Off Topic Messages

Some perspective.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:18 am

Surfing some news sites...Here are some examples of various channels head news...CNN: Hayian (mega storm), trail of destruction in the Philippines. Euronews, Irans nuclear deal, BBC News same as CNN, Fox News Obamacare...prioritys...prioritys.

Re: Some perspective.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:37 am

Scarre wrote:Surfing some news sites...Here are some examples of various channels head news...CNN: Hayian (mega storm), trail of destruction in the Philippines. Euronews, Irans nuclear deal, BBC News same as CNN, Fox News Obamacare...prioritys...prioritys.


Was there anything about an On Tour box set?

Re: Some perspective.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:23 am

Please, do try to stay on topic, thank you.

Re: Some perspective.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:31 am

Scarre wrote:Please, do try to stay on topic, thank you.


While surfing some news sites ... was there anything about an On Tour box set?

Re: Some perspective.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:19 am

Ah...but of course...It is, perhaps, too much for you to grasp. Here is a hint: CNN, Euronews, BBC, Fox news...See? No? Okey, well, it´s not FECC news, EIN news or Elvisnews. Now you see? :D
Have fun!

Re: Some perspective.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:43 pm

There are now over 10000 dead in the Philippines...and sadly that is not the final numbers. Perspectives...now you see it or do you still wonder about EOT...? Shame, shame on you I say.

Re: Some perspective.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:45 pm

What point are you trying to make? At any one time - pick a day, any day you like since July 1954 - there will be things going on that are way more important than any topic of conversation to do with Elvis Presley. But I didn't notice you having a problem with that when, for example, you joined in a discussion about the song Sand Castles back in September.

It's possible to be sympathetic to things happening elsewhere, and still have an interest in the little stuff. Or are you just trying to start an argument for the sake of it?

Re: Some perspective.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:21 pm

The Pirate wrote:What point are you trying to make? At any one time - pick a day, any day you like since July 1954 - there will be things going on that are way more important than any topic of conversation to do with Elvis Presley. But I didn't notice you having a problem with that when, for example, you joined in a discussion about the song Sand Castles back in September.

It's possible to be sympathetic to things happening elsewhere, and still have an interest in the little stuff. Or are you just trying to start an argument for the sake of it?


Spot-on. :D

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:34 am

The Pirate wrote:What point are you trying to make? At any one time - pick a day, any day you like since July 1954 - there will be things going on that are way more important than any topic of conversation to do with Elvis Presley. But I didn't notice you having a problem with that when, for example, you joined in a discussion about the song Sand Castles back in September.

It's possible to be sympathetic to things happening elsewhere, and still have an interest in the little stuff. Or are you just trying to start an argument for the sake of it?


...."things going on that are more important"...
This topic was and still is, read carefully, about perspectives. A serious topic. A topic about the sad things that was about to happen. A reminder about perspectives. Not to joke around about EOT with. And what does SC have to do with this? That was just another topic about EP and his music. This is about people. Argument? Are you for real? Please leave this thread and go back to the SC thread.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:47 pm

Scarre wrote:
The Pirate wrote:What point are you trying to make? At any one time - pick a day, any day you like since July 1954 - there will be things going on that are way more important than any topic of conversation to do with Elvis Presley. But I didn't notice you having a problem with that when, for example, you joined in a discussion about the song Sand Castles back in September.

It's possible to be sympathetic to things happening elsewhere, and still have an interest in the little stuff. Or are you just trying to start an argument for the sake of it?


...."things going on that are more important"...
This topic was and still is, read carefully, about perspectives. A serious topic. A topic about the sad things that was about to happen. A reminder about perspectives. Not to joke around about EOT with. And what does SC have to do with this? That was just another topic about EP and his music. This is about people. Argument? Are you for real? Please leave this thread and go back to the SC thread.

So I'm asking you again - what point are you trying to make? Indulge me, explain it in a bit more detail.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:48 pm

CNN, Euronews, BBC where covering the destruction in Philippines or Irans nuclear deal. What did Fox do? Making politics about Obamacare...Prioritys.
Like I said earlier, now over 10000 people dead. Millions homeless.
To go OT and trying to be funny about EOT in this thread is just rude. There are thousands upon thousands EP threads. This is not one of them. Everybody else here seems to have understood that...

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:14 pm

When I go to the Fox News page, the headline is about the Philippines... Even If it wasn't, I don't see what the problem is. This isn't 1973. it's not even 1983, it's 2013 and you have the option of a thousand and one places to get your news. If you don't like what one source is saying, pick another. Like I said, you're just looking for an argument.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:26 pm

When this thread started it was not. When looking at your posts in this thread one can see who is the one looking for an argument. Now, stay on topic or stay away, thank you.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:25 pm

We get it. You hate Fox news, conservatives and probably Americans in general. Cool.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:52 pm

rocknroll wrote:We get it. You hate Fox news, conservatives and probably Americans in general. Cool.

If thats what "you get" then you are totally of track, no surprise there. This place is sometimes unbelieveble.

