Here you can discuss other musicians and CD reissues etc

Forever's much too long

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:45 am

Darren Spears was an aspiring contemporary rockabilly singer. In 1993 he and the rest of 'Go Cat Go' were on the brink of turning professional.

That didn't happen. Tragically Darren was shot and died. Those who are interested can find more here:
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/GoCatGo1.html

Darren's voice whilst undeniably Elvis inspired, had a beautiful individual resonance that also can not be denied.
Here are two of his best self penned tracks. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Re: Forever's much too long

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:26 am

mike edwards66 wrote:Darren Spears was an aspiring contemporary rockabilly singer. In 1993 he and the rest of 'Go Cat Go' were on the brink of turning professional.

That didn't happen. Tragically Darren was shot and died. Those who are interested can find more here:
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/GoCatGo1.html

Darren's voice whilst undeniably Elvis inspired, had a beautiful individual resonance that also can not be denied.
Here are two of his best self penned tracks. Enjoy.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Not sure what you mean by "on the brink" -- these recordings are delightful, extremely well-recorded and made with care.

It seems Spears was definitely early-Elvis inspired, but there's also a lot of Blasters in his sound -- reverence without being reverential.

930915_Darren Spears_Joyner.jpg

phpBB [video]

Go Cat Go "Good Rockin' Tonight"
About: A lot of people have asked me for other videos of my uncle Darren. Well here's a hit from the show they did just two short months before he was killed. Performed at The Palomino Club, Los Angeles, CA July 20, 1993. Hope you enjoy! - Brian Spears

Go Cat Go sound like a heck of a band. It is a shame Darren's life was cut short.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:20 pm

Sounds a lot like Bob Luman in late 50s.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYsbwm0zbI8

:smt006

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Not sure what you mean by "on the brink" -- these recordings are delightful, extremely well-recorded and made with care.

Glad you liked them. By 'on the brink' I meant they were about to quit their jobs and turn their attentions full time to recording and touring.

drjohncarpenter wrote:It seems Spears was definitely early-Elvis inspired, but there's also a lot of Blasters in his sound -- reverence without being reverential.

Well put.

svallen wrote:Sounds a lot like Bob Luman in late 50s.

Thanks svallen, he does have a sound of Bob Luman.

Thanks to you mentioning him, I will now be humming this for the rest of the day '........Cathy's Clown has Don and Phil where they feel like a they could a die......'
phpBB [video]

Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:48 am

I really like Go cat Go and have been searching for that cd for years......

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=56894

still interessted :wink: