Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Sonny Fisher's drummer and Elvis?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:08 pm

I recently looked up some information on Sonny Fisher. According to both wikipedia and all music guide, drummer Darrell Newsome played with Elvis a couple of times in Houston.

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/sonny-fi ... /biography

I checked A Boy From Tupelo but can't find information on that. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Re: Sonny Fisher's drummer and Elvis?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:43 am

Pink&Black wrote:I recently looked up some information on Sonny Fisher. According to both wikipedia and all music guide, drummer Darrell Newsome played with Elvis a couple of times in Houston.

I checked A Boy From Tupelo but can't find information on that. Does anyone know if there's any truth to this?

Never heard of Sonny Fisher (or his drummer Darrell), but Elvis *might* have shared a stage with them at some point in late 1954-early 1955.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:22 am

Sonny was an early rockabilly singer from east Texas who heard Elvis in late '54, and it made quite an impression on him. He put together a band The Rocking Boys and in 1955/6 did 2 sessions for Starday records. His guitarist, Joey Long, was heavily blues influenced and Sonny's tune "Rockin' Daddy" (Starday 179) was a regional seller, not quite a hit. All 8 tunes he did in the 50s were rockabilly, and are fine examples of the state of music after the Hillbilly Cat rolled through town. He did state to me that his drummer did a few pick up dates with Elvis in '55; I've talked with another drummer (a Mr. Williams) in the Fairfield, Texas area who made the same claim.
Sonny's records are very collectible now and though he was perhaps too rough edged in voice and style to hit nationally, he made quite a stir for about 2 years in east central Texas. Elvis certainly turned the Texas music scene on its ear as early as late '54, as illustrated by Beamon Forse who made one wonderful Sun sounding record "You Better Go Now" for the Rodney label (a Starday recorded tune)in Brunson, Texas. It sank without a trace and I am still searching for an original copy after 25 years of searching.
I am quite sure that Sonny and Elvis crossed paths professionally as Sonny played throughout the Tyler/Gladewater area in '54/'55/'56. He claimed they did though the venue was not remembered after 40 years.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:13 pm

Not heard about Sonny Fishers drummer playing with Elvis, don't think its mentioned in "A Boy From Tupelo".

Yes, Sonny Fisher was a Starday Rockabilly recording artist in the 50's. I think he only had four releases on the Texas "Starday" label. He was the writer of "Rockin' Daddy" later covered by Memphis Rockabilly artist Eddie Bond & His Stompers for Mercury Records.

Not much info his known about Sonny Fisher, except that he made those records for Starday. Here's a list of the 8 titles of what he had released on the four Starday released singles, don't know what the A & B sides were;

Rockin' Daddy
Sneaky Pete
Pink and Black
Little Red Wagon
Hold Me Baby
Hey Mama
Rockin' and A Rollin'
I Can't Lose

I have all these on a boot CD called "Texas Gold - The Starday Story Vol.2.

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks dougpoindexter and Mysterytrainrideson for your answers. Seems plausible that Sonny and Elvis met and that Darrell Newsome played for Elvis on some dates. I was surprised that this kind of information can be found on All Music Guide but isn't really known in the Elvis world. Gotta love Sonny's 'Pink and Black' :D
In 1980/1981 when there was a rockabilly revival in Europe, he did a tour in Britain and France.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JAwBBTGnRx4

Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:52 am

Pink&Black wrote:I recently looked up some information on Sonny Fisher. According to both wikipedia and all music guide, drummer Darrell Newsome played with Elvis a couple of times in Houston.

Thanks, Pink&Black, for your post.

I never heard this story before, and it could well be true.

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Not much info his known about Sonny Fisher, except that he made those records for Starday. Here's a list of the 8 titles of what he had released on the four Starday released singles, don't know what the A & B sides were;

Rockin' Daddy
Sneaky Pete
Pink and Black
Little Red Wagon
Hold Me Baby
Hey Mama
Rockin' and A Rollin'
I Can't Lose

I have all these on a boot CD called "Texas Gold - The Starday Story Vol.2."

Fisher was one of the earliest artists to cut records in an identifiable rockabilly style (not just uptempo hillbilly). His eight sides for Starday are priceless examples of this early, Elvis-influenced, sound. Also, his lead guitarist, Joey Long, is regarded by some as one of the best rockabilly guitar players ever.

Here are the discographical details of his four Starday singles :

http://rcs-discography.com/rcs/artist.php?key=fish5000

And here's an originally unissued version - possibly a demo - of his most well-known song, "Rockin' Daddy" :

phpBB [video]