Off Topic Messages

This Is Tom Jones

Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:52 pm

Was this show from Tom before or after the Special from Elvis in 1968?

phpBB [video]

Re: This Is Tom Jones

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:39 pm

Winston wrote:Was this show from Tom before or after the Special from Elvis in 1968?

phpBB [video]

Great cover choice by Mr. Jones.

"Treat Her Right"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treat_Her_Right_(song)

Taped in England, it came after the 12-03-1968 NBC-TV "Singer Presents Elvis" special, broadcast by ABC-TV in the U.S. on 2-14-1969.

But I betcha Elvis watched that Friday evening.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0721310/
http://ctva.biz/UK/ITC/ThisIsTomJones.htm
http://www.tv.com/shows/this-is-tom-jones/february-14-1969-175043/

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:48 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:But I betcha Elvis watched that Friday evening.

Damn right he did.

And then on the Monday he went back to American and laid down this mother ...

phpBB [video]

Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:59 pm

George Smith wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:But I betcha Elvis watched that Friday evening.

Damn right he did.

And then on the Monday he went back to American and laid down this mother ...

phpBB [video]

Great connection, and so typical of your keen abilities to spot the artistic process of Elvis Presley. Anyone who thinks Tom Jones didn't push Elvis is dead wrong. And it's great that he did.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:37 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: Great connection, and so typical of your keen abilities to spot the artistic process of Elvis Presley. Anyone who thinks Tom Jones didn't push Elvis is dead wrong. And it's great that he did.

Correct. It kinda got lost in the mire, but I said something similar on here before:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79254&p=1215076&hilit=chicken+the+egg#p1215076

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:10 am

That clip always makes me smile. Some crazy dancing. Very entertaining.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:57 am

mike edwards66 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Great connection, and so typical of your keen abilities to spot the artistic process of Elvis Presley. Anyone who thinks Tom Jones didn't push Elvis is dead wrong. And it's great that he did.

Correct. It kinda got lost in the mire, but I said something similar on here before:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=79254&p=1215076&hilit=chicken+the+egg#p1215076

Elvis knew what Tom was up to -- and he loved him.

Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks for the answer and info.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:55 am

Winston wrote:Thanks for the answer and info.

You're welcome. Now that you know the dates, may I ask why you were curious in the first place?

Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Wonder how many of those women were "plants" at the front of the stage? :lol: By plants I mean...hired by Tom Jones managers to go gaga over Tom. Colonel Parker did it, as did Brian Epstein.

Not really.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:01 am

Fairchild1171 wrote:Yes, really....when both acts first started out...there was a little bit of hype going on....still to this day...same thing with that bieber kid.

Sorry, but not really.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote: ... why you were curious in the first place? ...

Because there is a lot that remains me to the ELVIS-Special. The stage, the musicians in the background, the sound of the band and so on. I wonder if Steve Binder has his inspiration from that show. Now I know, that my thoughts are wrong.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:40 am

Winston wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: ... why you were curious in the first place? ...

Because there is a lot that remains me to the ELVIS-Special. The stage, the musicians in the background, the sound of the band and so on. I wonder if Steve Binder has his inspiration from that show. Now I know, that my thoughts are wrong.

You never know, maybe Binder saw Jones at the Flamingo in April 1968, just like Presley did.

Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:26 pm

Tom really cared about Elvis as a friend, and vice versa, he was good for Elvis, and i am sure Tom was instrumental in private conversations in pushing Elvis back on track, encouraging him alot, at least that's what i think. I like Tom, i have his greatest hits CD, and i watch him on YouTube, and when ever he is on TV on the Biography Channel, basically whenever i know there will be something about him on TV, i will watch him, the man can really belt out a song that's for sure, i like him and his voice alot. :smt034