Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: The Nation's Favourite Elvis Song - UK

Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:03 am

Sony will be:

TV advertising from Fri 8th - £100k+ from 8th – 15th November

Utilising posters (Rail 6 sheets and ASDA 6 sheets) from the 4th

Utilising Press ads (The Sun and Express on Sat 9th)

Organising Press – reviews and features - all being confirmed at the moment.

Making album available in all supermarkets including BHS plus HMV etc.

Digital marketing (bingo and gambling plus facebook)

Featuring 60” radio ads on Absolute Radio 60s, Magic 105.4 and Total Smooth Radio from 8th

Having a karaoke roadshow (being announced next week) but going to Blackpool, Birmingham, London and Cardiff.

Brian

Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:09 pm

Want to win a copy of the album:

http://www.music-news.com/showcompetiti ... ionID=3335

Brian

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:18 pm

Thanks for all the updates Brian. Good to see a push on the album by Sony.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Thanks Brian

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:19 pm

I have today been perusing all the TV guides for w/e 8th November, most have this programme as their 'pick of the day' and a couple with photo features.
Last edited by Chris Roberts on Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:50 pm

Chris Roberts wrote:I have today been perusing all the TV guides for w/e 8th November, most have this programme as their 'pick of the day' and a couple with photo features.

TV and Satellite week have a (nearly) double page spread on the programme

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:47 pm

KAROAKE ROADSHOW TO VISIT:

BLACKPOOL – 6/11 at Coral Island (3pm – 6pm)
BIRMINGHAM – 7/11 at Rotunda Square (5pm – 8pm)
LONDON – 8/11 at Westfield White City (4pm – 7pm)
CARDIFF – 9/11 at Queen St/ Churchill Way (1pm – 4pm)

It’s Now or Never as Elvis fans across the country get the chance to belt out their favourite song by The King in a one-off special Karaoke Roadshow, launched to celebrate the release of the definitive Elvis Presley collection, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs. The album is released via Sony Music on 4 November and available on CD, deluxe double CD and download.

The first of its kind, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs Roadshow Karaoke! will take to the road in Blackpool on Wednesday 6 November, before visiting Birmingham, London and finishing in Cardiff on Saturday 9 November. Featuring 20 songs taken from the album, Elvis fans have the chance to show the UK what they‘ve got by singing ‘Suspicious Minds’, ‘Love Me Tender’, ‘In The Ghetto’, ‘The Wonder Of You’, Jailhouse Rock’ and many more. But will they get crowds ‘All Shook Up’ or end up in the ‘Heartbreak Hotel’?

Fans also have the opportunity to enter an amazing competition to win a trip for two to Graceland in Memphis, home of The King. Full details will be at facebook.com/FavouriteElvisSongs from 4th November.

Elvis Presley forever changed the world both musically and culturally and is one of the single most important figures in 20th century popular music. He holds the record for Most Hit Singles on The US Chart, Most Top 10 Albums On The UK Chart and still holds the record for the Most No. 1 Singles in the UK with 21 hits. His legacy and unforgettable style continues to shine and influence generations.

The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs – a 20 track collection - features some of the biggest hits and finest songs ever recorded and performed by the king of Rock ‘n’ Roll. The album is released to coincide with ITV1’s The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song, a countdown of 20 of The King’s best tracks as voted for by the public. The show airs on Friday 8 November at 9pm.

Source: The OEPFC of Great Britain / Updated: Oct 31, 2013

Brian

Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:28 am

Obviously the cover art reflects the TV shows graphics but boy it's uninspired and cheap looking.
Hope the TV show does well though and helps rekindle an interest in Elvis that has been missing for a few years.

norrie

Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:29 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:KAROAKE ROADSHOW TO VISIT:

It’s Now or Never as Elvis fans across the country get the chance to belt out their favourite song by The King in a one-off special Karaoke Roadshow, launched to celebrate the release of the definitive Elvis Presley collection, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs. The album is released via Sony Music on 4 November and available on CD, deluxe double CD and download.

The first of its kind, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs Roadshow Karaoke! will take to the road in Blackpool on Wednesday 6 November, before visiting Birmingham, London and finishing in Cardiff on Saturday 9 November. Featuring 20 songs taken from the album, Elvis fans have the chance to show the UK what they‘ve got by singing ‘Suspicious Minds’, ‘Love Me Tender’, ‘In The Ghetto’, ‘The Wonder Of You’, Jailhouse Rock’ and many more. But will they get crowds ‘All Shook Up’ or end up in the ‘Heartbreak Hotel’?

Fans also have the opportunity to enter an amazing competition to win a trip for two to Graceland in Memphis, home of The King. Full details will be at facebook.com/FavouriteElvisSongs from 4th November.

