Off Topic Messages

Cliff Richard Releases 'Rip It Up' From New Album

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:23 pm

Please go to the following URL:

http://www.contactmusic.com/press/cliff ... ember-2013

Brian

Re: Cliff Richard Releases 'Rip It Up' From New Album

Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:33 pm

Cliff Richard cites Little Richard as one of his biggest inspirations, with the 'Richard' surname a tribute to the rock 'n' roll great. The new album, 'The Fabulous Rock 'n' Roll Songbook' also released on 11 November, is new studio album of 15 great rock 'n' roll tracks and is Cliff Richard's tribute to the greats of rock 'n' roll who inspired and influenced him. Pre-order the album on iTunes and get 'Rip it Up' now!

'The Fabulous Rock 'n' Roll Songbook' track-listing is as follows:
1. Rip It Up
2. Wake Up Little Susie
3. Poetry In Motion
4. Sealed With a Kiss
5. Stood Up
6. Such a Night
7. School Days
8. Teddy Bear & Too Much (medley)
9. Don't Let Go
10. Dream Lover
11. Stuck on You
12. Fabulous
13. Rave On
14. Johnny B. Goode
15. One More Sunny Day

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 pm

Great to see Cliff finally rocking again. It's been way to long since he's put out this type of album though I wish he had added a couple of new songs written in 1950s rock and roll style. The one he released with the Shadows was disappointing since it consisted of re-recordings. It should have been all new songs.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 am

He is almost certain to perform at the O2 Arena in London next year along with the European dates he has confirmed promoting this new album.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:53 am

Pretty cool tracklisting!

Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:29 pm

I don't think the single or album sold very well - did either of them even chart?

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 pm

Elfan wrote:I don't think the single or album sold very well - did either of them even chart?

Both released on 11th November.

Brian

Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:58 pm

I liked some of his earlier stuff but he sounded terrible at the concert for the Queen last year,too be honest most of the "Oldies" did bar Tom Jones.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:10 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:
Elfan wrote:I don't think the single or album sold very well - did either of them even chart?

Both released on 11th November.

Brian

Ah, that explains why they haven't charted :-)
We'll see how they do compared to 'The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs'. We haven't had an Elvis v Cliff battle for a long time - takes you back doesn't it?

Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:38 am

jacob wrote:I liked some of his earlier stuff but he sounded terrible at the concert for the Queen last year,too be honest most of the "Oldies" did bar Tom Jones.

I thought that his voice must be shot when I saw that, but it does seem he was just unlucky and had a bad throat or something that day. Clips of recent shows reveal him to sound pretty much the same as ever.

Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:19 pm

Well I'm glad you said that because to be honest I would have held the impression of what I heard on the Queen's concert.I thought others sounded bad as well in particular Paul McCartney.As I said Tom Jones sounded great in comparison,he seems to have kept his voice in good working order despite his advancing age.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:10 am

He was a guest on Clive Anderson's BBC Radio 4 programme "Loose Ends", which was broadcast on Saturday. He did "Move It" with just an acoustic guitar and sounded good. Quite a remarkable performer. I think, unlike Paul MacCartney and others who had performed at Buck Palace, his voice is fine.

Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:48 pm

Someone i know has given me a copy of this new album and i have listened to it all the way through and thought it wasn't good at all.

There is not one track on there i liked.

Im so glad i didn't buy it.

'Stuck On You' was hard on the hearing and when he sings the line 'Tear us apart' he really goes off-key when he sings the word 'Tear'.

I understand his vocals are not gonna be as strong as they used to be but i was disappointed with this new album.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:55 am

Bodie wrote:I understand his vocals are not gonna be as strong as they used to be but i was disappointed with this new album.

I'm listening to the album now. I've played the intros to all the tracks and now I'm going through the album properly. I'd be surprised if he goes off tune at any point because surely they'd either make him correct it or else they'd do it in the studio with software, but regardless it's not a very good album. His voice is fine, no problems there, but the band sound like they've just come from a local theatre production of Grease or something. The backing tracks and arrangements are cheesy, to say the least.

He needs a producer who'll sit him down and give him a good talking to. Tell him, he's a legend in this country and he's throwing away everything that he's achieved by releasing crap like this.

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:06 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:I understand his vocals are not gonna be as strong as they used to be but i was disappointed with this new album.

