burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Google's New Security Features

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:29 am

Right now, Internet privacy is a hot button issue if there ever was one, and Google is seen more as a Peeping Tom than as a company offering you any kind of assistance. So, I actually clicked their "new terms of service" and found something pretty useful, and user-oriented.

I have two Google accounts: one as a content "producer" on Blogger and YouTube, and the other as a "cool-media" entertainment consumer. Which I just want to sit back and watch, I am on my consumer account, and it's also what I use to buy phone apps, and Google entertainment. That's my main one one now; I use the other one just to update new content I have created. (On YouTube they want to merge everything, but I do not wish that. I am sometimes just a consumer of entertainment, and my content production is a separate thing, and I wish to keep it separate. When I'm snuggled up with my BIG SMART TV late at night in my bedroom, the "person" who writes that blog and makes those videos is just not part of my "self." I watch "her" work; that's all.)

So, when I sign in and out, I do like to know if anyone, anywhere might be grabbing my password to sign in as me: you know, identity theft, which does happen. I don't worry about it much, but from what I just found, Google does. I rather like that, because they've made it easy to keep track.

They have a tracking system within the Google ecosphere that catches any unusual log-in activity. Now, it might be YOU at a friend's house, or IT MIGHT NOT BE! And Google now has an easy warning system to check back with you, to let you know. And it asks you if this was you, or not. If not, you need to change your password(s) and some settings. (Another good idea is to use an "Identity Safe" such as Norton's, or another one. This keeps you signed in to ALL your social and shopping accounts with a DIFFERENT PASSWORD FOR EVERY ACCOUNT, and it keeps them logged and protected so you can't lose them. You do not have to write them down on a piece of paper which could get lost. Its a little work to change all your passwords, but if you ever encounter a problem, think about doing it. I had a problem with Twitter once, where I felt I had been cracked by a spammer, and I changed the pass, but it really should be a regular practice.)

Here's the warning system, if you sign in to Google. I do, and I find it useful. (I also go into my Google settings, and try to keep them out of my business as much as possible. I activated Google Now to learn about it, and deactivated it an hour later. It gave great insight into the settings under the hood, and how to control them.)

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/1144110?hl=en

It gives a strange, but in this world, possible scenario of a a fictional California resident either cracked by a professional password-cracker in Tel Aviv, Israel: OR Google's fictional California resident actually was there, on vacation, and signed into their account from a home or hotel, through a different ISP (the hotel's, or the people putting them up at their house). One can click the option that applies, and protect one's identity. This is great if you travel.

This applies almost exclusively to WiFi, I would think. On mobile, you are using the 4G towers, no matter where you are. (Speeds are so much faster elsewhere in the world, than in the States, so a lot of people really like 4G when out of this country. I'd love to see my mobile devices blaze like that! Some day.)

Get familiar with this; it might come in handy for your protection one of these days. At any rate, you get to look under Google's hood, and look at your personal settings. Hope this helps someone avoid a future problem.

rjm

Re: Google's New Security Features

Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:02 pm

UPDATE: After getting a number of creepy emails from an "Anonymous" affiliated group, implying I had signed up to a Facebook event that I didn't even know about, Yahoo locked my email! Forced me to dream up a completely new pass, which I didn't want to do, but I had to. My account was locked. I couldn't get in.

After I changed it, being careful that it was really Yahoo, my mail worked.

They would not accept a similar password to any from the past.

If this happens to you, make sure you carefully check the web address, and that it really is your own webmail provider. And that you weren't locked out by a hacker. I believe I was very careful. Knock on wood.

Those emails did stop. So, that had to be the "unusual activity."

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:05 am

Thank you, rjm, very kind of you :D

Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:31 pm

rjm wrote:UPDATE: After getting a number of creepy emails from an "Anonymous" affiliated group, implying I had signed up to a Facebook event that I didn't even know about, Yahoo locked my email! Forced me to dream up a completely new pass, which I didn't want to do, but I had to. My account was locked. I couldn't get in.

After I changed it, being careful that it was really Yahoo, my mail worked.

They would not accept a similar password to any from the past.

If this happens to you, make sure you carefully check the web address, and that it really is your own webmail provider. And that you weren't locked out by a hacker. I believe I was very careful. Knock on wood.

Those emails did stop. So, that had to be the "unusual activity."

rjm

So you think you're slick ....I'll get you next time! :smt024

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:43 pm

Wearing a Guy Fowlkes mask? ;) (Good one!)

(It's 6:40; what am I doing awake? Oh yeah, checking the stocks: need to sell some -- make some money! )

Thanks. See you all in a little while.

rjm