Post here your Elvis' pictures

The final touch...?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Found this shot from the Memphis July 5 show from FB: possibly the last time Sonny was photographed with Elvis? Anyhow, in light of what was to transpire within a week, a sad photo...

memphis.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The final touch...?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 pm

thanks for this great picture

Re: The final touch...?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:28 pm

Scott Hayward wrote:Found this shot from the Memphis July 5 show from FB: possibly the last time Sonny was photographed with Elvis? Anyhow, in light of what was to transpire within a week, a sad photo...

760705_Memphis.jpg


Even sadder is looking at Presley in that photo, taken almost exactly 22 years after he cut "That's All Right" just a few miles away from the Mid-South Coliseum.

Elvis, what happened?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:01 am

What happened? He grew older, depression came more frequently and deeper, he became an addict to precribed medication which caused a rapid physical deterioration as well as a deterioration of his abilities as a performer. I thought you knew all that.

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 am

Mister Mike wrote:What happened? He grew older, depression came more frequently and deeper, he became an addict to precribed medication which caused a rapid physical deterioration as well as a deterioration of his abilities as a performer. I thought you knew all that.


You are supposed to start such replies with *SPOILER ALERT* ...

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:09 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:What happened? He grew older, depression came more frequently and deeper, he became an addict to precribed medication which caused a rapid physical deterioration as well as a deterioration of his abilities as a performer. I thought you knew all that.


You are supposed to start such replies with *SPOILER ALERT* ...

Whoops! Sorry, I forgot... :wink:

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Sonny drove Elvis home that night after the show.

"Happy Birthday, Sonny" was the last thing Elvis ever said to him as he got out of the car.

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm

When you say something happened within a week, are you referring to release of the Mafia book?

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:16 pm

WMarkJ wrote:When you say something happened within a week, are you referring to release of the Mafia book?

No, I'm referring to the fact that Sonny, Red and Dave H were unceremoniously let go by Vernon a week later...

Re: The final touch...?

Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Is it known when the notion of getting rid of the guys was first brought up and how was it instigated? From Elvis? From Vernon, a combination of the two? Did the idea to get rid of Red, Sony et al happen in the days after this tour or was it something Elvis had been mulling over for a while?

Re: The final touch...?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:29 am

Rob wrote:Sonny drove Elvis home that night after the show.

"Happy Birthday, Sonny" was the last thing Elvis ever said to him as he got out of the car.


Sad. Delbert "Sonny" West turned 38 years old that day.

Re: The final touch...?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:39 am

elmonstro wrote:Is it known when the notion of getting rid of the guys was first brought up and how was it instigated? From Elvis? From Vernon, a combination of the two? Did the idea to get rid of Red, Sony et al happen in the days after this tour or was it something Elvis had been mulling over for a while?


All evidence indicates Elvis had been mulling this move for a while, and at the heart of their dismissal was Red and Sonny's increasing comments about his drug usage.