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm

Scarre wrote:
rocknroll wrote:We get it. You hate Fox news, conservatives and probably Americans in general. Cool.

If thats what "you get" then you are totally of track, no surprise there. This place is sometimes unbelieveble.


I do agree with you about Fox "News" -- but they are well-known to be a toady of right-wing interests. So to read of their focus in recent days is not a surprise at all.

It was an absolute joy, however, to see their hysterical coverage on election night just one year ago, on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.


phpBB [video]

Fox News Hysterical Reaction Over Obama Re-Election - 11/6/12


BONUS CLIP:
Daily Show: Karl Rove disputes Fox News' Ohio electoral math, Megyn Kelly goes for a stroll, and Bill O'Reilly pronounces the election a victory for people who want stuff.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-7-2012/post-democalypse-2012---america-takes-a-shower---karl-rove-s-math

Re: Some perspective.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:10 pm

There was quite a furore on twitter on the day of the Boston marathon bombing. Owen Jones, a political commentator for a UK newspaper, tweeted his sympathy for the victims of the bombing and then posted a tweet a few minutes later giving his sympathy for those killed on the same day in a car bomb attack in Baghdad. He was attacked by many for being insensitive to the people of America by commenting on the Iraq bombings. His argument was that, in both cases, the victims were innocents with families, friends etc who would mourn them. A life is a life.

But we see this all the time on the news. A hurricane such as that which hit America last year will get huge coverage in the UK, but an earthquake which kills a couple of hundred in Pakistan will get a few minutes halfway into the news bulletin. The Philippines situation this week is of such a magnitude that it has to be headline news, but it's the exception not the rule. in the vast majority of cases, western lives lost are far more important than other lives lost when it comes to the news. And we accept this and don't even question it any more. For the most part, the various UK news channels agree on headline news stories, but one still should wonder who makes the judgement call and why (viewing figures).

Re: Some perspective.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:02 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
I do agree with you about Fox "News" -- but they are well-known to be a toady of right-wing interests. So to read of their focus in recent days is not a surprise at all.

It was an absolute joy, however, to see their hysterical coverage on election night just one year ago, on Tuesday, November 6, 2012.


phpBB [video]

Fox News Hysterical Reaction Over Obama Re-Election - 11/6/12


BONUS CLIP:
Daily Show: Karl Rove disputes Fox News' Ohio electoral math, Megyn Kelly goes for a stroll, and Bill O'Reilly pronounces the election a victory for people who want stuff.
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-november-7-2012/post-democalypse-2012---america-takes-a-shower---karl-rove-s-math


That was funny :D

Re: Some perspective.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:05 am

poormadpeter wrote:There was quite a furore on twitter on the day of the Boston marathon bombing. Owen Jones, a political commentator for a UK newspaper, tweeted his sympathy for the victims of the bombing and then posted a tweet a few minutes later giving his sympathy for those killed on the same day in a car bomb attack in Baghdad. He was attacked by many for being insensitive to the people of America by commenting on the Iraq bombings. His argument was that, in both cases, the victims were innocents with families, friends etc who would mourn them. A life is a life.

But we see this all the time on the news. A hurricane such as that which hit America last year will get huge coverage in the UK, but an earthquake which kills a couple of hundred in Pakistan will get a few minutes halfway into the news bulletin. The Philippines situation this week is of such a magnitude that it has to be headline news, but it's the exception not the rule. in the vast majority of cases, western lives lost are far more important than other lives lost when it comes to the news. And we accept this and don't even question it any more. For the most part, the various UK news channels agree on headline news stories, but one still should wonder who makes the judgement call and why (viewing figures).


I agree. Perhaps it is because "we" feel more close to the western world...? More at home, so to speak.

Re: Some perspective.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 am

Scarre wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:There was quite a furore on twitter on the day of the Boston marathon bombing. Owen Jones, a political commentator for a UK newspaper, tweeted his sympathy for the victims of the bombing and then posted a tweet a few minutes later giving his sympathy for those killed on the same day in a car bomb attack in Baghdad. He was attacked by many for being insensitive to the people of America by commenting on the Iraq bombings. His argument was that, in both cases, the victims were innocents with families, friends etc who would mourn them. A life is a life.

But we see this all the time on the news. A hurricane such as that which hit America last year will get huge coverage in the UK, but an earthquake which kills a couple of hundred in Pakistan will get a few minutes halfway into the news bulletin. The Philippines situation this week is of such a magnitude that it has to be headline news, but it's the exception not the rule. in the vast majority of cases, western lives lost are far more important than other lives lost when it comes to the news. And we accept this and don't even question it any more. For the most part, the various UK news channels agree on headline news stories, but one still should wonder who makes the judgement call and why (viewing figures).


I agree. Perhaps it is because "we" feel more close to the western world...? More at home, so to speak.


I've studied media for 8 years and am still not fully sure. It makes more sense with American media because of the political affiliations etc, and the same with UK newspapers, but it shouldn't really happen with ITN or the BBC. I think it is what you say, but whether that's how it should be is another thing altogether.