Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Re: The Beatles: On Air – Live at the BBC Volume 2

Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:52 pm

I received the set from Amazon yesterday and it is a nice little release. As I noted earlier, they have included 3 songs from the very hard to find "Baby, It's You" EP and "Lend Me Your Comb" from Anthology 1. Sound is excellent throughout. Several of the songs I have on the Purple Chick release sound better here on the official release, such as Words of Love and Anna. The recording of "I'm Talking About You" is also upgraded. Have not had a chance to listen to disc 2 yet but hope to do so tonight.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:59 pm

Mike C wrote:I received the set from Amazon yesterday and it is a nice little release. As I noted earlier, they have included 3 songs from the very hard to find "Baby, It's You" EP and "Lend Me Your Comb" from Anthology 1. Sound is excellent throughout. Several of the songs I have on the Purple Chick release sound better here on the official release, such as Words of Love and Anna. The recording of "I'm Talking About You" is also upgraded. Have not had a chance to listen to disc 2 yet but hope to do so tonight.

Please let us know if John drops any F-bombs.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike C wrote:I received the set from Amazon yesterday and it is a nice little release. As I noted earlier, they have included 3 songs from the very hard to find "Baby, It's You" EP and "Lend Me Your Comb" from Anthology 1. Sound is excellent throughout. Several of the songs I have on the Purple Chick release sound better here on the official release, such as Words of Love and Anna. The recording of "I'm Talking About You" is also upgraded. Have not had a chance to listen to disc 2 yet but hope to do so tonight.

Please let us know if John drops any F-bombs.

Lucille!!!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:02 pm

I read somewhere that the version of "Devil In Her Heart" is not the same as the one from the EP.

Those long interviews at the end of each CD, are they from BBC broadcasts, too ? Are they "serious" interviews, or do they follow the same pattern as the small spoken bits ? :wink:

Thanks !

Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:15 pm

Mister Moon wrote:

I read somewhere that the version of "Devil In Her Heart" is not the same as the one from the EP.

Those long interviews at the end of each CD, are they from BBC broadcasts, too ? Are they "serious" interviews, or do they follow the same pattern as the small spoken bits ? :wink:

Thanks !

For "Devil In Her Heart", I will have to listen to the take again and compare it with the version put out on the EP. I will also double check the liner notes to see if they explain the discrepancy. I'll let you know. Where did you read of this change?

The long interviews are rather serious and come from interviews made with the BBC in late 1965 and the spring of 1966.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Mike C wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:

Thanks !

For "Devil In Her Heart", I will have to listen to the take again and compare it with the version put out on the EP. I will also double check the liner notes to see if they explain the discrepancy. I'll let you know. Where did you read of this change?

The long interviews are rather serious and come from interviews made with the BBC in late 1965 and the spring of 1966.

I have read a few Amazon (both US and UK) reviews, and one of them mentioned this detail. It looks like they performed this song more than once at the BBC.

Thanks for the information about the interviews.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:06 pm

Just got both albums. Re Devil In Her Heart. I checked the info on the EP and the On Air album. The version On Air was recorded on 3 September 1963 and the version on the EP is from 16 July 1963. So far listened few tracks from the CD 1. Sounds good. Lucille is awesome!

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Mike C wrote:For "Devil In Her Heart", I will have to listen to the take again and compare it with the version put out on the EP. I will also double check the liner notes to see if they explain the discrepancy. I'll let you know. Where did you read of this change?

I have read a few Amazon (both US and UK) reviews, and one of them mentioned this detail. It looks like they performed this song more than once at the BBC.

The Fabs did two recordings for the BBC's "Pop Goes The Beatles" program:

July 16, 1963 - issued on Baby It's You EP (1995)
September 3, 1963

See more (a lot more) here:
"Devil In Her Heart" by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of the Beatles
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/devil-in-her-heart

Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:43 pm

Just played CD 1. It's great. For the most part the SQ is excellent. Lot of great performances from the Fab Four. Love specially Talking About You and Please Please Me. Beautiful Dreamer has probably the weakest SQ but very nice to get this very rare performance finally officially released. The interviews are interesting also. Never heard them before and they give us a glimpse of how John and George were living at the time.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:09 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Mike C wrote:For "Devil In Her Heart", I will have to listen to the take again and compare it with the version put out on the EP. I will also double check the liner notes to see if they explain the discrepancy. I'll let you know. Where did you read of this change?

The Fabs did two recordings for the BBC's "Pop Goes The Beatles" program:

July 16, 1963 - issued on Baby It's You EP (1995)
September 3, 1963

See more (a lot more) here:
"Devil In Her Heart" by The Beatles. The in-depth story behind the songs of the Beatles
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/devil-in-her-heart

Interestingly the booklet of On Air has wrong info about the recording date of the version on the Baby It's You EP. They claim the EP version was recorded on August 20, 1963 but that's not correct. It was recorded on 16 July and broadcasted on 20 August 1963. That's also the info given on the cover of the EP.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Thanks Mike C and Marko for your first impressions and information on the CDs, and Doc for that interesting, exhaustive link.

Although I got Vol. 1 when it came out, I will probably get both volumes one of these days, as it looks like Vol. 1 has been improved in sound quality and package.

However, it's odd, as I read in some review, that they chose to include yet another version of "Till There Was You", and have omitted some tracks featuring Pete Best, or underrated tracks like "I Call Your Name" or "I Should Have Known Better", which are not included in neither of the two volumes.

Maybe in ten years time they will put out Vol. 3.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Mister Moon wrote:Thanks Mike C and Marko for your first impressions and information on the CDs, and Doc for that interesting, exhaustive link.

Although I got Vol. 1 when it came out, I will probably get both volumes one of these days, as it looks like Vol. 1 has been improved in sound quality and package.

However, it's odd, as I read in some review, that they chose to include yet another version of "Till There Was You", and have omitted some tracks featuring Pete Best, or underrated tracks like "I Call Your Name" or "I Should Have Known Better", which are not included in neither of the two volumes.

I sampled few tracks on the first Volume and can say that the SQ has clearly been improved.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Marko wrote:Just got both albums. Re Devil In Her Heart. I checked the info on the EP and the On Air album. The version On Air was recorded on 3 September 1963 and the version on the EP is from 16 July 1963. So far listened few tracks from the CD 1. Sounds good. Lucille is awesome!

Perhaps, they used the second version of "Devil in Her Heart" as it was sonically better. SQ of disc 2 is also very good.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:29 pm

Marko wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:Thanks Mike C and Marko for your first impressions and information on the CDs, and Doc for that interesting, exhaustive link.

I sampled few tracks on the first Volume and can say that the SQ has clearly been improved.

Thanks, Marko.

Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:07 pm

Please, do check this interesting post by The Pirate in another Beatles thread :

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79998&p=1229326#p1229326

Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:44 am

I am waiting for the Best Buy version to arrive.
Can't wait!