Chat talk and light discussion

Re: last movie you watched

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:54 am

Over the weekend I watched Psycho 1,2,3 and noticed a bit of a nod to Elvis in Psycho 3 Anthony Perkins was a big EP fan

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 am

keninlincs wrote:Over the weekend I watched Psycho 1,2,3 and noticed a bit of a nod to Elvis in Psycho 3 Anthony Perkins was a big EP fan

Those sequels are likely to pale into insignificance with the wonderful Bates Motel now on our screens!

Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:42 am

poormadpeter wrote:
keninlincs wrote:Over the weekend I watched Psycho 1,2,3 and noticed a bit of a nod to Elvis in Psycho 3 Anthony Perkins was a big EP fan

Those sequels are likely to pale into insignificance with the wonderful Bates Motel now on our screens!

Thoroughly enjoyed the 1st season

Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:48 pm

rjm wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
rjm wrote:How awful! ;) We only want films about doomed stars! Death's Dark Lonely Highway!

What's WRONG with that filmmaker? !

LOL!!!!!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

No, every film centres around problems or conflicts, even comedies. Films about nice people doing nice things that they enjoy aren't exactly riveting!

Well, part-ways. You must have something to overcome.

I guess "It's A Wonderful Life" is dark, for much of the film, but the ending is pure joy! Even the people who became "bad" under Potter were super-nice with George in the world.

I cry happy tears every year!

Oh, uh . . .

Ferris Bueller's Day Off is not dark at all. Love it. ;)

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

Ha, loved that movie to bits!!

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:55 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I took a rare trip to the cinema tonight to see Sinister, from the makers of Insidious - which I really thought should be retitled "Insipid". Thankfully, Sinister is considerably better than that film, and is aided and abetted by a fine performance from a rather grizzled-looking Ethan Hawke (man, has he aged badly!). Hawke plays a writer of true-crime books, investigating the disappearance of a little girl. In his family's new house (where the lost girl lived), he finds a box of home movies up in the loft and, after he watches them, strange things start to happen. There are moments within he film where credibility is stretched - considering how much Hawke bangs and clatters his way around the house in the middle of the night as he searches for the reason for strange noises etc, one must wonder if all of his family are deaf or sleep with ear-plugs in. However, the film is genuinely creepy, and manages to be so without resorting to the blood and gore that is common in so many horror films these days. There are some fun "shock" moments, which resulted in a scream or two in the cinema. But, most importantly, it provides a reasonably good final quarter of an hour without resorting to the weird "whoa, this is getting silly now" of Insidious. There are still loose ends and plot-holes, but it doesn't really matter. It's a fine film and a horror film that basically does what it says on the tin.

I watched Sinister last night and agree with your assertion, and as one who can predict a jump scare a mile off, found this film to be genuinely creepy.

I need to watch this film again, alone and in complete darkness.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:59 pm

Went to see filth at the cinema today,did not like it,will not get that 2 hours back !!!

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:46 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Snake Eyes wrote:I'm not bragging, but I've seen One Direction: This Is Us. A couple of Elvis references thrown in as the start of the film looks at the members early years. Harry Styles dressed as Elvis for a performance when he was a kid. They also played at MSG and in the dressing rooms, the image of Elvis, arms and cape outstretched is clearly visible.

To top this off, I've been told I'm taking my niece, her friend and my little girl to their concert at Wembley Arena next year. Yay! :shock:

While I confess I wouldn't pay money to see the 1D film, I am rather interested in viewing it at some point. The director, Morgan Spurlock, is a very interesting choice for such a mainstream project considering his previous films are a mix of the quirky and (in some cases) provocative. Of course, the directors of Elvis on Tour were also an interesting choice and yet they failed to make the film the great revealing documentary that it could have been.

Reviews suggest that Spurlock has made what is ultimately a bland, commercial film. My guess is he had a thankless task; unless he was able to find and reveal some dark side to 1D this was always going to be a straightforward film for the fans. The problem is that there appears not to be a particularly dark side to the group, and they seem to handle fame and fans very well. Their behaviour isn't erratic in the way that Justin Bieber's has been in recent months, for example. They simply seem like decent lads making music aimed at their fans and doing it rather well. What do you do when you're an edgy filmmaker and have a documentary to make about nice guys making nice music and dealing with fame and fans in a nice way?

If it wasn't for my little girl, I can honestly say that I wouldn't have paid to see it either. They are nice boys and if you're a fan, it's a good way to spend an hour and a half of your life. However, twenty minutes in and I was checking my watch.

There are no great revelations, except my impression that Harry Styles despises a particular member of the group. How telling that I've seen enough footage elsewhere to even come to this conclusion?

Still, I like them enough to brave their impending UK tour.

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:22 pm

I watched Jaws last night -- "Smile you sonofafish"

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Watched all three "The Hangover" movies over the weekend. I think they're totally unfunny anyway. Didn't laugh once, except on part three.