Elvis Presley forever changed the world both musically and culturally and is one of the single most important figures in 20th century popular music. He holds the record for Most Hit Singles on The US Chart, Most Top 10 Albums On The UK Chart and still holds the record for the Most No. 1 Singles in the UK with 21 hits. His legacy and unforgettable style continues to shine and influence generations.

The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Songs – a 20 track collection - features some of the biggest hits and finest songs ever recorded and performed by the king of Rock ‘n’ Roll. The album is released to coincide with ITV1’s The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song, a countdown of 20 of The King’s best tracks as voted for by the public. The show airs on Friday 8 November at 9pm.

Brian

will the cd be available to buy at Blackpool Brian?

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:44 am

debtd1 wrote:
Brian Quinn wrote:KAROAKE ROADSHOW TO VISIT:

Brian

will the cd be available to buy at Blackpool Brian?

Deb,

It should be available to buy everywhere as from the 4th November, including supermarkets and HMV etc. Not sure if it will be on sale at the karaoke in Blackpool.

Brian

Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:48 am

That's for sure! :)
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79884

Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:01 pm

In the UK Midweek Album Charts yesterday (5th)(following one day's sale) 'The Nations Favourite Elvis Songs' album entered at No.50. Today it is No.44. It must be remembered that this is without any promotion which does not start in earnest until after the TV programme this Friday. I expect sales to pick up next week but in effect this means that they will have been split over two weeks leading to a lower chart position than would have been the norm.

Brian

Re: The Nation's Favourite Elvis Songs - UK

Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:55 pm

Both the Nation's Favourite Elvis Song TV special, and the album, are being promoted heavily during the morning on ITV -- mostly in conjunction with Daybreak, where clips and stills are being used several times daily during their show.

Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:41 pm

Excellent. I'm looking forward to the TV show and I hope the album is a huge seller.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:53 pm

Win a copy of the album:

http://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/what-s-on ... -1-5660365

Brian

Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:07 pm

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/columnists/mike-ward/349014/The-Nation-s-Favourite-Elvis-Song-has-made-me-see-the-light

The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song has made me see the light
I'LL be honest with you, it’s quite rare for me to experience a blinding epiphany while watching an ITV entertainment show.

Elvis Presley, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis SongLEGEND: Elvis Presley really was extraordinarily special [AP]
But that’s pretty much the effect The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song has had on me. I’m not kidding.

Elvis Presley, it’s finally struck me, in a moment of startling realisation, really was extraordinarily special. His squillions of adoring fans have been right all along. Why has it taken me all this time to twig? What kind of cloth-eared ninny am I?

Before you go: “Hang on, what show are you talking about, Mike? Did I miss it? When was it on? Why didn’t you tell us, you four-eyed fatso?”, let me just explain I’ve been watching a sneak preview.

The programme isn’t actually being broadcast on ITV until this Friday night, November 8, at 9pm. So hey, no need to panic.

I’ll remind you again on the day, in that thing I write in the paper.

But yes, daft as it sounds, watching this preview really has had a powerful effect on me.

It’s not because we’re talking about a particularly ground-breaking piece of television here (as you’ll see, on face value it’s just another of those countdown shows – old clips, assorted talking heads, a Top 20 that nobody had particularly asked for, based on who knows what criteria exactly…), but simply because it’s bombarded me, for 90-odd minutes, with remarkable, mesmerising footage of a performer I grew up thinking was a bit naff.

Now, to anyone who’s a proper hardcore fan of Elvis Presley, let me instantly apologise for thinking / saying that. I do appreciate it’s bordering on sacrilege. And like I say, I’ve seen the light now. Hallelujah.

But you have to understand that’s just the way it used to be. To me, and to my mates, Elvis Presley wasn’t the radical, smouldering, snake-hipped young rock’n’roll icon that a previous generation would remember him as.

Elvis Presley performed with a kind of magic [AP]
“The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song (ITV) is on Friday November 8 at 9pm”
Mention the name Elvis to us and we’d just think of a deceased, overweight cabaret artist who used to stomp around the stage in a daft white jumpsuit. Cheesy, wheezy, embarrassing and deeply uncool. There was just no connection to us kids. Why would there be? Hey, we were into cool, cutting-edge stuff, right?

Like I say, if you’re a proper Elvis fan, I’m really sorry for such idiocy. Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry. But look, I’m just recalling the ignorance of youth here. Youth and the sort of narrow-minded music snobbery that often goes hand in hand with it.

The trouble is, it’s sometimes hard to shake off that kind of blinkered attitude. So, over the years, my views on Elvis haven’t really changed, mostly because I’ve had no particular reason to reconsider them.

We all do this a lot, don’t we? Yes, we do, don’t lie. We’re forever pigeon-holing the people and things we come across in our lives – making a knee-jerk decision as to what we feel about them, then stubbornly refusing to budge. It’s because it’s easier that way.

