Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:25 pm

Last edited by SUN-RCA on Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Which Record or CD did you first hear "That's All Right"

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:31 pm

Weird enough the first time i heard that's allright mama was when i just started seeking elvis music videos, (before i became a fan) and it was the CBS version :shock:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:Weird enough the first time i heard that's allright mama was when i just started seeking elvis music videos, (before i became a fan) and it was the CBS version :shock:

That's funny, i did not even think about adding a Video to this as a first listen, good one tho Johnny, and a great first listen for you to start. :wink:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:55 pm

I first heard "That's All Right (Mama)" on "For LP Fans Only." Sadly, it was draped in echo, even more than the echo RCA added in late 1955. Later I heard it on the brilliant "Elvis At Sun" and finally I heard the original SUN version on Ernst's "A Boy From Tupelo." After hearing it on "A Boy From Tupelo" that's the only way I want to hear it from now on. Love that original SUN Sound!

MT

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm

MysteryTrain wrote:I first heard "That's All Right (Mama)" on "For LP Fans Only." Sadly, it was draped in echo, even more than the echo RCA added in late 1955. Later I heard it on the brilliant "Elvis At Sun" and finally I heard the original SUN version on Ernst's "A Boy From Tupelo." After hearing it on "A Boy From Tupelo" that's the only way I want to hear it from now on. Love that original SUN Sound!

MT

I have the same thoughts as you do "MysteryTrain" although i do really enjoy my Beat up old Vintage 1954 SUN 45 with its hissing, cracks, and pops. :D

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:57 pm

The first version i heard was the one on Elvis In Concert. The first time i heard the original 54 version was later i think 78 or so on the SUN Collection. The one with the drawing of Elvis with a red jacket. Back in august 1977 i was just 12 yrs old. So when El died i got Elvis Fever till forever i guess. The only things i heard before 16-8-77 was Heartbreak Hotel, Hound Dog, Big Hunk O Love, Jailhouse Rock and recent hits like Hurt, Moody Blue. Oh and i saw GI Blues on tv.
After he died i started learning things about Elvis and offcource i learned about That's All Right.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:04 pm

I think it was on one of the Legendary Performer volumes..

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Yes, "That's All Right (Mama)" was on "A Legendary Performer, Vol. I" and it sounded great there, but it was the RCA version with the extra revibe.

MT

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:42 pm

Ciscoking wrote:I think it was on one of the Legendary Performer volumes..

Ciscoking, the 1954 version was on the 1974 Legendary Performer Volume 1 album. On the 1983 Volume (4) it was the 1968 Comeback version. Those Legendary Performer Albums were great when they first came out, and still are, they bring back fond memories for me as a teen when those first came out, i played them alot :D

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:54 pm

I first heard That's Allright on a taped radio broad cast back in 78 and later on I bought For Elvis Fans only...But the real thing for me as a 15 year old youngster was "The Sun Sessions LP" (RCA Italy pressing)...that really rocked my house!!!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:
Ciscoking wrote:I think it was on one of the Legendary Performer volumes..

Ciscoking, the 1954 version was on the 1974 Legendary Performer Volume 1 album. On the 1983 Volume (4) it was the 1968 Comeback version. Those Legendary Performer Albums were great when they first came out, and still are, they bring back fond memories for me as a teen when those first came out, i played them alot :D

Thank you guys..that was it..yep..around the same time I also got Elvis Forever..memories..friends..

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:30 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:I first heard That's Allright on a taped radio broad cast back in 78 and later on I bought For Elvis Fans only...But the real thing for me as a 15 year old youngster was "The Sun Sessions LP" (RCA Italy pressing)...that really rocked my house!!!

That Album was my first time for hearing all the SUN songs together back in March 1976 when it first came out, and hitting # 48 on the Billboard Charts. Great memories for that album for sure, i remember it like it was yesterday, at the time i thought that was a SUN Record also. :lol:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:35 pm

RCA 45 rpm when they re-issued all the Sun songs on 45s.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:00 am

First heard it on Radio Luxemburg in 1959 or 1960.
Then on the German single That's all right c/w You're a heartbreaker some weeks after I heard it on the radio.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:15 am

Up to this point (I think it was late 1975 or early 1976, I'd never heard Elvis' SUN recordings... I think I had the Aloha LP and Elvis' Golden Records... the first time I heard That's All Right I actually thought it sounded a little funny because Elvis' voice was so much higher than I was used to hearing him. But as time went on I learned to appreciate those early recordings and enjoy them very much to this day.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 am

For me, it was 1964, on For LP Fans Only (in the UK it was just called 'Elvis').

