Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why did Presley allow this?! Jack Good speaks out, 1960

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Interesting and controversial article from 1960.
JACK GOOD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Why did Presley allow this?! Jack Good speaks out, 1960

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:29 pm

The reviewer wrote very clear, GI Blues was the first major mistake of Parker. Too bad many, many more will follow. And maybe the first major mistake of the Colonel was back in 1958 and was not to accept the Army's offer for Elvis to join and sing in the Special Services.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:52 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:The reviewer wrote very clear, GI Blues was the first major mistake of Parker. Too bad many, many more will follow. And maybe the first major mistake of the Colonel was back in 1958 and was not to accept the Army's offer for Elvis to join and sing in the Special Services.

i wished elvis did bye bye birdie :D.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Thanks Tony

Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:54 pm

Interesting. I was young in 1960(10) and it was great to have Elvis back period, but I do remember some of his older teenage fans feeling the same way as this article. Some actually at that point, moved on from Elvis. Of course the loyalists like me, stayed, but became more disappointed as the musicals became more lame.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks a lot, Tony.., for this interesting post.

Do you have the rest of the article and its original source ? It would be great to have it complete.

What can we say ? Jack Good was right ! And this was only the fifth Elvis movie. Incredibly, in the next nine years, twenty-six (26) more films would be produced around him, most of them worse than the previous. It would have been interesting to learn about Good's opinion as the sixties went on, and the image of one of the most important personalities in American music destroyed in the process, just by the sheer greed of an artistically ignorant record industry.

Thanks again.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:50 pm

This quote says it all...

We are promised "the brilliant new personality of Elvis". All I can say is, give us back the brilliant old personality of Elvis.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:46 pm

it's amazing how many reviewers saw the real truth after they saw GI Blues. I like to repeat one of my old ideas: what a great film GI Blues could have been if the real story of Elvis Presley being drafted with all his worries and stress he experienced (if he could be back again and successful in show business after two years of absence) was revealed on the screen. Instead we got a mediocre script and Elvis singing Wooden Heart to dolls.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:47 pm

Meh.

GI Blues is no worse a movie than Love me Tender or Loving You was.

I am convinced the fans would have liked it more if the movie had some better songs.

If you took the three weakest songs from movie and replaced them with better songs the fans wouldn't complain about it as much.

At that time Elvis' films had some pretty high standards when it came to the music and GI Blues wasn't quite up to that level.

That being said there were some good songs from GI Blues and the film is okay for Elvis' movie standards.

I find the hatred some fans have for it to be over the top sometimes.

I think Elvis' first ten films were okay.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:36 pm

Brian, in Loving You Elvis played himself and he was very credible. In GI Blues he played a fantasy good soldier who became a baby sitter in a silly script. To me, Elvis from Loving You is far more better as an actor and singer comparing to GI Blues.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:45 pm

elvis could not keep playing the 50's greaser forever. they were trying to broaden things for him for him. nothing wrong with light hearted musicals. and his were popular until the mid sixties. after that things needed to change. but GI Blues, Fun In Acapulco, Blue Hawaii were very popular movies. someone was enjoying them.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:16 pm

One thing is noted is the bad miming to the songs in GI Blues. That is something that was pretty consistent throughout the 60's movies is his bad lip syncing to many songs. I've often wondered why they left those takes in the film and didn't try to get more realistic looking takes.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

G I Blues is a perfectly respectable film in its own right - we view it differently now because of the films that followed it. As an attempt to put Elvis in a straightforward musical comedy that was to appeal beyond his fanbase, it works just fine. And 1960 was all about expanding Elvis's popularity beyond teenagers. If Mr Good really thought Elvis could continue in Hollywood forever playing a teenager with an attitude then he was very much mistaken. Elvis was no longer a rebellious teenager - he was a 25 year old who had just spent two years in the army.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:29 pm

poormadpeter wrote:G I Blues is a perfectly respectable film in its own right - we view it differently now because of the films that followed it. As an attempt to put Elvis in a straightforward musical comedy that was to appeal beyond his fanbase, it works just fine. And 1960 was all about expanding Elvis's popularity beyond teenagers. If Mr Good really thought Elvis could continue in Hollywood forever playing a teenager with an attitude then he was very much mistaken. Elvis was no longer a rebellious teenager - he was a 25 year old who had just spent two years in the army.

At 25, I don't think anyone expected Elvis to play keep playing a rebellious teenager, but we didn't expect to see him baby sit & sing to puppets either. That went too far in expanding his fan base.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:34 pm

poormadpeter wrote:G I Blues is a perfectly respectable film in its own right - we view it differently now because of the films that followed it. As an attempt to put Elvis in a straightforward musical comedy that was to appeal beyond his fanbase, it works just fine. And 1960 was all about expanding Elvis's popularity beyond teenagers. If Mr Good really thought Elvis could continue in Hollywood forever playing a teenager with an attitude then he was very much mistaken. Elvis was no longer a rebellious teenager - he was a 25 year old who had just spent two years in the army.