Let’s face it, there aren’t enough hours in the day to keep reassessing stuff. And besides, we like to tell ourselves that sticking rigidly to an opinion, come what may, is a sign of strength. Even though it usually just means you’re a narrow-minded jerk.

So, yes, suddenly being bombarded now with so many clips of Elvis – performing songs such as Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel, Suspicious Minds, Always On My Mind, The Wonder Of You etc. – has been a chance for me to finally challenge my lazy, petty prejudices.

And I’m so glad I did, because if you really love music (and anyone who doesn’t is deeply dubious, if you ask me), you should be opening up your mind to every kind of music imaginable. Sod what’s cool. Bugger fashion.

The simple fact is, those were, and are, superb pop songs. And when Elvis Presley performed them, he injected them with a kind of magic.

Watching the old concert clips, even the later ones, when the guy clearly wasn’t at the peak of health, I now see a man with a unique gift for keeping his audience spellbound.

Even at a stage in his career when he could have got away with just going through the motions, he looked as though he was giving it absolutely everything, feeding off the crowd’s adoration. It was as if he wasn’t so much singing the songs as living them, even if it physically hurt.

There’s one particular clip of him performing Suspicious Minds that almost reminds me of one of those wild religious US preachers, whipping his audience into a near-frenzy. In the wrong hands, that could be scary. In Elvis’s, it just looks like the greatest gig you could ever wish to attend.

I’m not suggesting I’ve become the world’s greatest Elvis Presley obsessive overnight. I shan’t be making a pilgrimage to Graceland anytime soon.

It’s just that, thanks to immersing myself in so much superb old footage, I really do think I get it now.

And I can’t help thinking we should all take time to do this, now and again. Stop to reassess something or someone you’ve had a pig-headed opinion on for too many years. Open your mind and just see what floods in.

Next up, I might try changing my mind about Gordon Ramsay.

Admittedly, that could take a little longer.

* The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song (ITV) is on Friday November 8 at 9pm.

Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:03 pm

KevinK wrote:http://www.dailystar.co.uk/columnists/mike-ward/349014/The-Nation-s-Favourite-Elvis-Song-has-made-me-see-the-light

The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song has made me see the light
I'LL be honest with you, it’s quite rare for me to experience a blinding epiphany while watching an ITV entertainment show.

Elvis Presley, The Nation’s Favourite Elvis SongLEGEND: Elvis Presley really was extraordinarily special [AP]
But that’s pretty much the effect The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song has had on me. I’m not kidding.

Elvis Presley, it’s finally struck me, in a moment of startling realisation, really was extraordinarily special. His squillions of adoring fans have been right all along. Why has it taken me all this time to twig? What kind of cloth-eared ninny am I?

Before you go: “Hang on, what show are you talking about, Mike? Did I miss it? When was it on? Why didn’t you tell us, you four-eyed fatso?”, let me just explain I’ve been watching a sneak preview.

The programme isn’t actually being broadcast on ITV until this Friday night, November 8, at 9pm. So hey, no need to panic.

I’ll remind you again on the day, in that thing I write in the paper.

But yes, daft as it sounds, watching this preview really has had a powerful effect on me.

It’s not because we’re talking about a particularly ground-breaking piece of television here (as you’ll see, on face value it’s just another of those countdown shows – old clips, assorted talking heads, a Top 20 that nobody had particularly asked for, based on who knows what criteria exactly…), but simply because it’s bombarded me, for 90-odd minutes, with remarkable, mesmerising footage of a performer I grew up thinking was a bit naff.

Now, to anyone who’s a proper hardcore fan of Elvis Presley, let me instantly apologise for thinking / saying that. I do appreciate it’s bordering on sacrilege. And like I say, I’ve seen the light now. Hallelujah.

But you have to understand that’s just the way it used to be. To me, and to my mates, Elvis Presley wasn’t the radical, smouldering, snake-hipped young rock’n’roll icon that a previous generation would remember him as.

Elvis Presley performed with a kind of magic [AP]
“The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song (ITV) is on Friday November 8 at 9pm”
Mention the name Elvis to us and we’d just think of a deceased, overweight cabaret artist who used to stomp around the stage in a daft white jumpsuit. Cheesy, wheezy, embarrassing and deeply uncool. There was just no connection to us kids. Why would there be? Hey, we were into cool, cutting-edge stuff, right?

Like I say, if you’re a proper Elvis fan, I’m really sorry for such idiocy. Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry. But look, I’m just recalling the ignorance of youth here. Youth and the sort of narrow-minded music snobbery that often goes hand in hand with it.

The trouble is, it’s sometimes hard to shake off that kind of blinkered attitude. So, over the years, my views on Elvis haven’t really changed, mostly because I’ve had no particular reason to reconsider them.

We all do this a lot, don’t we? Yes, we do, don’t lie. We’re forever pigeon-holing the people and things we come across in our lives – making a knee-jerk decision as to what we feel about them, then stubbornly refusing to budge. It’s because it’s easier that way.

Let’s face it, there aren’t enough hours in the day to keep reassessing stuff. And besides, we like to tell ourselves that sticking rigidly to an opinion, come what may, is a sign of strength. Even though it usually just means you’re a narrow-minded jerk.

So, yes, suddenly being bombarded now with so many clips of Elvis – performing songs such as Jailhouse Rock, Heartbreak Hotel, Suspicious Minds, Always On My Mind, The Wonder Of You etc. – has been a chance for me to finally challenge my lazy, petty prejudices.

And I’m so glad I did, because if you really love music (and anyone who doesn’t is deeply dubious, if you ask me), you should be opening up your mind to every kind of music imaginable. Sod what’s cool. Bugger fashion.

The simple fact is, those were, and are, superb pop songs. And when Elvis Presley performed them, he injected them with a kind of magic.

Watching the old concert clips, even the later ones, when the guy clearly wasn’t at the peak of health, I now see a man with a unique gift for keeping his audience spellbound.

Even at a stage in his career when he could have got away with just going through the motions, he looked as though he was giving it absolutely everything, feeding off the crowd’s adoration. It was as if he wasn’t so much singing the songs as living them, even if it physically hurt.

There’s one particular clip of him performing Suspicious Minds that almost reminds me of one of those wild religious US preachers, whipping his audience into a near-frenzy. In the wrong hands, that could be scary. In Elvis’s, it just looks like the greatest gig you could ever wish to attend.

I’m not suggesting I’ve become the world’s greatest Elvis Presley obsessive overnight. I shan’t be making a pilgrimage to Graceland anytime soon.

It’s just that, thanks to immersing myself in so much superb old footage, I really do think I get it now.

And I can’t help thinking we should all take time to do this, now and again. Stop to reassess something or someone you’ve had a pig-headed opinion on for too many years. Open your mind and just see what floods in.

Next up, I might try changing my mind about Gordon Ramsay.

Admittedly, that could take a little longer.

* The Nation’s Favourite Elvis Song (ITV) is on Friday November 8 at 9pm.

Good for Mike! And if he does ever go to Memphis, i'm sure he would love it. What a great story it would read if he covered Elvis Week one year.
There are quite a few Elvis related snippets on UK TV at the moment, not just the Album and TV show adds but Viva Las Vegas is being used as music to advertise a forth-coming series set in Las Vegas and another song is being used in a TV commercial but i can't remember which one. Back to the TV show, it would be awesome if the recently released Hawaii footage is included somehow but it's unlikely to be.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:10 am

Just seen the cd advertised for the first time 8) 8)

Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:35 am

Checking in with Amazon, the single-disc edition is currently at #673 in the "music" category:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... B00EL015YK

But the 2-disc deluxe edition is at a more pleasing #158:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00E ... B00EL015ZE

In contrast, the new Beatles at the BBC album is at #20, ahead of its release next week. Cliff's new one also debuts next week and is currently at #'19. These figures will all change regularly of course.

Hopefully tonight's show will prompt a real spike in sales for the Elvis album. I can imagine a lot of Elvis fans not bothering buying it though, as it will be seen as yet another greatest hits compilation. The more casual buyer might pick it up, but even then there are a huge number who already have an Elvis greatest hits (in the form of the 30 number ones album).

Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:59 pm

Let's hope they show some 1956 TV versions of the hits of that year and not the watered down 1970s versions.

Also I hope that any other TV clips (Aloha and 68 Special) are tastefully cropped to widescreen and not stretched, a major pet hate of mine ! I'd preferably have them displayed as 4:3, but that's unlikely to happen.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:14 pm

is it possible to watch this online?

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:51 pm

Steve Morse wrote:Also I hope that any other TV clips (Aloha and 68 Special) are tastefully cropped to widescreen and not stretched, a major pet hate of mine ! I'd preferably have them displayed as 4:3, but that's unlikely to happen.

I'd expect that from a certain low budget Irish TV Channel I won't name (okay then, TV3), but not from the BBC. Surely in this day and age they'd have the correct aspect ratios..no? It's also a pet hate of mine.

Edit - Just realised it's ITV not BBC.. all bets are off in that case.
Last edited by KevinK on Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Fabbe wrote:is it possible to watch this online?

After the event, it'll most likely be on BBC Player, but I think there are country restrictions, depending where you are.

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:07 pm

The album is No.35 in today's UK chart.

Brian

Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:12 pm

KevinK wrote:
Fabbe wrote:is it possible to watch this online?

After the event, it'll most likely be on BBC Player, but I think there are country restrictions, depending where you are.

Thank you !