Post here your Elvis' pictures

Elvis --> Adios, June!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:21 am

561025_w June Juancio_Memphis.JPG
With June Juanico at 1034 Audubon, Memphis - Thursday, October 25, 1956
June had flown from Biloxi after hearing about the gas station incident on October 18.
She left on the 25th, and when Juanico saw him next, she was married to someone else.
This photo was picked up for a piece on "Elvis girlfriends," on Saturday, June 1, 1957.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Original-Photo-ELVIS-PRESLEY-JUNE-JUANICO-early-girlfriend-/261322457709
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis --> Adios, June!

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:June had flown from Biloxi after hearing about the gas station incident on October 18.
She left on the 25th, and when Juanico saw him next, she was married to someone else.
This photo was picked up for a piece on "Elvis girlfriends," on Saturday, June 1, 1957.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1957-Original-Photo-ELVIS-PRESLEY-JUNE-JUANICO-early-girlfriend-/261322457709

Does this assessment mean that you do not believe that the trip had been planned prior to the gas station incident? She said that she spent the day waiting on the money he was supposed to wire to her, only to find out later that he had used it as bail money. (She was then sent the money, she says.)

I only ask this because Elvis seemed in a peculiar circumstance at the time of the incident: he was intending to pick up Barbara Hearn ("his Memphis girlfriend"), and yet had money in pocket, according to June, intended for another girl (June) to come visit him in Memphis. At that very same moment!

Now, I have always thought both accounts were true, and that's just how he rolled. But the wording above suggests perhaps that some do not believe June? I don't know; I always did, but it is a curious situation.

rjm

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Exectly when did Elvis have that wart removed??!! It's still there in this pic.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Tony.. wrote:Exectly when did Elvis have that wart removed??!! It's still there in this pic.

You should start a new topic on this very important subject.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:11 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:June had flown from Biloxi after hearing about the gas station incident on October 18.

Does this assessment mean that you do not believe that the trip had been planned prior to the gas station incident? She said that she spent the day waiting on the money he was supposed to wire to her, only to find out later that he had used it as bail money. (She was then sent the money, she says.)

I only ask this because Elvis seemed in a peculiar circumstance at the time of the incident: he was intending to pick up Barbara Hearn ("his Memphis girlfriend"), and yet had money in pocket, according to June, intended for another girl (June) to come visit him in Memphis. At that very same moment!

Now, I have always thought both accounts were true, and that's just how he rolled. But the wording above suggests perhaps that some do not believe June? I don't know; I always did, but it is a curious situation.

rjm

Is this story found in June's book?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:

rjm

Is this story found in June's book?

Yes! Definitely. Most definitely. She goes into a lot of detail about her feelings as she waited, and waited . . . not knowing why the money didn't arrive at the Western Union office. Finally he called, saying he had to explain it -- that he'd had some trouble. As I recall that part of the book, she said that she and her friend were so upset and embarrassed that the money didn't come, they got drunk. (I believe that's what she said the response was. She still didn't know what the trouble was.) And then she saw it all in the paper, and the money arrived. And when she got to Memphis, Elvis wasn't there to pick her up, which surprised her; Vernon and Gladys were there instead. They told her they thought it better that way. She said Gladys cried in the car, worried about his safety: "what if some crazy man has a gun?" He told her it was his idea to stay at home, and she didn't buy it at all. So, she teased him about it. Gladys clearly decided he was staying in, and June was most pleased.

Guralnick summarizes this in his own book. Including her account of what it was like in the house, and Elvis throwing darts at the ceiling. I love that part of her book! What she was wrong about on that visit is the Fairgrounds; Red wasn't there -- I don't think that whole thing happened then. I think it happened the previous spring. But the part about her arrival? That seems right on the money. (Excuse the pun.)

I might go back and read it again tonight! (I love that book.)

rjm

Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:07 am

Here's the story:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks very much, DOC.

rlj

Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks all, thanks Doc for the photo, and thanks hilton, for the photocopy. (My memory served me well. {not-modest-smiley})

Now, the only distinction between her and Barbara Hearn is that Elvis told June he was on his way to Western Union, and Barbara said she was waiting on him to pick her up, physically, in his car.

So, believing both, which I do, I guess he told the girls slightly different stories about what he was going to do next. (I suppose after wiring the money, he was going to then pick up Barbara.) Like I said, I guess that's just how he rolled. ;)

rjm (I don't think you judge a young guy on what he did at only just 21. 35, well, maybe you become just a wee bit more judgemental, particularly since he did get married. Just a bit. But if he were alive in the 21st century, I would guess that he would have mellowed long ago, and perhaps made a proper commitment. Sometime in the late 1980s, perhaps. :smt002 )

Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:30 am

rjm wrote:Thanks all, thanks Doc for the photo, and thanks hilton, for the photocopy. (My memory served me well. {not-modest-smiley})

Now, the only distinction between her and Barbara Hearn is that Elvis told June he was on his way to Western Union, and Barbara said she was waiting on him to pick her up, physically, in his car.

So, believing both, which I do, I guess he told the girls slightly different stories about what he was going to do next. (I suppose after wiring the money, he was going to then pick up Barbara.) Like I said, I guess that's just how he rolled. ;)

rjm (I don't think you judge a young guy on what he did at only just 21. 35, well, maybe you become just a wee bit more judgemental, particularly since he did get married. Just a bit. But if he were alive in the 21st century, I would guess that he would have mellowed long ago, and perhaps made a proper commitment. Sometime in the late 1980s, perhaps. :smt002 )

Perhaps so! But, through the years, I've always liked June Juanico and her experience with Elvis. Besides her striking appearance, there are few examples of Presley and his mom and dad spending a bunch of happy, intimate, quality time with a girlfriend. Off the top of my head, it's just Dixie, Barbara, June and Anita.

Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:29 am

Doc-offtopic-I wonder how the Colonel convinced Anita not to go to Germany. If she did maybe Elvis married with her as early as 1960.