Off Topic Messages

Best Dylan covers

Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 pm

In an article in the UK's Sun Newspaper (I know, hardly the last word on music) to promote Dylan's Complete Album Collection, various aspects of his career were detailed. One of which was the best Dylan cover. In reverse order:

5) Masters of War - Pearl Jam
4) It Ain't Me Babe - Johnny Cash
3) Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds
2) All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
1) Tomorrow Is A Long Time - You Know Who

Just thought I'd mention it.
::rocks

Re: Best Dylan covers

Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Delboy wrote:In an article in the UK's Sun Newspaper (I know, hardly the last word on music) to promote Dylan's Complete Album Collection, various aspects of his career were detailed. One of which was the best Dylan cover. In reverse order:

5) Masters of War - Pearl Jam
4) It Ain't Me Babe - Johnny Cash
3) Mr Tambourine Man - The Byrds
2) All Along The Watchtower - Jimi Hendrix
1) Tomorrow Is A Long Time - You Know Who

Just thought I'd mention it.

Good choices, but my personal #1 Dylan cover is:

I Shall Be Released - You Know Who

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:32 am

Going by his recordings of Don't Think Twice, Tomorrow Is a Long Time and I Shall be Released, Elvis certainly found a connection with Dylan. How nice it would have been to hear him tackle some other Dylan classics such as I'll Be Your Baby Tonight, Forever Young or, had he lived beyond 1977 Every Grain of Sand or even Make You Feel My Love.

Elvis aside, Nina Simone had a wonderful connection with the songs of Bob Dylan, with her first cover coming from 1964 and Just Like a Woman remaining in her concert repertoire until she died. Her studio recording of that song is outstanding, a wonderful example of Simone at her best - one of the most talented (and erratic) performers of the second half of the twentieth century and yet one of the most troubled. This recording of I Shall Be Released is from a 1969 concert and finds her in a positively buoyant mood - I'm not quite sure why the final chorus is cu off because it does exist, but sadly the postings of material on youtube by the Nina Simone estate are as erratic and unpredictable as their namesake.

phpBB [video]

And special mention of Odetta's wonderful album, too - a wonderful mix of jazz, folk, blues and gospel that inspired Elvis to give one of his best ever vocals back in 1966.

Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:02 pm

Nice list! The type of quality no longer expected from Rolling Stone lists.

It's still a fascinating mystery as to how Dylan found Elvis's recording! His interview where he talks about it is equally cryptic.

Since some newer fans may not know, Bob said "it was on Kismet." The album, "Kismet." A very, very odd mistake, because Elvis really did record a movie song of that name, but a different soundtrack.

So, first, Bob knew Elvis's movies much better than one has reason to expect. Next, with that in mind, it could be a pure mistake, or a way to misdirect Odetta, whose album Bob undoubtedly heard. This is bolstered by his weird and false statement "he did it with just guitar."

He might have thought she would be annoyed by the similar arrangement. And it being Elvis Presley, would inspire more accusations of cultural "theft," a feeling Bob understood first-hand.

Some day, perhaps many moons from now, but some day, we'll know more about his odd and potent fascination with Elvis Presley. Musically, it seems to go back to his very first album, including the strange reversed cover shot. And Highway *51.* A bazillion Highway 61 songs, yet he deliberately sings about the steet where Elvis lives, and prophetically, where he will die.

phpBB [video]

rjm

Sent From My Phabulous Galaxy Note II Phablet Using Tapatalk 4

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:58 pm

Australian Russell Morris does a terrific it's all over now, baby blue

Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:54 pm

I was 15 and somehow had never heard "I Shall Be Released" and was watching an episode of Magnum P.I. and a version by Joe Cocker was played at the end of the show. I loved it and then sought out the original recording. I still like this version but prefer Dylan's and I will wish forever that someone would have handed the lyrics to Elvis and had him work out a full version.

phpBB [video]

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:44 am

Them's "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" is stunning, haunting, quintessential --- as good as they come as far as Dylan covers.

phpBB [video]

Them "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" Them Again (Parrot 61008, April 2, 1966)
Lead vocal: Van Morrison; Vibraphone: Ray´╗┐ Elliot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_(band)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Them_Again

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:04 am

Here's a live version by Russell Morris of It's All Over Now, Baby Blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__94J_lSPic

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Never heard of that band "You Know Who".

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:03 am

I always like Rick Nelson's version of"She Belongs To me"
on the flip side of "the Garden Party" single.
Rick also done "I Shall Be Released" as well.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:15 pm

Bob Walkenhorst (The Rainmakers) adds a little Dylan to his live set from time to time, here's one of my favorites - Things Have Changed:
https://ia600201.us.archive.org/1/items/bobwalkenhorst2005-05-18.shnf/bobwalkenhorst2005-05-18d1t10_vbr.mp3

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:46 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Never heard of that band "You Know Who".

You should check them out. They're pretty good.