems to have had much more positive reviews.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm just home from seeing 47 Ronin, and although I liked it, I didn't love it. But it doesn't deserve the critical mauling it's been getting -- it's flawed, but has some great moments and an enticing premise that hits and misses. I guess your liking of the film will hinge predominantly on the cast, the idea and whether you will allow enough goodwill to overlook far too much exposition, poor pacing, cliches abound and some fair-to-middling CGI. But this is more akin to the Lone Ranger and Pirates of the Caribbean than Kurosawa or Hiroshi Inagaki' s classic film version of the 47 Ronin story. However, it's also hurt by a lack if humour, which wouldn't have gone amiss given how stern the tone remains throughout. There's also a sense of dread that's lacking, whilst excitement never builds to a real frenzy in spite of gargantuan samurai foes, dragons, demons and witches. But the story of a half-breed outcast who lives like a slave and works alongside samurai worked for me, and was supposed to provide a credible reason for the casting of Keanu Reeves in the leading role. And he brings a lot to the role, especially a terrific physical presence and martial arts ability that's a joy to watch -- particularly in a fight scene with the great Hiroyuki Sanada, that was worth the price of admission alone for me. Sanada is well cast and reliable here as the samurai retainer and head of the 47 ronin; and what's appreciable here, is that Reeves, despite his star-billing, is never pushed to the fore. He's a pariah who become respected and part of a band, but isn't there to be first and foremost in every scene. Tadanobu Asano was also well cast as the scheming Lord Kira, whilst Rinko Kikuchi's slinky, wicked witch is an insanely brilliant creation. And I relished in watching actors whom I like so much playing it up broadly with such a colourful and often vibrant spectacle. I wanted more, though; and don't think the end result, despite its flaws and virtues, is entirely robust. But I still liked it and greatly admire Keanu Reeves for sticking with a project that really needed a better director to flourish. Unfortunately, this seems to be tanking in every market, and although it's been well advertised, I haven't seen Reeves promoting a film that's alienating Japanese audiences and holds little interest in the subject matter for western audiences.

Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Like most movies that are so maligned I have usually found, with some exceptions [step forward Battlefield Earth], there to be some quality to them that raise above the poor expectations, by the sound of your review this is among them. A shame that it appears to be a lost opportunity considering it boasted the most amazing trailer I'd seen in quite some time. If nothing after Walter Mitty catches my attention then perhaps I will give it a go at the cinema, thanks Greystoke, your opinion has changed my mind from a 'never' to 'perhaps'.

Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:58 am

Watched "Vehicle 19" starring Paul Walker and I liked it. Nothing special but enjoyable. And finally I watched "Friends With Benefits" starring the lovely Mila Kunis and... J. Timberlake. But it was really entertaining.