That said, somehow I enjoyed the final part which is more of a "thriller" than a comedy. And slowly but surely I start to like Bradley Cooper although his role in "The Hangover Part III" was somehow replaceable.

Whoa, 38,000 views on this thread now...

Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:50 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Watched all three "The Hangover" movies over the weekend. I think they're totally unfunny anyway. Didn't laugh once, except on part three.

That said, somehow I enjoyed the final part which is more of a "thriller" than a comedy. And slowly but surely I start to like Bradley Cooper although his role in "The Hangover Part III" was somehow replaceable.

Whoa, 38,000 views on this thread now...

Must admit i love the hangover movies.the first 2 are just so funny 3rd one not so much !!!

Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:28 am

Last night watched "The Monkeys Paw"utter rubbish

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:41 pm

"Don't Look Now" ....a 1973 thriller starring Donald Sutherland & Julie Christie.

Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Escape plan.......Stallone and
Schwarzenneger doing what they do best

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 2

Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:50 pm

"Fun With Dick & Jane" (1977) starring George Segal & Jane Fonda. Hilarious.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:03 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbG3IkvJUfo[/youtube]Last night i watched Ryan Reynolds and Jeff Bridges in R.I.P.D a very good film(Jeff sings quite well too)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:37 pm

Gladiator. Loved that movie!

Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:42 pm

Yesterday, i watched Monster in Law ... Jane Fonda and Jennifer Lopez

Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Mama

Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Went to see Sunshine on Leith today what a fantastic movie.hope this is a start of more scottish films showing the real scotland ! not about drugs and Violence.but about our humor,our culture,our wonderful city's(in this case edinburgh)hope this is a template of scottish movies of the future ! a must see !!!

phpBB [video]

And a little bit of scotland !!!

phpBB [video]

Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:00 pm

This week I saw Captain Phillips, Le Weekend, Escape Plan and Nosferatu at the cinema. Captain Phillips, directed by Paul Greengrass and starring Tom Hanks, offers a straightforward premise expertly told and in a thrilling manner. Here, Hanks is the eponymous Captain Phillips, whose cargo ship is boarded by Somali pirates as it routes the horn of Africa. The pirates, played by newcomers, Faysal Ahmed, Barkhad Abdirahman and Barkhad Abdi bring the kind of genuine menace and intensity a film like this thrives on. Hanks raises his game tremendously because of that and Greengrass puts every moment at sea on a knife edge as danger looms large and threat becomes immediate and real. Greengrass' direction is excellent throughout, with Phillips and his crew given nowhere to run or hide in a cruel juxtaposition of open sea and closed compartments on a giant vessel. The political undertones of the story are never pushed ahead of the narrative, although, my one complaint would be that more back story on the pirates would have afforded that bit more depth. However, the climax packs a wallop. Hanks should be Oscar nominated here, as should his primary antagonist, Barkhad Abdi, Greengrass for direction, Henry Jackman's foreboding score and the film, itself.

Le Weekend, directed by Roger Mitchell, is a smartly-written, funny and, at times, acerbic, romantic comedy/melodrama, starring Lindsay Duncan and Jim Broadbent. Here, playing a couple who are spending a weekend in Paris as a means of rejuvenating their marriage and capturing some of the magic from time spent there before. Immediately, nothing goes to plan and romance turns to bickering, teasing, hijinx and a chance encounter with an old friend, played by Jeff Goldblum. Shot on location in Paris, the scenery and sights are a treat in themselves, whilst Hanif Kureishi's script hits most of the right notes. In a way, Le Weekend is akin to an older version of Richard Linklater's wonderful Jesse/Celine trilogy -- if not nearly as good. But it's still a fine film with much to offer those seeking a more mature, lingering romantic comedy that rings true and presents realistic characters and genuine situations.

Escape Plan finally brings Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger together in a fully-fledged on-screen pairing. Unfortunately, this isn't a film with a great pedigree despite the stature of its two leads. And that comes to show in a high-concept action film that thrives and succeeds only on the strength of Sly and Arnold. The story, of a prison breaking expert who voluntarily gets locked up, and escapes, but has been tricked into a job with no apparent escape, has shades of a 1992 Robert Redford vehicle called Sneakers. In that film, Redford hacked into bank computers systems, showing where faults lay and how they could be fixed. He's stitched up along the way, as is Stallone's Ray Breslin, when he's put into a super high-security prison that's, seemingly, inescapable. Within its walls are the usual stock characters that habitat prison movies of this type -- a dictatorial warden (Jim Caviezal), his henchman-like head guard (Vinnie Jones), inner-prison factions and an old con whose help proves indispensable (Schwarzenegger). The action unfolds both inside and outside the prison walls, as Breslin tries to escape and his colleagues, played by Amy Ryan and Curtis Jackson, try to find out where he is and who set him up. It's generic to a fault other than the times in which Arnold and Stallone share scenes -- one particular scene, in which Arnold speaks German, incredibly reveals something new in his abilities after all these years. This is the most compelling part of the film, in my opinion. Whilst, Stallone gives one of his quietest, most introverted performances in some time, as a man always thinking, looking and biding his time within an environment that's hostile, unfamiliar and challenging. It's a pity, then, that so-so writing and direction lets it down. Caviezel is wasted here, as is Sam Neil as the prison doctor, although Vinnie Jones seems to relish in what he does well, which is shouting and grimacing. But, for all its flaws, I liked Escape Plan and didn't come away with a bitter taste or any disdain. It' nuts and bolts stuff, with a few surprises, some good laughs and enough action to please.

