Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis Outtakes From The Fifties

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:19 pm

I'm still of the opinion that someone has the outtakes from his second LP, and the Christmas LP, as back in those days,
the top guns at RCA were well aware of the value of anything that Elvis put on tape.

Re: Elvis Outtakes From The Fifties

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:36 pm

Barry wrote:I'm still of the opinion that someone has the outtakes from his second LP, and the Christmas LP, as back in those days,
the top guns at RCA were well aware of the value of anything that Elvis put on tape.

I would like to think that you are right, but there were probably many RCA execs who thought re-using the tapes was more valuable in the long run. I don't know how old you are, but Elvis & rock & roll were considered passing fads through the 50' and it is doubtful RCA thought keeping Elvis outtakes on tape was more valuable than recording their other major stars like Perry Como & Eddie Fisher.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Barry wrote:I'm still of the opinion that someone has the outtakes from his second LP, and the Christmas LP, as back in those days,

Sadly they weren't in 1959...

Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Hmmm, so far we have a fair amount of outtakes from 56-onward, so I think someone has them.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:00 pm

Man this would be very Cool, and would be another Holy Grail discovery for Elvis fans, but i am sure that Ernst Jorgensen would have found these by now, if they were saved. There is always hope that they could be in some mislabeled box somewhere. :wink:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm

Most of the finds were during the 90's. Ernst looked everywhere possible and some cool things survived despite RCA trashing everyones outtakes in 1959. If they had known how important Elvis was they would have saved everything. But that did not happen. Life can be cruel sometimes, But I'm happy that we have what we have from the 50's, 60's (most of it) and 70's (almost everything).

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:28 pm

If there are reels from 1956-1958 in private hands, odds are fans will never hear what is on them.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:25 pm

You never know, who everthought we would hear a live version of I Forgot To Remember.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:53 pm

True but the difference was that we didn't know about IFTRTFH but we were told that all the outtakes were sent to Indianapolis in 59' and destroyed.I think there is more chance that we could get some of the missing sound track sessions from the 60's.I like everyone else would love for the 50's outtakes to suffice because I would also like to see if there were any hidden gems on the tapes.I've heard that they tried Fools Hall Of Fame in the studio,I read a interview (Somewhere) with DJ Fontana who said they tried it out.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:02 am

No they weren't. The idea of releasing outtakes was not even dreamt of in 1959 - they had the masters, that was all they needed.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:17 am

poormadpeter wrote:

No they weren't. The idea of releasing outtakes was not even dreamt of in 1959 - they had the masters, that was all they needed.

That being said, rather odd that we have so many outtakes and alternate versions.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 am

Barry wrote:You never know, who everthought we would hear a live version of I Forgot To Remember.

That was a total fluke, a live recording on a wire recorder, made at home by someone who wasn't even specifically taping Elvis Presley. It's not the same as someone who collects super-rare Elvis audio, and will not ever share it with the world because it will instantly lose its cachet and monetary value.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:20 am

Barry, I appreciate your hope. But the sad reality is that after the masters were removed, the session outtakes were worthless and a waste of space in the view of the RCA people of the time. The tapes were only worth something if able to be reused for other sessions. The most we could hope for is a few more Elvis outtakes to turn up on tapes that had not been fully erased. But the chances of that happening are rapidly dwindling with each year that passes.

The miracle you hope for has in fact already happened. It was a miracle that so many Elvis tapes happened to be either misfiled or out of town when the mass destruction occurred in 1959.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Barry wrote:You never know, who everthought we would hear a live version of I Forgot To Remember.

That was a total fluke, a live recording on a wire recorder, made at home by someone who wasn't even specifically taping Elvis Presley. It's not the same as someone who collects super-rare Elvis audio, and will not ever share it with the world because it will instantly lose its cachet and monetary value.

What "value" does it have if it's never put up for sale? Are they going to be buried with it?

You seem to think these exist in these private hands, but for psychological reasons, they won't let go. I hope they do exist, no matter if in these "hands." Somehow, if they exist, they will be heard, but perhaps by our descendants. (It also depends on the age of these people. If they are reasonably young, that IS a problem - for us.)

It would be tragic if these outtakes, especially from the Christmas album, and from the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel session existed, but never got to the fans who would appreciate them most. It would be better if they had been originally destroyed, than for them to be deliberately withheld like this.

rjm

Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:27 am

Lots of takes was discovered by Richard Weize in the early 90s.
They where doing digital transfers of tapes with Pee Wee King.
At the end of these there where outtakes by Elvis that was found.
It was reused Elvis tapes that was used at the Pee Wee King sessions.
I wondert why no one ever asked Richard Weize about this. :?
Richard contacted Ernest Joergensen about this discovery.
Some of it has been released.

:smt006

Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:12 pm

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What "value" does it have if it's never put up for sale? Are they going to be buried with it?

You seem to think these exist in these private hands, but for psychological reasons, they won't let go. I hope they do exist, no matter if in these "hands." Somehow, if they exist, they will be heard, but perhaps by our descendants. (It also depends on the age of these people. If they are reasonably young, that IS a problem - for us.)

It would be tragic if these outtakes, especially from the Christmas album, and from the Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel session existed, but never got to the fans who would appreciate them most. It would be better if they had been originally destroyed, than for them to be deliberately withheld like this.

Except that if they still exist, there is still hope.

Will they be buried with it? Maybe. It's the collector mentality.