Post here your Elvis' pictures

Re: Another 'new' movie publicity shot?? Girl Happy, 1964

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:35 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:It's certainly a more entertaining film than any of Billy Fury's, Cliff Richards' (with the exception of "Serious charge") or The Beatles (with the exception of "Let it be") cheesy badly acted movies!

Actually, no.

I've not seen the Fury or Richards films, but "A Hard Day's Night" is, by a very wide margin, considered the "Citizen Kane" of rock 'n' roll films. "Girl Happy" is ... um ... not even close, on any level.

Interestingly, the MGM film is the first attempt by Hollywood to acknowledge the massive popularity and influence of the Fab Four in a Presley film, from Elvis being a member of a quartet in matching suits, to songs like "I've Got To Find My Baby," which apes the chorus of the Beatles' stunning cover of "Twist and Shout."

Again, you enjoy Elvis' film, but the reality is ... it's crap.

I don't know why some film 'critics' think "A hard day's night" is a good film just because it was done with a respected director. It's just an infantile 3rd rate 'farce' made to cash in on the Beatles success. Acting is poor. Songs are OK, granted, but if I had a choice of watching the Beatles acting like fools on the screen, or Elvis, I personally prefer Elvis. If "Let it be" (ironically their only decent film which has NEVER been officially released) came out, then I would buy it instantaneously. These 4 guys were musicians and songwriters, NOT movie actors. :roll:

A Hard Day's Night was a pivotal and important film for more reasons than you seem to appreciate, Tony. It not only capitalised on The Beatles' success, popularity and individual personalities, but done so in a way that helped establish a new language in both cinema and television. What Richard Lester done with A Hard Day's Night may look simple, but his direction was brilliant, employing rich story-telling techniques that keep a straightforward narrative continually in motion. The use of hand-held cameras and snappy editing afforded a realism that was reminiscent of the French New Wave and came to represent a style of film-making that would fit a number of genres and styles, from the pop music video to spy films and the influx of British cinema that found box office gold in its wake. Importantly, A Hard Day's Night was forward-thinking cinema, whilst Elvis was stuck in a clutch of musicals that owed more to the kind of vehicle that made Bing Crosby one of the biggest movie stars in the world thirty years prior. The difference being, that Crosby's films and music were streets ahead of anything Elvis was doing in 1965. As was A Hard Day's Night.

Nice picture, though.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:55 am

greystoke wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:It's certainly a more entertaining film than any of Billy Fury's, Cliff Richards' (with the exception of "Serious charge") or The Beatles (with the exception of "Let it be") cheesy badly acted movies!

Actually, no.

I've not seen the Fury or Richards films, but "A Hard Day's Night" is, by a very wide margin, considered the "Citizen Kane" of rock 'n' roll films. "Girl Happy" is ... um ... not even close, on any level.

Interestingly, the MGM film is the first attempt by Hollywood to acknowledge the massive popularity and influence of the Fab Four in a Presley film, from Elvis being a member of a quartet in matching suits, to songs like "I've Got To Find My Baby," which apes the chorus of the Beatles' stunning cover of "Twist and Shout."

I don't know why some film 'critics' think "A hard day's night" is a good film just because it was done with a respected director. It's just an infantile 3rd rate 'farce' made to cash in on the Beatles success. Acting is poor. Songs are OK, granted, but if I had a choice of watching the Beatles acting like fools on the screen, or Elvis, I personally prefer Elvis. If "Let it be" (ironically their only decent film which has NEVER been officially released) came out, then I would buy it instantaneously. These 4 guys were musicians and songwriters, NOT movie actors. :roll:

A Hard Day's Night was a pivotal and important film for more reasons than you seem to appreciate, Tony. It not only capitalised on The Beatles' success, popularity and individual personalities, but done so in a way that helped establish a new language in both cinema and television. What Richard Lester done with A Hard Day's Night may look simple, but his direction was brilliant, employing rich story-telling techniques that keep a straightforward narrative continually in motion. The use of hand-held cameras and snappy editing afforded a realism that was reminiscent of the French New Wave and came to represent a style of film-making that would fit a number of genres and styles, from the pop music video to spy films and the influx of British cinema that found box office gold in its wake. Importantly, A Hard Day's Night was forward-thinking cinema, whilst Elvis was stuck in a clutch of musicals that owed more to the kind of vehicle that made Bing Crosby one of the biggest movie stars in the world thirty years prior. The difference being, that Crosby's films and music were streets ahead of anything Elvis was doing in 1965. As was A Hard Day's Night.

Nice picture, though.

Thank you.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:31 am

greystoke wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Actually, no.

Nice picture, though.

I have never considered myself to be a big fan of the Beatles and it has been so many years since I last saw A Hard Day's Night, as such I am not in a position to say how good or otherwise the direction etc. was. What I do remember though when first watching it in the mid 60's was how great they filmed the final stage show with the fantastic audience reaction and excitement. Loving You was the nearest an Elvis film got to showing us what he was like live in his 50's heyday, and I remember thinking why couldn't they have made a film with Elvis, like this, in 1956.

Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:24 pm

The greatest and successful american copy of The Beatles was The Monkees. But they had some very good songs, including my favorite "I'm a Believer".