Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Beatles what's left....

Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:41 pm

realistically what's left for the Beatles to release on cd/dvd/bluray? here some things I thought of from the top of my head.

Most likely ( in no particular order)
1. let it be (dvd/bluray) (of course)- maybe a two disc set ,disc one with the original movie and commentary with Paul and Ringo, disc two stuff from the cutting room floor ,maybe a new extended edit of the movie with more music and less quarreling.
2. Get Back (cd.) a two cd set disc one could feature the original get back mixes before Phil Spector came into the project, and outtakes, unreleased songs etc, disc two could feature the complete rooftop concert and other unreleased songs, jam sessions etc.
3. Beatles reunion cd (Now and then)- featuring brand new remixes of "Free as a bird" and "real Love" using new technology to make them sound better, and of course "now and then" and the Threetles reunion jam sessions from the anthology.
4. Hollywood bowl (cd remixed)
5. shea stadium (cd remixed)
6. Carnival of light- maybe as a bonus song to the "Now and then" cd.
7.Best of hamburg
8. Ed Sullivan performances (cd)
9.Capitol years 3 (cd)

less likely
1. Demos (it seems like this type of release would be a bottom of the barrel release, even though there are some really cool demos from the white album era)
2.the cartoon series (dvd /bluray)one would think it would have been released by now by whomever owns the rights to it, it would be cool to have.
3.rock n roll (there are some cool remixes on here, and this is the ONLY release that I think may be worth re-releasing from the 70's when they were releasing all those cheesy compilations)
4. Rarities (most of which has been released on the mono mixes of the albums on cd)
5. love vol.2 (hhhmmmm but then again it seems like something they may do lol)

Re: Beatles what's left....

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:19 pm

joshferrell wrote:realistically what's left for the Beatles to release on cd/dvd/bluray? here some things I thought of from the top of my head.

1. let it be (dvd/bluray) (of course)- maybe a two disc set ,disc one with the original movie and commentary with Paul and Ringo, disc two stuff from the cutting room floor ,maybe a new extended edit of the movie with more music and less quarreling.
2. Get Back (cd.) a two cd set disc one could feature the original get back mixes before Phil Spector came into the project, and outtakes, unreleased songs etc, disc two could feature the complete rooftop concert and other unreleased songs, jam sessions etc.
3. Beatles reunion cd (Now and then)- featuring brand new remixes of "Free as a bird" and "real Love" using new technology to make them sound better, and of course "now and then" and the Threetles reunion jam sessions from the anthology.
4. Hollywood bowl (cd remixed)
5. shea stadium (cd remixed)
6. Carnival of light- maybe as a bonus song to the "Now and then" cd.
7.Best of hamburg
8. Ed Sullivan performances (cd)
9.Capitol years 3 (cd)

less likely
1. Demos (it seems like this type of release would be a bottom of the barrel release, even though there are some really cool demos from the white album era)
2.the cartoon series (dvd /bluray)one would think it would have been released by now by whomever owns the rights to it, it would be cool to have.
3.rock n roll (there are some cool remixes on here, and this is the ONLY release that I think may be worth re-releasing from the 70's when they were releasing all those cheesy compilations)
4. Rarities (most of which has been released on the mono mixes of the albums on cd)
5. love vol.2 (hhhmmmm but then again it seems like something they may do lol)

Of all the above, a DVD/Blu-ray of "Let It Be" is probably next in line. Most of the rest will never be done by Apple.

Note that all the Sullivan shows are already out on DVD, and the Capital albums were reissued starting about 5 years ago, in two sets.

My hope for future Beatles projects:

- Washington D.C. concert, 2-11-1964, complete, from the original videotape master
- all official Beatles music videos, 1963-1970, remastered and complete
- select studio outtakes without alteration, 1962-1970
- complete May 1968 acoustic demo session for The Beatles, in true stereo
- best selection of private songwriter demos from Lennon, McCartney, Harrison, 1963-1969
- release of 8-27-1965 jam session at Elvis' house

I'm lighting a candle now. ;-)

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
My hope for future Beatles projects:

- release of 8-27-1965 jam session at Elvis' house

You're preachin' the choir son !

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:48 pm

The Washington DC 1964 concert should be released in its entirety on DVD. It's an astonishing document, perhaps better than Shea Stadium, I think.

But there's a lot of stuff to choose from. Just check YouTube.

The 2003 DVD "The First U.S. Visit" was an exemplary release. Anything like that would be welcome. The stuff is out there !

This Swedish TV show from late October 1963, for example, is great. Some of it was used in "Anthology", but here's the complete thing :

phpBB [video]

http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/10/30/television-drop-in-stockholm-sweden/

Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:52 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
This Swedish TV show from late October 1963, for example, is great.

I'm sure members of ABBA got their inspiration from watching these performances as well.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:01 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
This Swedish TV show from late October 1963, for example, is great.

I'm sure members of ABBA got their inspiration from watching these performances as well.

Probably.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:56 pm

joshferrell wrote:realistically what's left for the Beatles to release on cd/dvd/bluray? here some things I thought of from the top of my head.

I can't see Paul and Ringo giving the go ahead for this release. It would have happened by now if they had wanted it released, imo. The original VHS release has been out of print for decades. Both Paul and Ringo have become very protective of the Beatles image and releasing footage with the band arguing would be a no-no. Just my opinion of course, tho.

Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:40 pm

memfisking wrote:

I can't see Paul and Ringo giving the go ahead for this release. It would have happened by now if they had wanted it released, imo. The original VHS release has been out of print for decades. Both Paul and Ringo have become very protective of the Beatles image and releasing footage with the band arguing would be a no-no. Just my opinion of course, tho.

I have heard it is not Paul or Ringo, but the Harrison estate (George's wife & son) that have a problem with releasing it. They feel it showed George being at odds with the group especially that scene where he & Paul go at it over his guitar playing. They do like the way the film portrays him.

Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:13 am

r&b wrote:
memfisking wrote:

I have heard it is not Paul or Ringo, but the Harrison estate (George's wife & son) that have a problem with releasing it. They feel it showed George being at odds with the group especially that scene where he & Paul go at it over his guitar playing. They do like the way the film portrays him.

It's no secret that George was unhappy in the final year(s) of the Beatles, he talked quite openly about this in the Anthology. In fact, a very generous amount of LIB footage was shown in Anthology, so why not just release the film to dvd finally and be done with it?

Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Waiting desperately for it! Bring it on!