Amen. and it sounds funny now but people didn't know if Rock n Roll was gonna last forever. at the time it was a smart career move for Elvis to do more mainstream family friendly stuff like that. and that is one of the reasons Elvis has and had fans of all ages go to his shows in later years. he was a diverse artist who sang all types of music.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:16 pm

The coolest song for me was Frankfort Special, when I saw GIB some 34 years ago as a 15 years old youngster. It contained a type of Mystery Train feeling and I surprised myself humming it a few times when I later traveled Germany by train on several occassions ;-) although the lyrics were much different. What I never understood was the silly comparison-thing when Elvis attempted Blue Suede Shoes and someone claimed, that he wanted to hear the "original" and picked Presley's version from 56 on the jukebox instead of Carl Perkins. That was too much and I was done with the movie as well.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:33 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:The coolest song for me was Frankfort Special, when I saw GIB some 34 years ago as a 15 years old youngster. It contained a type of Mystery Train feeling and I surprised myself humming it a few times when I later traveled Germany by train on several occassions ;-) although the lyrics were much different. What I never understood was the silly comparison-thing when Elvis attempted Blue Suede Shoes and someone claimed, that he wanted to hear the "original" and picked Presley's version from 56 on the jukebox instead of Carl Perkins. That was too much and I was done with the movie as well.

Well the unfortunate thing was it wasn't even Presley's 56 version on that juke box it was the watered down 1960 version, so as far as the script went, it wasn't even Elvis's original. Carl had the 'original' original. Just a very bad piece of script writing overall. Elvis maybe should have demanded it be changed.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:40 pm

The problem was Elvis himself. He hated the script of GI Blues, he disliked half of the songs and he was embarassed with the movie scene of "Frankfurt Special". And I think he was right. After King Creole he did GI Blues. A big step back. An all family entertainer? He had before big hit ballads like I Want You, I Need You, I Love You, Love Me Tender and Don't. So It's Now Or Never, Are You Lonesome Tonight, Surrender and Can't Help Falling in Love were not his first ballad hits. He could play dramatic roles not travelogues like GI Blues, Blue Hawaii, Girls! Girls! Girls!, Fun in Acapulco and many, many more in the following years.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:48 pm

the "travelogues" made lots of money. its called the movie business for a reason.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:51 pm

DEH wrote:the "travelogues" made lots of money. its called the movie business for a reason.

So did A Hard Day's Night & Help! The powers that be wanted The Beatles to continue but they got out of it quickly. it's called integrity for a reason.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 pm

After G.I. blues Elvis did Flaming star and Wild in the country, two more or less serious acting role movies. But they were not the box-office success G.I. blues was or Blue Hawaii would be.
Y'all had your chance to make Elvis a serious actor but you blew it, so stop whining about the travelogues.....

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:57 pm

Of course. The money made from the travelogues made the Colonel very happy and he was very comfortable (because he had a bad back) so many years working on Hollywood sets.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:20 am

As I have said before, the travelogues came after G I Blues - and we shouldn't blame that film for them, or consider it a lesser film because of the law of diminishing returns with each film in a cycle. G I Blues wasn't the first of those films anyway: Blue Hawaii was. For some reason the two films get clumped together, but have little in common with each other. G I Blues was a traditional musical, with more than just Elvis performing (Prowse does three numbers from what I remember). Blue Hawaii was a film built totally and utterly around Elvis. Take Elvis out of G I Blues and replace him with Dean Martin or Mario Lanza or Frank Sinatra and you still have a film. That wasn't the case with Blue Hawaii. And the narrative of G I Blues had been used a number of times before within Hollywood musicals.

I'm not quite sure why people are so obsessed with Elvis babysitting. It seems to be the only thing the film is remembered for on here, and that also goes to show that people still can't understand that Elvis's Hollywood career and music career wouldn't and shouldn't always go hand in hand. G I Blues was notable for showing us Elvis's gift for comedy for the first time, showing that he could crack conservative America, and showing that there was more to Elvis's on-screen persona than stepping into James Dean's shoes (quite literally in the case of King Creole which was originally intended for Dean).

And let's not forget that G I Blues worked - Elvis did crack conservative America and became acceptable. Even Bosley Crowther of the New York Times approved - and seemed to hit the nail on the head with regards to views of the film: "Well, it's not a question of how you like it—you older, quieter people, that is—you who will naturally like the pretty color and the occasional pleasant scenery of this film. It's a question of how those squealing youngsters, Elvis' erstwhile fans, are going to take to a rock 'n' roll singer with honey in his veins instead of blood."

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:22 am

I like GI Blues,I bet from the moment Elvis was enlisted that Hal Wallis and Parker had this sort of film in mind.I think that it was a natural choice,Elvis had done his time and came back a hero with a new image and this film fit that family entertainer role like a glove.I think that if after Blue Hawaii he had changed direction again these films would be looked at more favorably.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:23 am

r&b wrote:
DEH wrote:the "travelogues" made lots of money. its called the movie business for a reason.

So did A Hard Day's Night & Help! The powers that be wanted The Beatles to continue but they got out of it quickly. it's called integrity for a reason.

How many movies were they contracted for???? Uh Huh.