Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:51 pm

memphisflash wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:The Whistling Blues instrumental is a joy -- anyone have any more info on this track? Was this used on the original film, and has this track been officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony before this FTD? It sounds like there is more than one lead guitarist (one guitar has a distinct neck pickup tone and the other a bridge pickup). Is that Scotty and Tiny trading licks back and forth? Anyone know who played which licks? And who is playing drums? Fontana, Bode or Mattinson?

I believe it's was played by the band just before "GI Blues", i think it was right after the scene when the sergeant picked out the redhead to be his date for the evening ...

I'm writing without checking here but I'm pretty sure that "A Whistling Blues" is not the instrumental used in the movie: that piece remains unidentified and unreleased. I will agree that it is a cool performance and it would be lovely to know if Elvis himself features.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:23 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

JimmyCool wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:G.I.Blues is my all time favourite Elvis´60´s movie and soundtrack 8)

I always thought it was "Fun In Acapulco" :o

No compadre, primero G.I.Blues después Viva Las Vegas y a continuación Fun In Acapulco :smt005. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

a mess of polk salad wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

a mess of polk salad wrote:Thanks Mike.
Fascinating stuff.

You´re welcome!. G.I.Blues is my all time favourite Elvis´60´s movie and soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

One of my favourite all-time FTD vinyls -

image.jpg

I don´t have it as I have all the Elvis USA original lp´s from the 50´s, 60´s and 70´s :wink:. This is my original USA LPM-2256 G.I.Blues with the super rare red Wooden Heart sticker in Near Mint condition 8).

I hardly buy FTD lp´s, I only have: Viva Las Vegas, Guitar Man and Standing Room Only. If ever a FTD vinyl release comes out of Memphis Tennessee I will buy it as well. Thanks for posting!. Bye for now :smt006.

Great one Mike.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:13 pm

Regarding Whistling Blues -- perhaps we can identify which licks Scotty plays and which are played by Tiny by comparing the 1960 recording to this 2003 live peformance of Scotty jamming on a slow blues. Similar to the 1960 Whistling Blues, there also two lead guitarists in the below 2003 blues jam and Scotty solos first. It's cool to hear Scotty jam on a slow blues where he can stretch out a bit and get the spotlight. Scotty is behind the acoustic guitarist and is partially blocked from the view of the video camera.

phpBB [video]

Here's Whistling Blues for comparison:

phpBB [video]

Last edited by monkboughtlunch on Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:15 pm

And the best of all with Gi Blues volume 2 is.. The Takes are in order! except for big boots Takes 6 & 5 (fast version)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:47 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:And the best of all with Gi Blues volume 2 is.. The Takes are in order! except for big boots Takes 6 & 5 (fast version)

Glad to know. That´s the way all the outtakes should have been treated since FTD nº 1 8). Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:57 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:Regarding Whistling Blues -- perhaps we can identify which licks Scotty plays and which are played by Tiny by comparing the 1960 recording to this 2003 live peformance of Scotty jamming on a slow blues. Similar to the 1960 Whistling Blues, there also two lead guitarists in the below 2003 blues jam and Scotty solos first. It's cool to hear Scotty jam on a slow blues where he can stretch out a bit and get the spotlight. Scotty is behind the acoustic guitarist and is partially blocked from the view of the video camera.

phpBB [video]

Here's Whistling Blues for comparison:

phpBB [video]

Thanks for the listen. All is new to me.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:And the best of all with Gi Blues volume 2 is.. The Takes are in order! except for big boots Takes 6 & 5 (fast version)

Glad to know. That´s the way all the outtakes should have been treated since FTD nº 1

Most deep fans are very happy with FTD's general manner of presentation on studio outtakes. Their releases cater to a complete listening experience, not a rote repository of take after take after take. For fans who want that, there are software programs that allow one to cut up audio files any way they please, even if boring is the desired result. ;-)

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:01 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Glad to know. That´s the way all the outtakes should have been treated since FTD nº 1

Most deep fans are very happy with FTD's general manner of presentation on studio outtakes. Their releases cater to a complete listening experience, not a rote repository of take after take after take. For fans who want that, there are software programs that allow one to cut up audio files any way they please, even if boring is the desired result. ;-)

And changing history for that matter..

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

And changing history for that matter..

Changing history?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:05 am

Doc is right this time. The FTD classics are really well presented. There isn't really much I would want to change except 2 cd versions of FIA and VLV. Can't wait to see what the track list is on the 3rd vol. from Memphis.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:

Agreed.One take after another of the same song is boring.FTD in most cases gets the mix right.

norrie

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:50 am

I have had a chance to compare the closing shows between the new On Stage Season 1970 FTD and the Madison release and am happy to report that the FTD is the more enjoyable listening experience! The FTD team had done a great restoration job on this show & what a fine show it is, one of my all time favorites from the King!

