Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: "Love Song of the Year" --> Secrets Revealed at Last!

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Energy Catalyzer wrote:Great song...great performance !!

Why never on stage ?

Because it was replaced with "My Boy" instead.

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
Energy Catalyzer wrote:Great song...great performance !!

Why never on stage ?

Because it was replaced with "My Boy" instead.

And why not, it is a 'GOLLY' old tune!

Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:06 am

Tony.. wrote:I love listening to the rehearsal version of "Love song of the year" on the recent "Promised Land" FTD. This was a gem hiding in the vaults for years ...

It was certainly an eye-opener when I first heard it.

Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:49 am

Interesting story. Thanks for digging it up and sharing with us. I rate the song as okay. It's not one of my favourites.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:24 pm

Little late to this thread but I really love the outtake on Elvis At Stax.
I hated the overdubs Felton applied onto the master but listening to the alternate is like rediscovering a "new" Elvis track.

Thanks Elvis At Stax!

Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:21 pm

I've always loved this song - both the original and outtakes.

Great lyrics, great delivery.

A real shame Elvis never gave this one a go in concert. One less performance of Teddy Bear probably wouldn't have broken too many hearts.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm

TINML, thanks for reviving this topic from 2012.

In retrospect, it's probably one of my favorites from those I've created on FECC.

Music is a passion, and "Love Song of the Year" certainly evokes a passionate response from members here.

"Love Song of the Year"

LOVE (26)
sgoodyear62
Rob
Renan
poormadpeter
OnTourCam
JosephC
Mike Eder
elvisjock
TJ
Marco Aurelio
YDKM
MaryAnn
billyblues
ranskal
JimmyCool
Lonely Summer
iplayastrat
FVH
stevelecher
Johnny2523
minkahed
Tony..
Energy Catalyzer
paulsweeney
TINML
joekro1977

HATE (7)
Matthew
midnightx
drjohncarpenter
daylon
norrie
Chris Roberts
Erhan

DON'T KNOW (11)
TCB-FAN
George Smith
keninlincs
jeremylr
dreambear
TheMaskedClown
Scarre
Lennart
Change of Clambake
Jove
rjm

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:TINML, thanks for reviving this topic from 2012.

Yes, I laughed out loud again at the mention of "the one two punch of Mr. Songman and Love Song Of The Year."

Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:03 pm

TJ wrote:It's not a weak composition. The verse and chorus both have attractive and catchy melodies. The songwriter didn't simply rely on well-worn formulas. The lyrics aren't as strong, but there are some worthwhile parts. It's not a classic obviously, but it's a solid album track and Elvis sings it well.

Spot on TJ. I'm also fond of Voice's vocal work on this track. They give Elvis a more contemporary background vocal sound. Their harmonies at the song's conclusion has always reminded me of the group America.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:03 pm

JosephC wrote:Doc,

I want to thank you for some background on one of my very favorite tunes off the Promised Land LP.

As a teenager, at the very height of popularity for such bands as Journey and Styx, I recall many weekends listening to the Promised Land disc. The close of Side A always was powerful, to me, with the one two punch of Mr. Songman and Love Song of the Year. This was me as a young man discovering Elvis piece by piece. Maybe it is, to paraphrase Elvis, "mediocre sh*t" but those songs connected with me then and continue to be part of the soundtrack to my life.

I used to laugh when I should cry.

All the best,

JosephC

That's the way I felt back in 1974/75 (?) and still do. I always looked forward to hearing these two songs together.

Mr. Songman has superb harmonies and I love the lyrics (see my signature, below). LSOTY has such a pretty melody, with a beautiful counter-melody on the piano fills. I still don't understand the lyrics but put me down in the LOVE category.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Nice to know I'm not alone. I don't put Love Song of the Year on a list of top drawer material, but it's nice, I certainly don't hate it like many here do. And I have always loved Mr. Songman. Reminds me of a restaurant I was going to some years back after a relationship ended. I would put some money in the jukebox and listen to songs that eased my heartbreak.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Steve Morse wrote:That's the way I felt back in 1974/75 (?) and still do. I always looked forward to hearing these two songs together.

Me too! Even today, when I put the Promised Land CD in the player, it's to listen to PL, LSOTY and MS.

Listening to the outtakes, it's funny to hear that though Elvis changed the lyrics from «wistful song» to «lonely song», the background singers stay with «wistful».

Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Nice info on the songwriter...thanks Doc. The song, forget it, it's not for me, it's rubbish!!!

So add me to the "Hate" list.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:09 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Nice info on the songwriter...thanks Doc. The song, forget it, it's not for me, it's rubbish!!!

This thread has brought a smile to my face, again. I'm not even mad at those of you who mock my " one two punch of Mr. Songman and Love Song Of The Year." comment. I no longer let hurtful words tear me apart. You see, I used to laugh when I should cry. I used to let these feelings pass me by. But now...not so much.

From now on I'll make it very clear...I'm a lover not a fighter!

Best to you all,

JosephC

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:15 pm

Although I always liked The Promised Land LP, "Love Song of the Year" never really stood out for me. Until I heard this first take. It just blows me away. Elvis just sings so beautifully, he sounds a bit tentative in some places but for a first take it's breathtakingly beautiful. His voice really soars on the chorus. love it! :smt007
Last edited by Pink&Black on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:48 pm

It's a tsunami of love, with a drizzle of hate, for Chris Christian's composition!

If only Elvis could have cut a dozen tracks by him and made an entire concept album.

It could have been his finest of the '70s, if not of all time.

"Love Song of the Year"

LOVE (30)
sgoodyear62
Rob
Renan
poormadpeter
OnTourCam
JosephC
Mike Eder
elvisjock
TJ
Marco Aurelio
YDKM
MaryAnn
billyblues
ranskal
JimmyCool
Lonely Summer
iplayastrat
FVH
stevelecher
Johnny2523
minkahed
Tony..
Energy Catalyzer
paulsweeney
TINML
joekro1977
Pete Dube
Steve Morse
Mister Mike
Pink&Black

HATE (8)
Matthew
midnightx
drjohncarpenter
daylon
norrie
Chris Roberts
Erhan
mysterytrainrideson

DON'T KNOW (11)
TCB-FAN
George Smith
keninlincs
jeremylr
dreambear
TheMaskedClown
Scarre
Lennart
Change of Clambake
Jove
rjm

Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 pm

Very informative. I don't like the song at all. It's probably the worst song that Elvis recorded at Stax, imo of course.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:03 am

JosephC wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Nice info on the songwriter...thanks Doc. The song, forget it, it's not for me, it's rubbish!!!

This thread has brought a smile to my face, again. I'm not even mad at those of you who mock my " one two punch of Mr. Songman and Love Song Of The Year." comment. I no longer let hurtful words tear me apart. You see, I used to laugh when I should cry. I used to let these feelings pass me by. But now...not so much.

From now on I'll make it very clear...I'm a lover not a fighter!

Best to you all,

JosephC

I sure didn't want to be hurtful; no evil intentions here; the phrase just did tickle me. I like LSOTY but think MS is really banal.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:45 am

::rocks

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:14 am

I hated it and ridiculed the title a while back. But, after the STAX sessions release. I kinda like it a little now.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:29 pm

I have listened to the alternate take of "Love Song Of The Year" quite often. Well, it is really good. I keep loving the song.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:28 pm

Claus wrote:Very informative. I don't like the song at all. It's probably the worst song that Elvis recorded at Stax, imo of course.

That title belongs to Three Corn Patches.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk - now Free

Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:36 pm

There is no problem for me liking this song! When I first heard it on the LP I found it different, strange for an Elvis song, but still! I am one of those who find it easy to like an Elvis song, including :D My Boy!

Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:24 pm

bajo wrote:There is no problem for me liking this song! When I first heard it on the LP I found it different, strange for an Elvis song, but still! I am one of those who find it easy to like an Elvis song, including :D My Boy!

I always enjoy listening to My Boy, Love Song of the Year, Mr. Songman, and It's Midnight.

Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
bajo wrote:There is no problem for me liking this song! When I first heard it on the LP I found it different, strange for an Elvis song, but still! I am one of those who find it easy to like an Elvis song, including :D My Boy!

I always enjoy listening to My Boy, Love Song of the Year, Mr. Songman, and It's Midnight.

It's Midnight is a good song(not great). The others you mentioned are pretty poor and not worthy of Elvis's attention.

After 72, good songs became thinner on the ground. Although his last 2 singles in Way Down and Moody Blue were very good. I have read comments on here about these 2 being mediocre...... So,so wrong.