Post here your Elvis' pictures

Very cool early 70's candid that's new to moi.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Anyone have a date and a place for this beauty?

ELVIS 70.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Very cool early 70's candid that's new to moi.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Nice candid. Shame someone's stuck a fake signature on to it.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:30 pm

Tony.. wrote:Anyone have a date and a place for this beauty?

Looks like summer 1970 in Memphis, just before he left for California to get ready for Vegas engagement #3 and the MGM cameras documenting it.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38544

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:30 am

I have this as May-June 1970 - backstage at the Orpheum, but i can't remember the source, sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:57 am

hilton22000 wrote:I have this as May-June 1970 - backstage at the Orpheum, but i can't remember the source, sorry.

If it's from May-June 1970, then we see Elvis at the Malco Theatre. It would be sold and renamed the Orpheum circa 1976-1977. Presley could have been attending a performance (likely rhythm and blues, a lot of Stax artists played there), or seeing a movie or three.

740300_Malco Theatre_Memphis.JPG
Malco Theatre, 203 South Main Street, Memphis - circa March 1974

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheum_Theatre_(Memphis,_Tennessee)
http://www.orpheum-memphis.com/orpheum_theatre_info/history
http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/1679/photos/22054

560728_w officer on South Main_Memphis.jpg
Elvis and Memphis Officer, 201 South Main Street, Memphis - Saturday, July 28, 1956
Malco Theatre is seen just behind Elvis.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:04 am

I don't think this was taken at the Orpheum. I think it's the Memphian! Of course I could be wrong but it was certainly taken during Elvis' Memphis stay during May-June 1970

The rear entrance to the Memphian which Elvis used has a couple of steps going down to a black door. I don't recall the Orpheum having anything more than a side entrance.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:34 am

Julian Grant wrote:I don't think this was taken at the Orpheum. I think it's the Memphian! Of course I could be wrong but it was certainly taken during Elvis' Memphis stay during May-June 1970

The rear entrance to the Memphian which Elvis used has a couple of steps going down to a black door. I don't recall the Orpheum having anything more than a side entrance.

It was DEFINITELY NOT taken at the Orpheum. But it could be backstage at the Malco.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
It was DEFINITELY NOT taken at the Orpheum. But it could be backstage at the Malco.

As the famously say here in Cambodia "same same but different" :wink:

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:53 pm

It would be sold and renamed the Orpheum circa 1976-1977.

Well, that's only part of the truth. The Grand Opera House, on the same site, had been home to the Orpheum Vaudeville Circuit since 1907, and it was subsequently renames The Orpheum. A lavish new theatre, The Orpheum was built on the same site in 1928 but double the size, after a fire destroyed the original building. It was indeed sold to Malco in 1940, but it was always known as The Orpheum locally, regardless of who owned it.

Wherever it was taken, it's a stunning photo showing a very relaxed and seemingly happy Elvis!

Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:52 pm

These others two in colors...
Salvatore

Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:33 am

DarrylMac wrote: It was indeed sold to Malco in 1940, but it was always known as The Orpheum locally, regardless of who owned it.

Don't think so. It was referred to as the Malco by many around Elvis, from the 1950s to the 1970s. Read your history and be amazed.