Initially, I wasn't even aware that TAM was his first record and, when that became apparent, I didn't know whether it was the actual Sun recording on that LP. There was very little information readily available in those days : the Internet was about 30 years into the future and there was very little in print concerning Elvis's recording career.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 am

I first heard "That's All Right" on the UK Sun Collection LP in 1976. The song blew me away and it still does even after all these years.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:10 pm

SUN-RCA wrote:
sitdown revamped wrote:I first heard That's Allright on a taped radio broad cast back in 78 and later on I bought For Elvis Fans only...But the real thing for me as a 15 year old youngster was "The Sun Sessions LP" (RCA Italy pressing)...that really rocked my house!!!

That Album was my first time for hearing all the SUN songs together back in March 1976 when it first came out, and hitting # 48 on the Billboard Charts. Great memories for that album for sure, i remember it like it was yesterday, at the time i thought that was a SUN Record also. :lol:

the cover of my LP back then was a different version to yours. It had a colored illustration of Elvis wearing a red jacket. The illustration based on the circa 1955 photograph from somewhere in Texas...

Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:53 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:
SUN-RCA wrote:

the cover of my LP back then was a different version to yours. It had a colored illustration of Elvis wearing a red jacket. The illustration based on the circa 1955 photograph from somewhere in Texas...

This one "sitdown revamped", i love this cover, its very Cool looking. 8)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:16 pm

For LP fans only, albeit the 1989 reissue in the UK. I bought it on vinyl and played it to death. On a side note the Second to None CD has been in my wife's car for about two years now and recently my four year old son has discovered what the "CD" button does on the car stereo and That's All Right was the song he started singing along to. Now he and my two year old sing Bossa Nova Baby coooooooonstantly. Two weeks ago I was in a supermarket rifling through some pasta sauces with my four year old was beside me (in a world of his own) when he suddenly roared "he goes by the name of King Creole!!!" as loud as he could. I can consequently confirm to you now that it is possible to be mortified, proud and helpless with laughter all at the same time. Finally, last night I had to clamber out of bed in the middle of the night and rush in to his room because he was singing the chorus of "I need your love tonight" at the absolute top of his voice - in his sleep!??? I didn't know that was a thing. I'm not making this up.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:
SUN-RCA wrote:

Yess Sir, that second one below the first was the cover. Later I saw the picture. Maybe it is a 1956 photograph as well, did not find it while browsing, but it is a well known one. Elvis is offstage right in front of it, If I am right...Oh now I understand: I misnamed the LP. It was called The Sun Collection.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:21 pm

On "For LP fans only" on MC if that counts :-)

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:50 pm

elmonstro wrote:For LP fans only, albeit the 1989 reissue in the UK. I bought it on vinyl and played it to death. On a side note the Second to None CD has been in my wife's car for about two years now and recently my four year old son has discovered what the "CD" button does on the car stereo and That's All Right was the song he started singing along to. Now he and my two year old sing Bossa Nova Baby coooooooonstantly. Two weeks ago I was in a supermarket rifling through some pasta sauces with my four year old was beside me (in a world of his own) when he suddenly roared "he goes by the name of King Creole!!!" as loud as he could. I can consequently confirm to you now that it is possible to be mortified, proud and helpless with laughter all at the same time. Finally, last night I had to clamber out of bed in the middle of the night and rush in to his room because he was singing the chorus of "I need your love tonight" at the absolute top of his voice - in his sleep!??? I didn't know that was a thing. I'm not making this up.

Great story "elmonstro" :smt023 i enjoyed reading it very much, kids, ya gotta love em, i have 4, (2) young Teens, boy and girl, and (2) 4 year old Twins, boy and girl. :D

Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:52 pm

$T2eC16ZHJH0FG1nuy4zVBR62i82ccw~~60_12.jpg

IIRC there was an article in Record Collector that said this should be available on the NHS !

This was one of a batch of CD's that really got me into Elvis and That's All Right was one of my favourites.Simple but effective it just jumped right out at me as a great rock n roll song and a great rock n roll performance.

norrie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:28 pm

dreambear wrote:On "For LP fans only" on MC if that counts :-)

:lol: Ahhhhh yes the Mini Cassette, boy am i glad we have the CD now, what a pain that was always having to rewind or fast forward to a particular song you wanted to hear over again while driving around.

Although the Cassette has proven more durable then the CD when it comes to getting broken, you can drop the Cassette a million times, sit on it, leave it in the sun, and it never breaks, at least not to me, but you drop the CD too many times, or put it thru the same mishaps, and chances are it will crack, and get scratched. I can attest to that, because i still have a big box full of old cassettes that are many years old and i have put some of those cassettes thru hell and back, and they still play just fine :wink: