Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: New FTD's delivered

Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:03 am

Rob wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:"Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"

I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that. He could have easily gone into "Mystery Train" with that intro, and I kept waiting for him to.

Whoa! WHOA! Whoa! WHOA!
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoooooa.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2346&p=19413#p19413
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23623&p=280411#p280411
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44091&p=599063#p599063

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:04 am

I got my On Stage Season FTD today... I've listened to the opening show so far... and my honest opinion is that the Madison release sounds better. I will listen to the closing show later this evening.

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:"Frankfort Special" remake CD-2 has hints of "Mystery Train"

I wondered if anyone else would pick up on that. He could have easily gone into "Mystery Train" with that intro, and I kept waiting for him to.

Whoa! WHOA! Whoa! WHOA!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=23623&p=280411#p280411
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=44091&p=599063#p599063

Was it released on CLOSE UP doc?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:30 am

JEFF d wrote:I got my On Stage Season FTD today... I've listened to the opening show so far... and my honest opinion is that the Madison release sounds better. I will listen to the closing show later this evening.

JEFF d
EP fan

Porter must have been distracted on Opening Night and wasn't watching the sound levels on the tape recorder. This is understandable as he was focusing on making sure the PA showroom sound was perfect.

On the Madison bootleg of the Opening show, they apparently used some sort of digital filtering and noise reduction to reduce the crackly overmodulation distortion on Elvis' mic. However, this approach muffles the sound. The Madison is also heavily compressed which squashes the dynamics and creates fatigue.

It's true that the FTD has more audible distortion than the Madison; but that's a good thing for me. Vic Anesini kept the transients, "air" and dynamics of the master tape intact instead of digitally processing it and sucking the life out of the recording.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:36 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:
JEFF d wrote:I got my On Stage Season FTD today... I've listened to the opening show so far... and my honest opinion is that the Madison release sounds better. I will listen to the closing show later this evening.

JEFF d
EP fan

Porter must have been distracted on Opening Night and wasn't watching the sound levels on the tape recorder. This is understandable as he was focusing on making sure the PA showroom sound was perfect.

On the Madison bootleg of the Opening show, they apparently used some sort of digital filtering and noise reduction to reduce the crackly overmodulation distortion on Elvis' mic. However, this approach muffles the sound. The Madison is also heavily compressed which squashes the dynamics and creates fatigue.

Both are fine releases I would not hesitate in getting the FTD if you don't have these shows... but to my ears it was exact opposite I thought the "brightness" or "shrillness" of the FTD creates fatigue on my ears whereas the Madison release does not(for me). But this is all very subjective of course. It seems like Elvis' voice is more upfront on the FTD also... somehow

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 am

a mess of polk salad wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Whoa! WHOA! Whoa! WHOA!

No, the first outtake of "Frankfort Special" appeared on 1978's Elvis: A Legendary Performer, Volume 3. It was unused master take HO-13, taped April 27, 1960, and it was a lot better than the one RCA put on the soundtrack LP. It appears in great sound on FTD's Cafe Europa: G.I. Blues Vol. 1.

More from April 27 (takes HO-9 to HO-12) are on the new FTD, along with some of the May 6 remakes, done at a less frenetic speed. The Elvis: Close Up box set uses a few takes from the May 6 session.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:43 am

JEFF d wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:

JEFF d
EP fan

Both are fine releases I would not hesitate in getting the FTD if you don't have these shows... but to my ears it was exact opposite I thought the "brightness" or "shrillness" of the FTD creates fatigue on my ears whereas the Madison release does not(for me). But this is all very subjective of course. It seems like Elvis' voice is more upfront on the FTD also... somehow

JEFF d
EP fan

then u should not listen to rebooked.. that one has even more shrillness and even more brightness. now that DOES hurt ur ears.. FTD is between the Madison and Rebooked quality.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:53 am

I did not get the Rebooked set, I'm glad I didn't too. I'm still glad that FTD has released these shows for fans that don't have the luck to be able to get "import" cds... It is a fine release and worth any fans time!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rob wrote:

Whoa! WHOA! Whoa! WHOA!

