Off Topic Messages

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:35 am

Last edited by SUN-RCA on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: JFK ~ 11/22/63 ~ where were you that day

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:46 am

I was with Javilu in Liverpool, tying Ringo Star's shoelaces.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:50 am

SUN-RCA wrote:I was 2 years old, and i actually remember this day vividly, even tho it was only minutes, but none the less, i still remember it. I was sitting in the front seat of my dad's car in the drivers seat playing with the staring wheel, pretending to drive while my dad was working on the car under the front hood. The radio was on and all of a sudden i heard the news interrupt the music, i of course really did not know what was happening, i just remember the words that President Kennedy had been shot.

Then all of a sudden my dad comes running around from under the hood and stuck his head into the drivers side window, and the look on his face is something i'll never forget, sheer shock, and his eyes were as wide open as could be, he then opened the drivers side door and i moved over a little as he sat sitting there next to me. I sat there just staring at my dads face while the news was going on, i remember feeling that i have never seen my dad look this way, because he was always happy and laughing and smiling, i remember feeling scared because of this look on his face.

I remember what he said as we sat there, he kept saying quietly oh my god oh my god President Kennedy has been shot, our President has been shot. We just kept sitting there, as i watched my dad starring at the radio, and then i would look at the radio, and then back at him. I remember putting my arms around him just laying against him and looking up at him, and he had his arm around me just holding me gently, as i was just staying quiet while we sat there, i never said a word, i just stayed very quiet looking at my dad, and that's all i remember, but i have never forgotten it. My dad and i have talked about that time in the car many times over the years. This was a kinda special bond we shared at that moment in time, a tragic bond we shared together, and we have never forgotten that day. :(

Thank you for sharing that moment with your dad.

No doubt millions of all ages, in the U.S. and around the world, had a similar experience when hearing the news of the murder in Dallas. The world has not been the same since.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:52 am

Your welcome Doc. :wink:

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:56 am

What a lovely son you were to your dad, Sun-RCA.

I wasn't even thought of :D

Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:19 am

Wow, pretty amazing that someone has such memory recall of an event that took place when they were two!

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:08 pm

That's a beautiful, if sad story. But it shows the bond you had with your dad. Thank you very much.

I also can remember back to age two, but I was older than you in 1963. Not very much, but some. I am younger than Caroline, older than John, Jr. Right in between 'em.

My early memories of the moment are more chaotic. Your memory is actually warm, in its way.

I was supposed to be taking an afternoon nap, but I was watching a game show . . . (I recently found out which one, but need to look it up again. It was not "To Tell the Truth," as I had always thought. I think maybe "What's My Line." Have to check.)

And unbeknownst to me, my dad called from the NYC Cotton Exchange where he was fixing one of the ticker-tape machines. So he saw it immediately, and the call came home before the TV broke into my show.

My mom opened the front door, I later found out, and told the nearest ladies in the neighborhood. It spread like wilfire. This was on Long Island. Many Irish Catholics! So, the first thing I heard was a high-pitched wailing sound from my bedroom window. It must have been open for the nap I wasn't taking.
I remember hopping out of bed toward the window to hear it better. Scary, weird sound.

As I stood there, the TV news broke in to the game show.

After that, it was days and days of frightening images that now blur together. I recall being frightened by a mass in Latin, begging for the TV to be turned off, and my dad trying to lighten the mood. Things like that. I still have the crayon marks in my mom's many Kennedy books from the months that followed.

I can't say that I totally understood what had happened, but that it was about death - and violence. And I started thinking about death that young, and asking questions about death. I started worrying about dying. I guess it was traumatic, even if most of the the memories blur now.

Little kids shouldn't have their own TVs. I know that now. Very scary.

Thanks for sharing this important moment in your life, SUN-RCA. Much appreciated.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4
Last edited by rjm on Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Hugs to you rjm and Sun-RCA, so sorry about how you all felt that day.

Thank you for sharing, rjm.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:50 pm

I wasn't born back then but I remember vividly that my mother had a memorial plaque at the wall in our living room with JFK,his brother and Dr.King on it. And even at a very young age I was asking her who these people were. I can still remember her answer to this day. She told me he was the president of America, a very good man who had been murdered by bad people. And that the world would have been more peacefull if he would have been around longer. Even at that age that had a big impact on me, because we're going to the height of the cold war back then (end of the 70s going into the 80s). She also told me her mother even cried when it happened. That surprised me a lot, because why would my grandma cry for the death of a man so far away (we're living in The Netherlands).

It did make me realize the importance of the man and the dreadfull event (and I also think it made me curious about the USA and all that went on over there). Years later, as an adolescent and intrigued by JFK and 11-22-63 I was shocked to see the Zapruder film for the first time. Very shocked......

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:57 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:I was 2 years old.....

Very nice post.

I was almost two when this happened and do not remember it. However, it always touches me when I see old news reels of people finding out about the assassination. The look on their faces tells the story.

Thank you for sharing yours.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm

Thanks for sharing the memories, folks. Always interesting to hear recollections of a very sad day in our history. It would be nine more months before I'd see this world, so I can't offer anything in the way of my own personal memories. My parents talked about it often while I was growing up, though.