Off Topic Messages

Re: The Beatles Bible

Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:55 pm

javilu wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:Thanks John for commenting on the pics.

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19

The URL for that information is:
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/John_Lennon#Quotes

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.

Sintax was changed but the message is the same.

It has nothing to do with syntax.

One should never frame a sentence with quotes and attribute it to a particular person unless that is exactly what they said. That is the job of quotation marks, to make that very important distinction.

And a historical exhibit that fails to follow this very simple rule betrays a laziness or ignorance that certainly impacts how one evaluates the complete display.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

drjohncarpenter wrote:Also, IIRC, John Lennon never said "Without Elvis there would be no Beatles." The famous bandleader's quote, used elsewhere by the people handling the exhibit, was "Before Elvis there was nothing."

There's only one person in the United States we ever wanted to meet ... not that he wanted us. And we met him last night. We can't tell you how we felt. We just idolised him so much. ... You can't imagine what a thrill that was last night. Nothing really affected me until I heard Elvis. If there hadn't been an Elvis, there wouldn't have been the Beatles.

Statement (28 August 1965) after meeting Elvis Presley, as quoted in The Leading Men of MGM (2005) by Jane Ellen Wayne, p. 386; also partly quoted in The Beatles : The Authorized Biography (1968) by Hunter Davies, p. 19

The wiki page proves that neither Lennon quote in that exhibit is correct, further underscoring my concerns about the veracity of their items.

One should never frame a sentence with quotes and attribute it to a particular person unless that is exactly what they said. That is the job of quotation marks, to make that very important distinction.

And a historical exhibit that fails to follow this very simple rule betrays a laziness or ignorance that certainly impacts how one evaluates the complete display.

Then I suggest next time you're in Liverpool skip the exhibit.
Thanks Ken and memphisking, I'm glad you've enjoyed the pics.

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:13 pm

javilu wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:Sintax was changed but the message is the same.

Once an opaque thinker, always an opaque thinker. ;-)

Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:14 pm

javilu wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
javilu wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thank you for the pictures Javilu , I can`t get over to Liverpool myself so I appreciate you sharing your visit with us :) .

Alan.