Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:13 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.


Only ignoring the historical record makes it possible to accept that Presley ever disliked Sun 214. It is a fact that Elvis did not cut a song at Sun for Sam Phillips he did not believe in. Presley is fully invested in the November 1955 Sun session.

That Elvis returns to "When It Rains It Pours" in 1968 proves that his appreciation of the Emerson single remained strong.

Well said Doc.


Thank you!

It should further be noted that none other than Sam Phillips was the first to appreciate Emerson and his song, and knew it would be perfect for Presley. Elvis' 1957 RCA master was cut as a favor to Sam as well, although it did not surface until 1965.

You can give all the "thank yous" you want, and take in all the "thank yous" you want, but you're still wrong.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:18 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Billy (The Kid) Emerson's "When It Rains It Pours" is a fantastic R&B track, and no wonder Elvis was drawn to it...

Elvis was "drawn" to it because he probably thought to himself, "That's terrible! I think I can do much better with that song." And he did.

I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.

Oh, thank you so much for your kind and knowledgeable words of wisdom, sir! You're so kind! Thank you!

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:22 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.


Only ignoring the historical record makes it possible to accept that Presley ever disliked Sun 214. It is a fact that Elvis did not cut a song at Sun for Sam Phillips he did not believe in. Presley is fully invested in the November 1955 Sun session.

That Elvis returns to "When It Rains It Pours" in 1968 proves that his appreciation of the Emerson single remained strong.

Well said Doc.


Thank you!

It should further be noted that none other than Sam Phillips was the first to appreciate Emerson and his song, and knew it would be perfect for Presley. Elvis' 1957 RCA master was cut as a favor to Sam as well, although it did not surface until 1965.

I've always found Scotty's guitar playing a bit messy on the 57 version. The Sun version is great, shame he never finished it. Take 8 of the Sun version is great, because scotty's solo is starting to change a bit, after the comment made by Sam, "don't make it too damn complicated".

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:24 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I agree, Elvis' versions - particularly the '57 cut - tower over Emerson's rather plodding take.


Only ignoring the historical record makes it possible to accept that Presley ever disliked Sun 214. It is a fact that Elvis did not cut a song at Sun for Sam Phillips he did not believe in. Presley is fully invested in the November 1955 Sun session.

That Elvis returns to "When It Rains It Pours" in 1968 proves that his appreciation of the Emerson single remained strong.

Well said Doc.


Thank you!

It should further be noted that none other than Sam Phillips was the first to appreciate Emerson and his song, and knew it would be perfect for Presley. Elvis' 1957 RCA master was cut as a favor to Sam as well, although it did not surface until 1965.

You can give all the "thank yous" you want, and take in all the "thank yous" you want, but you're still wrong.

Go back to sleep.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:34 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Go back to sleep.

:facep: You can lead a horse to water...

Alrighty then. :smt015
Last edited by Blue River on Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:37 pm

Blue River wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Go back to sleep.

:facep: You can lead a horse to water, but...

Alrighty then. :smt015

You have a serious problem with your childish ways...best for you to go and see a shrink...

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:41 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Blue River wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Go back to sleep.

:facep: You can lead a horse to water, but...

Alrighty then. :smt015

You have a serious problem with your childish ways...best for you to go and see a shrink...

But while we're on the subject of sleep, you have to admit that Emerson sounds like he's having a nightmare and moaning in his sleep on "When It Rains It Pours".

C'mon, mysterytrainridesonie, be honest.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:34 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I've always found Scotty's guitar playing a bit messy on the 57 version. The Sun version is great, shame he never finished it. Take 8 of the Sun version is great, because scotty's solo is starting to change a bit, after the comment made by Sam, "don't make it too damn complicated".


Moore's playing on the RCA master sounds great to these ears. But what they were trying for in November 1955 was a lot closer to the spare R&B feel of Billy (The Kid) Emerson's release. Both Sam and Elvis, though, voiced some concern about making sure the arrangement wasn't too close. I agree, a completed take would have been very nice to hear.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:44 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Both Sam and Elvis, though, voiced some concern about making sure the arrangement wasn't too close.

Yes, and Elvis made sure (with ease) that he didn't stoop down to the talentless vocal level of Emerson.

Sam loved Elvis' singing very, very much. At the end of every Elvis SUN recording you can imagine how Sam must've shouted, "Bravo!"

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:30 am

Elvis knew Billy Emerson. And I seriously doubt that he didn't like this record of Emerson's. Sure, when he found "room for improvement," it darn well got improved, but I'd bet good money he liked Emerson's record. Emerson made up songs generally in a bit of an unusual way (though not on this one, I don't think). He would take cheerleading chants, things like that, and work them up into songs. He was an interesting artist, different, and Sam liked "different."

Elvis's is way better, but it's not like Pat Boone's "Tutti Frutti" in reverse, either. It's not that bad at all. It's just not that good - not after you've heard Elvis.

It's okay:

phpBB [video]



rjm

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:04 am

Today is December 3, 2013.

45 years ago ... something special happened.

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:53 am

Very true . Enjoying the whole special right now... ::rocks

Re: Elvis --> Plays It Hot, Behind Closed Doors! (June 1968)

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:16 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Very true . Enjoying the whole special right now... ::rocks


Awesome!!