No, the first outtake of "Frankfort Special" appeared on 1978's Elvis: A Legendary Performer, Volume 3. It was unused master take HO-13, taped April 27, 1960, and it was a lot better than the one RCA put on the soundtrack LP. It appears in great sound on FTD's Cafe Europa: G.I. Blues Vol. 1.

More from April 27 (takes HO-9 to HO-12) are on the new FTD, along with some of the May 6 remakes, done at a less frenetic speed. The Elvis: Close Up box set uses a few takes from the May 6 session.

Thanks doc.It's great to have so many recording sessions available from G.I Blues. He was in great voice and a great year for sure. Where do the FTDs stand in your appreciation? For me it doesn't come any better. Also a movie I wasn't overly keen on has now become a firm favourite - Thanks to FTD. Such a fascinating period and your encyclopaedic knowledge an enjoyable education. All aboard the 'Frankfort Special' before it runs out of juice... :D

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
a mess of polk salad wrote:Was it released on CLOSE UP doc?

Thanks doc.It's great to have so many recording sessions available from G.I Blues. He was in great voice and a great year for sure. Where do the FTDs stand in your appreciation? For me it doesn't come any better. Also a movie I wasn't overly keen on has now become a firm favourite - Thanks to FTD. Such a fascinating period and your encyclopedic knowledge an enjoyable education. All aboard the 'Frankfort Special' before it runs out of juice... :D

Thanks for the kind words.

The outtakes from "G.I. Blues" do make one appreciate Elvis' sheer talent and wonderful voice in 1960. Several of these songs aren't good enough to be Bobby Rydell album tracks, yet Presley makes them special, somehow.

Follow That Dream is truly a dream come true for deep Elvis fans all over the world. Over 100 releases since 1999, and they cover every aspect of his career -- something for everybody. FTD will not be around forever -- then again, neither will we -- so enjoy it while it lasts!

Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:05 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

So until now we have had the complete sessions for: Elvis´ Golden Records Vol 2 and G.I.Blues that are two worlds apart :roll:. One pure rock´n roll :smt035 and the other one light weight 60´s musical comedy :smt020. Don´t other recording sessions deserve the same treatment? :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:33 am

Presley sings a snippet of Ave Maria before Frankfort Special take 9.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Thanks doc.It's great to have so many recording sessions available from G.I Blues. He was in great voice and a great year for sure. Where do the FTDs stand in your appreciation? For me it doesn't come any better. Also a movie I wasn't overly keen on has now become a firm favourite - Thanks to FTD. Such a fascinating period and your encyclopedic knowledge an enjoyable education. All aboard the 'Frankfort Special' before it runs out of juice... :D

The outtakes from "G.I. Blues" do make one appreciate Elvis' sheer talent and wonderful voice in 1960. Several of these songs aren't good enough to be Bobby Rydell album tracks, yet Presley makes them special, somehow.

Follow That Dream is truly a dream come true for deep Elvis fans all over the world. Over 100 releases since 1999, and they cover every aspect of his career -- something for everybody. FTD will not be around forever -- then again, neither will we -- so enjoy it while it lasts!

That's great how you say the songs are not good enough to be on a Bobby Rydell album. Elvis does indeed make them special.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Just received the two FTD's, The GI Blues has blown me away sound wise, just listen to the master of 'Big Boots', no more humming or disturbing noise, just clear incredible full sound, you can hear every breath - beautiful ... what a remarkable job they did on these songs, outstanding!! But the 'new' acetate -take 14?- of Shoppin' Around has me puzzled. If I listed closely to Elvis' phrasing and singing it's sound too familiar like one of the earlier takes.The drums are clearly overdubbed and are a bit amateurish imo, it sounds a bit 'smelly', could it be that this Acetate is fake?!? Anyway, it's a fantastic release, great -time period- artwork with a nice booklet !
Last edited by memphisflash on Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:36 pm

JEFF d
EP fan

agree........

Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

That's great how you say the songs are not good enough to be on a Bobby Rydell album. Elvis does indeed make them special.