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:52 am

JEFF d wrote:I have had a chance to compare the closing shows between the new On Stage Season 1970 FTD and the Madison release and am happy to report that the FTD is the more enjoyable listening experience! The FTD team had done a great restoration job on this show & what a fine show it is, one of my all time favorites from the King!

JEFF d
EP fan

I have not got it yet. Looks like I will have to order a copy after your thumbs up.

Cheers

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:03 am

JEFF d wrote:I have had a chance to compare the closing shows between the new On Stage Season 1970 FTD and the Madison release and am happy to report that the FTD is the more enjoyable listening experience! The FTD team had done a great restoration job on this show & what a fine show it is, one of my all time favorites from the King!

JEFF d
EP fan

I have not got it yet. Looks like I will have to order a copy after your thumbs up.

Cheers

I recommend it whole hearted, its just that I thought the opening show ws just just not quite as good sound wise as the Madison release... but I'm sure you will enjoy this release especially if you don't have these shows in your collection! :)

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:48 am

IMO they have made the opening show much more bright sounding than the Madison release... of course there is still microphone overload still present on this show, I don't see how they could fix that but making this soundboard more clear sounding it also has a bit of a shillness to it. It is still very listenable tho, and it seems to me that Elvis is more upfront sounding on the FTD. The closing show is simply amazing I guess since there was no microphone overload on this show making it cleaner has worked much better & it is a sensational show to boot! Like I said before I would certainly still recommend this FTD for the closing show alone!

JEFF d
EP fan

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:56 am

JEFF d wrote:IMO they have made the opening show much more bright sounding than the Madison release... of course there is still microphone overload still present on this show, I don't see how they could fix that but making this soundboard more clear sounding it also has a bit of a shillness to it. It is still very listenable tho, and it seems to me that Elvis is more upfront sounding on the FTD. The closing show is simply amazing I guess since there was no microphone overload on this show making it cleaner has worked much better & it is a sensational show to boot! Like I said before I would certainly still recommend this FTD for the closing show alone!

JEFF d
EP fan

Note also that the Madison bootleg of the closing show has tape dropouts that are not present on the FTD version. It is therefore likely that the Madison used a multigenerational copy.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:06 am

Until now the best sounding release was Elvis-Rebooked At The International and this will be replaced from now on by the FTD release. What FTD can´t/won´t match is the amazing book that came with the Rebooked boxset, that´s a keeper :smt007. Bye for now :smt006.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:09 am

JEFF d wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

Cheers

I recommend it whole hearted, its just that I thought the opening show ws just just not quite as good sound wise as the Madison release... but I'm sure you will enjoy this release especially if you don't have these shows in your collection! :)

JEFF d
EP fan

I haven't got the shows, so will dip in for them when I can afford them.

Sounds terrific FTD release.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:20 am

Mike Windgren wrote:Until now the best sounding release was Elvis-Rebooked At The International and this will be replaced from now on by the FTD release. What FTD can´t/won´t match is the amazing book ...

"can´t/won´t match"?

Why do you always seem to find a way to complain about FTD?

How much do you think the people behind that reissue box set paid for the rights to the photos used in that "amazing" book? Here's the answer: $0.00. That makes a big difference compared to what FTD can and cannot do with their products. And the books they have released have been mostly phenomenal.

Given your constant reminders about how much you collect, there is no way you are unaware of this fact. So it makes your put-downs of FTD even more irksome.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:32 am

Ontour_72 wrote:Although theres some ftd's releases were a booklet would have been nice.i dont buy products because of there booklets.

Really?

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:44 am

I just received the new FTDs and I have to say that I enjoyed both releases a lot. GI BLUES VOLUME 2 is a pleasure to listen to and even the concert stuff is nothing but great. It sounds much better than the bootleg releases, especially the closing show is a real gem. :D

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:11 pm

Great i'll be having a great 'audio' time next weekend~! :D

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 pm

i think as fans we are very lucky to have ernst and ftd he has turned the elvis cataloge around since the late 80s and considering our man has been gone over 35 years we are still getting quality releases :D

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:01 pm

elvisland wrote:i think as fans we are very lucky to have ernst and ftd he has turned the elvis cataloge around since the late 80s and considering our man has been gone over 35 years we are still getting quality releases :D

I would never have got properly into Elvis without Ernst & co. He and FTD have been true ambassadors for Presley's music for so long now, and still going strong thank goodness.