Off Topic Messages

RIP River Phoenix 1970-1993

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Hey guys just noticed nobody posted anything about River Phoenix's 20th anniversary of his passing on the 31st October,

Best actor of his generation & would be even bigger today had he lived on had twice the acting skills of his brother Joaquin.

Rip River never forgotten.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: RIP River Phoenix 1970-1993

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:04 pm

He's be 43 today. Wow. Poor guy, people like Paul Peterson (former child actor turned child actor advocate) reached out, but they couldn't save him.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Yeah a lot of people had reached out to him before that fateful night at the Viper Room, Shame how it turned out though he sure as hell had a great future ahead of him!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:40 am

River was great, i liked him alot, also in the 1986 Movie Stand By Me, i never get tired of watching that movie. he really was a great loss, what a shame. :(

Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am

Stand by me will always be a timeless classic! I prefer My Own Private Idaho with Keanu Reeves that would probably be his all time best performance.

One of his last films The Thing Called Love is centered around the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville & has a good few Elvis references filmed at a remodeled Graceland in one scene.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:53 pm

I remember my sadness. Just a kid. It was hard to take in, then, and hard to think about now.

I also love "Stand By Me" so much. And he did have a future.

Poor child. I hope he rests in peace.

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:01 pm

The passing of River Phoenix was very sad indeed. As for whether the future would have been bright for him, well I'm not so sure. He was of course great in My own Private Idaho, Running on Empty and even Dogfight (flawed though that film is). But his other films from the last five years are often forgettable and, when he was in an ensemble cast, we have forgotten down the years that he was even in them. That's not taking anything away from his performances, I just think someone with his talent should have been doing better films than Sneakers or I Love You to Death.

But he came along at a strange time, when the 1980s brat pack cycle was finishing and teen-film stars Corey Haim, Patrick Dempsey and Corey Feldman were already focussing on straight to video material by the time Phoenix was 20. There was nowhere in Hollywood at that time for Phoenix to fit - there was no huge teen cycle at that precise moment for him to fall into. Ethan Hawke had much the same problem. He tried his hand at minor teen films like Mystery Date but never quite became the A-lister he could and should have been until some years later - and only then partly because of his marriage to Uma Thurman.

One would think that River Phoenix should have been getting any role he wanted, but instead his final half-decade found him in a series of independent films or as a supporting actor in run of the mill Hollywood fare. Either way, it doesn't matter now. One would have hoped that the high profile death of Phoenix would have prevented similar fates for other former child and teen stars, but sadly the list continues to grow - Brad Renfro, Jonathan Brandis, Corey Haim, Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, Cory Monteith...

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Corey Haim died of pneumonia.

That's a good point about River Phoenix I never really thought about that.

Aside from doing a couple of great films in the 1980s he was playing in a bunch of mediocre films that were little seen.

I do know that he was suppose to play Christian Slater's role in Interview with the Vampire before he died.