Interesting how Rydell is mentioned. I just picked up an old LP, Bobby Rydell Sings the hits of 1963. Rydell's interpretations of 12 big songs of the day. Meanwhile we got It Happened T The Worlds Fair. Amazing how the man wasted his talent when he was at his peak. Can you imagine Elvis doing Ruby Baby, etc. If only Elvis, if only.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:01 pm

The Whistling Blues instrumental is a joy -- anyone have any more info on this track? Was this used on the original film, and has this track been officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony before this FTD? It sounds like there is more than one lead guitarist (one guitar has a distinct neck pickup tone and the other a bridge pickup). Is that Scotty and Tiny trading licks back and forth? Anyone know who played which licks? And who is playing drums? Fontana, Bode or Mattinson?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:05 pm

monkboughtlunch wrote:The Whistling Blues instrumental is a joy -- anyone have any more info on this track? Was this used on the original film, and has this track been officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony before this FTD? It sounds like there is more than one lead guitarist (one guitar has a distinct neck pickup tone and the other a bridge pickup). Is that Scotty and Tiny trading licks back and forth? Anyone know who played which licks? And who is playing drums? Fontana, Bode or Mattinson?

I believe it's was played by the band just before "GI Blues", i think it was right after the scene when the sergeant picked out the redhead to be his date for the evening ...

Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:50 pm

memphisflash wrote:
monkboughtlunch wrote:The Whistling Blues instrumental is a joy -- anyone have any more info on this track? Was this used on the original film, and has this track been officially released by RCA/BMG/Sony before this FTD? It sounds like there is more than one lead guitarist (one guitar has a distinct neck pickup tone and the other a bridge pickup). Is that Scotty and Tiny trading licks back and forth? Anyone know who played which licks? And who is playing drums? Fontana, Bode or Mattinson?

I believe it's was played by the band just before "GI Blues", i think it was right after the scene when the sergeant picked out the redhead to be his date for the evening ...

Will check later. Watched it in HD Friday night - brilliant!!
Is TALES FROM THE VIENNA WOODS instrumental in the film?

Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:45 pm

memphisflash wrote:

Will check later. Watched it in HD Friday night - brilliant!!
Is TALES FROM THE VIENNA WOODS instrumental in the film?

The melody of "Tales From The Vienna Woods" composed by Johann Strauss in 1868 was used for the European market version of G.I. Blues instead of "Tonight Is So Right For Love" based on the melody of "Bacarole" composed by Offenbach in the 19 Century and used for the USA market :wink:.

Due to a copyright issue, the lyrics were altered and new melody used and then released as a new title: "Tonight´s All Right For Love". Although I prefer "Tonight Is So Right For Love", please check this super rare alternate movie clip used in Europe for the G.I. Blues print, which contains "Tonight Is All Right For Love" 8). Bye for now :smt006.

phpBB [video]

P.S: For more cool info please check the most accurate and updated Elvis Recording site: http://www.keithflynn.com/recording-ses ... 00506.html.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:01 pm

Thanks Mike.
Fascinating stuff.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

a mess of polk salad wrote:Thanks Mike.
Fascinating stuff.

You´re welcome!. G.I.Blues is my all time favourite Elvis´60´s movie and soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Fascinating stuff.

You´re welcome!. G.I.Blues is my all time favourite Elvis´60´s movie and soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

One of my favourite all-time FTD vinyls -

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Fascinating stuff.

One of my favourite all-time FTD vinyls -

image.jpg

I don´t have it as I have all the Elvis USA original lp´s from the 50´s, 60´s and 70´s :wink:. This is my original USA LPM-2256 G.I.Blues with the super rare red Wooden Heart sticker in Near Mint condition 8).

I hardly buy FTD lp´s, I only have: Viva Las Vegas, Guitar Man and Standing Room Only. If ever a FTD vinyl release comes out of Memphis Tennessee I will buy it as well. Thanks for posting!. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:35 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:G.I.Blues is my all time favourite Elvis´60´s movie and soundtrack 8)

I always thought it was "Fun In Acapulco" :o