I'm listening to the album now. I've played the intros to all the tracks and now I'm going through the album properly. I'd be surprised if he goes off tune at any point because surely they'd either make him correct it or else they'd do it in the studio with software, but regardless it's not a very good album. His voice is fine, no problems there, but the band sound like they've just come from a local theatre production of Grease or something. The backing tracks and arrangements are cheesy, to say the least.

He needs a producer who'll sit him down and give him a good talking to. Tell him, he's a legend in this country and he's throwing away everything that he's achieved by releasing crap like this.

That's a damned shame! Rick Rubin anyone? :wink: :lol:

Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:59 pm

The Pirate wrote:

What did you think of 'Stuck On You'? To me he sounds like he went off tune when he tried to hit that high note.

Its like Cliff is doing to this classic Rock n Roll songs, what Pat Boone did to 'Tutti Frutti', that's probably the best way to describe this album.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:14 am

Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

What did you think of 'Stuck On You'? To me he sounds like he went off tune when he tried to hit that high note.

Its like Cliff is doing to this classic Rock n Roll songs, what Pat Boone did to 'Tutti Frutti', that's probably the best way to describe this album.

I can see what you meant about the "tear us apart" bit. I wouldn't have said he was out of tune, it just sounded like he was straining to get there. The right note was in there somewhere, but he had to slide into it instead of hitting it straight off.

I think he still has a voice, and it's not a bad one. it's not like I'm even saying "Not bad for an old man" because that wouldn't be fair, he can still sing perfectly well. What he needs is new material. The problem is that the minute he starts singing songs like the ones on his new album, I immediately make comparisons with how he was back in the 50s and 60s and that's never going to end well is it? If he'd recorded them with The Shadows it would have been a start, instead of this bunch of soulless session men. At least I presume that's what they are.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:44 am

cliff performs 'softcock' music simple as that. :?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:49 pm

Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I didn't hear it but is it really THAT bad??? :shock:

Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:06 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I didn't hear it but is it really THAT bad??? :shock:

Do you know who Daniel O'Donnell is? Well, I would imagine that Daniel O'Donnell fans will be falling over themselves to buy this record.

phpBB [video]

Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:22 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Bodie wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

I can see what you meant about the "tear us apart" bit. I wouldn't have said he was out of tune, it just sounded like he was straining to get there. The right note was in there somewhere, but he had to slide into it instead of hitting it straight off.

I think he still has a voice, and it's not a bad one. it's not like I'm even saying "Not bad for an old man" because that wouldn't be fair, he can still sing perfectly well. What he needs is new material. The problem is that the minute he starts singing songs like the ones on his new album, I immediately make comparisons with how he was back in the 50s and 60s and that's never going to end well is it? If he'd recorded them with The Shadows it would have been a start, instead of this bunch of soulless session men. At least I presume that's what they are.

I agree with the points you brought up.

Cliff did some brilliant covers in the 50's and 60's but this album, even though he still has a great voice, is just so dull considering the songs he is covering.
I saw Cliff and The Shadows a couple of years ago and they were great which is why im alittle disappointed with this album.

Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:10 pm

The difference between CLiffs forum and this is very funny. On his forum they were discussing the Elvis/Boyle duet and someone said the reason that Cliff wasn't approved to do a duet with Elvis is due to jealousy from EPE. Well of course I jumped on that and took up for Elvis, haha they deleted the topic!!!
Now I like Cliff but his fans can't stand any criticism at all. I put up about his silly dance moves on Graham Norton and they took it bad too.

Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:12 am

jacob wrote:I liked some of his earlier stuff but he sounded terrible at the concert for the Queen last year,too be honest most of the "Oldies" did bar Tom Jones.

very true

Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:33 pm

nod3million wrote:The difference between CLiffs forum and this is very funny. On his forum they were discussing the Elvis/Boyle duet and someone said the reason that Cliff wasn't approved to do a duet with Elvis is due to jealousy from EPE. Well of course I jumped on that and took up for Elvis, haha they deleted the topic!!!
Now I like Cliff but his fans can't stand any criticism at all. I put up about his silly dance moves on Graham Norton and they took it bad too.

Hi
Can you tell me please where is the Cliff's forum ? what web site ? :)
Thanks