Newly restored from a patchwork of elements, F.W. Murnau's classic 1922 take on Bram Stoker's Dracula probably hasn't looked this good since the 1920s. The print still has some problems, but this film will never look better and to see it on the big screen is a real treat. Granted, some of the film's power to scare has been diminished over the years, but the imagery is compelling and Max Schreck's performance remains powerful, creepy and engrossing. Nosferatu's influence and design, both with regards to its narrative and imagery, still retain an influence on contemporary horror, if indirectly so. Whilst, Hans Erdmann's brilliant score was great to hear in all its glory.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Great post as always greystoke and good to have you back mate.went to see escape Plan this morning i enjoyed it a little slow at times but it was great to see stallone & schwarzenegger star in a movie together !!!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:32 pm

rocknroller wrote:Went to see Sunshine on Leith today what a fantastic movie.hope this is a start of more scottish films showing the real scotland ! not about drugs and Violence.but about our humor,our culture,our wonderful city's(in this case edinburgh)hope this is a template of scottish movies of the future ! a must see !!!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I'll also give a thumbs up to Sunshine on Leith, rocknroller. It wasn't perfect, and presented a romanticised Edinburgh that's sure to do wonders for the tourist trade, but it's immediately enjoyable, highly infectious and very endearing. Yes, it's predictable, given the songs and where they're bound to fit, or how they would be used, but the Proclaimers' catalogue is more than suitable for this kind of treatment. Equal to that of ABBA's, given comparisons to Mamma Mia. And kudos to Dexter Fletcher's direction and managing to keep such a busy and lively film together. Great performances, too. Including Peter Mullan, who may have been more at home in Filth, but showed how comfortable and diverse this superb actor is.

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:39 pm

greystoke wrote:
rocknroller wrote:Went to see Sunshine on Leith today what a fantastic movie.hope this is a start of more scottish films showing the real scotland ! not about drugs and Violence.but about our humor,our culture,our wonderful city's(in this case edinburgh)hope this is a template of scottish movies of the future ! a must see !!!

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I'll also give a thumbs up to Sunshine on Leith, rocknroller. It wasn't perfect, and presented a romanticised Edinburgh that's sure to do wonders for the tourist trade, but it's immediately enjoyable, highly infectious and very endearing. Yes, it's predictable, given the songs and where they're bound to fit, or how they would be used, but the Proclaimers' catalogue is more than suitable for this kind of treatment. Equal to that of ABBA's, given comparisons to Mamma Mia. And kudos to Dexter Fletcher's direction and managing to keep such a busy and lively film together. Great performances, too. Including Peter Mullan, who may have been more at home in Filth, but showed how comfortable and diverse this superb actor is.

Its not perfect your right but the feel good factor and the great peter mullan and dexter Fletcher's direction make it a scottish movie to be proud of.for me the songs are much better sung than the songs on mama mia ! what did you think of filth ?

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:48 pm

rocknroller wrote:Great post as always greystoke and good to have you back mate.went to see escape Plan this morning i enjoyed it a little slow at times but it was great to see stallone & schwarzenegger star in a movie together !!!

I second that,welcome back greystoke

Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:22 pm

rocknroller wrote:
greystoke wrote:

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Its not perfect your right but the feel good factor and the great peter mullan and dexter Fletcher's direction make it a scottish movie to be proud of.for me the songs are much better sung than the songs on mama mia ! what did you think of filth ?

I thought there was much to admire in Filth, but not a lot to actually like. James McAvoy is excellent in the lead and I found him more convincing here than in Trance or Welcome to the Punch. Eddie Marsden was also very good, as was Jim Broadbent in a tricky role to pull off, but he's very memorable. And given how challenging the materials is, Jon Baird done a fine job in directing the film, considering that he's relatively inexperienced. But the narrative didn't work for me, because it failed to transcend who, and what, McAvoy's character was. It missed that moment of realisation which was needed to make him more than a corrupt, junkie cop with emotional issues. This was touched on, with his back story revealed and moments where a semblance of humanity was shown, but the final act should have been able to give this character some degree of empathy and affection, but only offers a narrative twist that doesn't convince. For some, I guess the relentless nature of the film will work, but I wanted something more. Something that made it worthwhile investing in this character, and doing so because there's an element of fascination in watching him stoop so low, but with a wink to the audience. But that's not enough to encourage genuine goodwill for a character who doesn't actually deserve any, and that's where Filth stumbles, in my opinion.