Off Topic Messages

Happy 100th Birthday Burt Lancaster !

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:44 pm

The legendary Academy award winning movie actor would've been 100 on Saturday.
One of my favorite actors of all time.

Re: Happy 100th Birthday Burt Lancaster !

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 pm

I forgot to buy a present!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:21 am

I thought for a second he was still alive !

Great actor though.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:21 pm

He was great in Moses the lawgiver

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:45 am

He is another big favorite of mine, love all his movies, my Grand Mother was born in 1913 also, and would have been 100 years old, i miss her. :wink:

Just a few of my faves.

The Killers
Brute Force
Desert Fury
Ten Tall Men
Vera Cruz
Jim Thorpe – All-American
Ten Tall Men
Come Back, Little Sheba
Trapeze
Gunfight at the O.K. Corral
Sweet Smell of Success
Run Silent, Run Deep
Elmer Gantry
Birdman of Alcatraz
The Train
Lawman
Tough Guys

And so many more. :D

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:19 pm

Burt Lancaster had one of the greatest and most successful long careers of any actor in Hollywood, Europe or further afield. He’s always been one of my favourite actors and I could cite numerous films and performances of his as absolute favourites, although, my earliest memories of him are in the films Trapeze, Gunfight at the O.K. Corral and The Birdman of Alcatraz. Trapeze, co-starring Tony Curtis, and directed by the great Carol Reed, found Lancaster revelling in the kind of star-power that made him one of the premier leading men in 1950s Hollywood, whilst his tremendous physicality and ability to perform many of his own stunts made it obvious why he was once considered to be the natural successor to Errol Flynn. Gunfight at the O.K. Corral remains memorable for many reasons, although it’s not the most authentic adaptation of this event in U.S. history, on screen, with such vibrant performances from Lancaster, as Wyatt Earp, and Kirk Douglas, as Doc Holliday, this exciting movie ticked all the boxes for sheer entertainment value. A more quiet and introverted film was The Birdman of Alcatraz -– although, not without its moments of violence and intensity. Directed by John Frankenheimer, the allure of this tremendous film comes from a combination of elements that met in near-perfect harmony. It’s superbly written, directed and photographed, then there’s Burt Lancaster, made to look older than his years, but with that undeniable star-wattage in full-effect as his facial expressions and small gestures express as much, perhaps even more, than he often did with those larger than life, masculine performances that helped establish him as a bona fide leading man. A leading man who, despite the duration of his career, made his big screen debut at the relatively mature age of 32, with his memorable, laconic, performance as the “Swede”, in The Killers. By the time he was fronting multi-million dollar epics, such as From Here to Eternity, Lancaster, like his Oscar-winning co-star, Frank Sinatra, had the foresight and aspiration to branch out into producing. With his frequent partners, Harold Hecht and James Hill, Lancaster became one of the most successful and prolific actors-turned-producers of the era, bringing Oscar-winners, such as Marty and Separate Tables, to the big screen, along with popular films like Apache, Vera Cruz and The Sweet Smell of Success. Later in his career, when many actors of his generation struggled to find really good material, at least on a regular basis, or became more visible on television, Lancaster continued to seek, and find, good roles throughout the 1980s. He was superb in Atlantic City, garnering his fourth Oscar nomination as the would-be gangster who gets involved with a younger woman and big-time organised crime that’s way over his head. In Local Hero, a small Scottish film with shades of Ealing’s best comedies, he shone as the CEO of the billion dollar oil company who are intent on buying an entire village and building a refinery in its place. Although, perhaps most memorable of all his performances of the era, and one of the truly great later performances of any actor, was Lancaster’s moving portrayal of Archie “Moonlight” Graham, in Field of Dreams. This magical movie had all the ingredients of a true cinematic gem; part moving family drama, part fantasy, with a sporting element involved and loads of nostalgia. The setting and story seem a bit daft on paper, but on screen, this film is so very endearing and hugely moving that it works in almost every area, and does so in the way great cinema often does. With genuine emotion, intelligence and an understanding of both its characters and its audience. All of the performances here were great -- Kevin Costner at his best and James Earl Jones in a fine turn. And Lancaster brings such gravitas and truth with a gentle, understated performance that was criminally overlooked during the 1990 awards season. If you haven’t seen this film in a while, and think it may have dated, or that it’s the kind of cornball cinema best left in the 1980s, then give it another try. It’s a film worth revisiting in the same way It’s a Wonderful Life or The Wizard of Oz is.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:33 am

Hey guys this Wednesday on TCM 11/6/13 starting at 8 PM, there will be (8) Burt Lancaster Movies on in a row. Cool :smt023

The Killers - his first Movie, 1946. Nice :D
Come Back, Little Sheba
From Here To Eternity
The Swimmer
The Gypsy Moths
Jim Thorpe – All-American
The Flame and the Arrow
Apache

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:47 pm

norrie wrote:I thought for a second he was still alive !

Yeah same here :D

Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:18 pm

LSP-4445 wrote:
norrie wrote:I thought for a second he was still alive !

Yeah same here :D

Burt passed away 19 years ago, on October 20th, 1994. His frequent co-star, Kirk Douglas, is still alive and will be 98 on December 9th. They were a great on-screen pairing, both in their prime, when starring in Gunfight at the O.K. Corrall, the excellent Seven Days in May, or in their later years in Tough Guys. Which I love. Although, Eli Wallach, who will be 98 the day before Kirk, steals the show here with a completely nutso performance as a hit man on the trail of ex-cons Lancaster and Douglas.