Post here your Elvis' pictures

Thunder In the Night - August 1970

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:14 pm

Just for the fun of it, although nothing to do with the bootleg CD - always thought this was a fitting title for the series of shots below.

As it's known, in 1970 MGM filmed Elvis from August 10 until August 13 DS with multiple pro cameras, and then returned for 'additional angles' on 14-15. That leaves us an "empty slot" at August 13 MS and I've always believed these photos come from that show. MGM apparently sent only a photographer to capture the show and that he did - this is probably not even close to half of the photos they took that night but it's a cool little display of Elvis in action... looks to be performing "Polk Salad Annie".

Unfortunately I have the shots in (very) varying quality so decided to make an even display going by the smallest shot in the lot. If anyone has any additions, feel free to post... haven't found any new ones for this particular "action moment" in quite a while but I'm sure there are plenty - not even counting the shots from the rest of the show.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Re: Thunder In the Night - August 1970

Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Stunning set, thank you.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:06 pm

Aren't these Sherif Hanna shots? I swear some of these were in the FTD book "The Way It Was". Fabulous shots regardless!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:19 pm

Nice photos, very tiny though. What indicates to you these are from the 8-13-1970 MS?

Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:31 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice photos, very tiny though. What indicates to you these are from the 8-13-1970 MS?

A combination of many things. We know MGM was there from August 10th until August 15th, and basically all other possibilities are 'taken'. What separates these shots from the other shows where Elvis wore the "chain" suit (Aug. 11&12 MS, 14 MS) is the belt; below is a HQ photo from the same show where you can see that the belt is indeed a bit different - it has "chains" like in the suit itself going all the way through it, something we don't see in any of the known MGM footage.

So basically if you go through all shows we know MGM 'covered' (some more than the others), August 13 MS is the only possibility. Of course there's always the possibility of them coming back after the 15th but I think it would be more logical for them to snap some photos during the show that was in-between the full shows (Aug. 10 - 13 DS) and the 'additional angles/footage' shows (Aug. 14 - 15 (DS)).

1970-08-13-ms__3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:22 pm

These are great shots, but we can't be sure 100% that these came from August 13 MS. For example, according to Francesc's site, Elvis wore Fringe Jumpsuit on August 13 MS. This may be wrong, of course, but the truth is these photos can be from any August season show (except those we know what suit he wore)
Here's another two photos from that show (i suppose)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:02 am

Yes, just like I more or less hinted on my previous post. Francesc probably got his date from the old EWJ research which was a really well researched TTWII page. Shame it's not working properly (majority of pages missing) anymore but the front page still shows that they didn't have Aug 13 MS fully confirmed --> http://www.biwa.ne.jp/~presley/ttwii/ttwii.htm

I'm sure the photos are no fan snaps as one of them (from the opening post) was used as a postcard at the International, not to mention no fan would've been allowed to take that much photos anyway. And if you really think about it, why would MGM (/RCA?) return on some random date after the 15th just to get photos since they had a perfect opportunity to get everything they wanted between August 10 - 15 --> from the OS to August 15 DS, that's a full ten shows(!) to film/photograph what you need. If we stay within that "time frame", the 13 MS should be the only possibility. The next known time they came back was for the September 9 Phoenix show.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:50 pm

Well, if i think more, i guess you're right. I didn't think before about that card from International, and i have it on my desk (for real, i have it on my desk!) :D
Yes, they didn't use for sure a fan photo as a post card, so these photos are made by an "official".
And the only blank date from TTWII is August 13 MS.
Thank you for your research, great job :smt006

Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:11 am

hilton22000 wrote:Well, if i think more, i guess you're right. I didn't think before about that card from International, and i have it on my desk (for real, i have it on my desk!) :D
Yes, they didn't use for sure a fan photo as a post card, so these photos are made by an "official".
And the only blank date from TTWII is August 13 MS.
Thank you for your research, great job :smt006

Talk about coincidences I have it on mine as well. Also funny that I never gave any thought to when it was taken.

Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 pm

onelove wrote:Just for the fun of it, although nothing to do with the bootleg CD - always thought this was a fitting title for the series of shots below.

As it's known, in 1970 MGM filmed Elvis from August 10 until August 13 DS with multiple pro cameras, and then returned for 'additional angles' on 14-15. That leaves us an "empty slot" at August 13 MS and I've always believed these photos come from that show. MGM apparently sent only a photographer to capture the show and that he did - this is probably not even close to half of the photos they took that night but it's a cool little display of Elvis in action... looks to be performing "Polk Salad Annie".

Unfortunately I have the shots in (very) varying quality so decided to make an even display going by the smallest shot in the lot. If anyone has any additions, feel free to post... haven't found any new ones for this particular "action moment" in quite a while but I'm sure there are plenty - not even counting the shots from the rest of the show.

Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image

Cool, I never even noticed the different belt.
With yours I´ve got a total of 22 photos from this show now.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk