Post here your Elvis' pictures

Rockin' the International (topic 'revamped')

Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:28 pm

UPDATE - Topic "revamped" (photos switched/'alternates' added)

This topic is more or less for people who are into photo collecting(/sorting) and in similar vein as our little EPSS project - we’ve also done other ”photo sorting projects" in private, one of them being all about 1969 live shots. We all know there are quite a few ultra cool photos from Elvis' August '69 Vegas engagement - the problem with them is that they're practically impossible to date but maybe a topic like this can help in the future. So at this point there's no intention of even trying to date photos but rather, to try and sort out from how many different shows we have photos to begin with, going by details we can see so maybe in the future if more detailed fan reviews of the shows surface, maybe we can get some photos dated by ”connecting the dots”. We do already have photos from few shows that have pretty nicely confirmed dates so I'll certainly mention them anyway.

There were 57 shows in this engagement - this list now has shots from 24 shows... maybe some of the big photo collectors can help fill more?
And as always, any possible corrections/extra infos are more than welcome.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
All six photos above should be from the July 31 opening show. The famous b&w photos (first two) were taken by Peter Borsari who was there for the show as well as the press conference so I have no reason to doubt the date. Other known photographers who were taking photos during the show include Terry O'Neill, Hank De Lespinasse and Jean-Marie Vincent. ----- Elvis wore the famous black karate-inspired ("herringbone") suit with a blue scarf (w/ blue stripes) -- band wore full black suits with red 'scarfs' , Charlie excluded who was in a proper suit for the occasion.

Elvis in black "herringbone" suit -- band in black jackets/white pants/white scarfs.

Screencap from the famous 8mm footage; Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (green scarf) -- band in full black/red scarfs. The Sweets wear what looks like white dresses with long sleeves (in the footage). I've seen a date August 12 DS being mentioned for the footage but absolutely no idea how accurate that is.

Image Image
These photos were snapped by a member of this forum (Barbie) and should be from August 18 MS.
Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (lightblue scarf) -- band in full white.

Elvis in black herringbone (lightblue scarf) -- band in black jackets/white pants/white scarfs.

I have the file marked as August 21 - seem to recall the date coming from Rex's forum from a fan (review) who attended the show and took it (Marie Chantal?). --- Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (red scarf).

Image Image
Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (lighblue scarf) -- band in full black/red scarfs, Sweets in (sleeveless) full white dresses.

Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (lighblue scarf) with blue "kickpleats" in pants -- band in white suits/white scarfs, Sweets in (sleeveless) black dresses.

Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (lightblue scarf), blue kickpleats in pants -- band in full black/red scarfs, Sweets in white dresses with long sleeves.

Image Image
Elvis black 'herringbone' suit (red scarf) with red kickpleats in pants -- band in black jackets/white pants/white scarfs, Sweets in red(?) dresses with long sleeves.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
ALL photos above possibly come from the same show and possibly from 'official' (RCA assigned) cameras (last one excluded) - the "side angle" (first two photos) looks very much like the one that was also used for taking photos a year later (for TTWII), and the 5th photo certainly isn't a fan snap. The fact that all photos also seem to look pretty professional COULD mean that these are photos that were to be used for official purposes (the LP, for example)
Elvis in black 'herringbone' suit (red scarf), red kickpleats and red striped belt - band in full white/red scarfs, Sweets in (sleeveless) red dresses.

Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Another show I believe could be from the "RCA cameras" - the angles used are very similar to the "black suit, red striped belt" (previous show above) show and again, the photos seem to look pretty professional. The last photo is a fan snap that could be from the same show - it's there to give a more detailed look what the Sweet Inspirations dresses look like.
Elvis in white 'herringbone' suit (lightblue scarf) -- band in full black/white scarfs.

Image Image
Again, these are more than likely photos from the 'official' (RCA) cameras - the first photo was used as the cover of the "Elvis menu" the following year. --- Elvis in white 'herringbone' suit - the scarf he has is the same style that the band seems to be wearing on majority of the photos from this engagement with a "ring" around it.

Image Image
Elvis in white "herringbone" suit -- band in full white/lightblue scarfs. Note the unusual mike Elvis is using.

Elvis in white 'herringbone' suit (lighblue scarf) -- band in white jackets/black pants/back scarfs, Charlie excluded who was in full black.

Elvis in white 'herringbone' suit -- band in black jackets/white pants/white scarf.

Elvis in black two-piece suit; short jacket with pockets in front, red kickpleats in pants and "metal belt" -- band in full black/white scarfs, Sweets in (sleeveless) red dresses.

Elvis in the same black suit (or a navy blue version?) with same belt -- band in white jackets/black pants/black scarf.

Image Image
Elvis in white two-piece suit; short jacket with pockets in front, "metal belt" -- band in full black/red scarfs.
These photos are more than likely from August 1 DS - they were taken by Ann Moses' then-husband who attended the show.

Elvis in the same white suit but with a big leather belt -- band in white jackets/black pants/black scarfs, Sweets in (sleeveless) black dresses.

Elvis in the black "press conference suit"; long jacket, red kickpleats in pants -- band in white jackets/black pants/white scarfs.
Note the unusual guitar his using.

Elvis in same "press conference suit" -- band in full white, Charlie excluded who's in full black.

Image Image
Elvis in same suit -- band in full black/white scarfs.

I believe this is still the same suit, the only difference to the previous shows is the "metal belt" added -- band in full black with white(?) scarfs.
Last edited by onelove on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Re: Rockin' the International

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:46 pm

GREAT POST ! thanks

Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Thanks,some very cool shots

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:29 pm

Terrific post! Thank you

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:31 pm

(c)DC

Person who took the photo advised me that the date was August 4, 1969 DS

Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Superb shots and thread. Thanks.

::rocks

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:05 pm

Thanks for the comments.

Francesc wrote:---

(c)DC

Person who took the photo advised me that the date was August 4, 1969 DS

Thanks Francesc! That's probably from the same show as the one paired with it below - all the details looks to be the same and looks like it's from the same camera as well. So a possible date of August 4 DS - cool to have such an early date/show in the engagement covered too.

690804ds-poss.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:45 pm

It is amazing how poor the quality is of the photo's that survived over the decades. Almost all are audience snapshots and almost no pictures with any professional standard, not even from July 31. Thanks for this great thread.

Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Fantastic post onelove. ::rocks

Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:56 pm

Alexander wrote:It is amazing how poor the quality is of the photo's that survived over the decades. Almost all are audience snapshots and almost no pictures with any professional standard, not even from July 31. Thanks for this great thread.

I disagree. The 7-31-1969 OS photos by Peter Borsari are excellent. He was a world-class photographer.

Peter Borsari
http://www.peterborsari.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Borsari

Other excellent photographers at the 7-31-1969 OS were Hank De Lespinasse, on assignment for Newsweek, and Jean-Marie Vincent, for Time:

690811_Newsweek p 83_DETAIL.JPG

690815_Time p 57_DETAIL.JPG

JAT published a few dozen of Hank De Lespinasse's photos from 7-31-1969 OS, and the 8-01-1969 press conference, in Elvis '69: The Return and a few more in Elvis: The Lost Photographs, 1948-1969, including some color shots which prove the stripes in the scarf that legendary night were blue.

Here's one example credited to Hank in Elvis '69: The Return:

It is a fair assumption that most of the sharp, professional images from this 1969 engagement were made between 7-31 (Thu) and 8-03 (Sun). The rest of your quest may be a difficult road!

Here is a favorite I do not have specific details on, could it be by Bosari?

Anyway, neat idea, and good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:10 am

Hey man, rockin' good thread !
I'd leave you a thanks, but don't know how. :?

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:21 am

Great topic, onelove, and some rockin' photos. As has already been said it'll be really difficult to put dates to photos. Personally, I'm not even sure how many different suits, or variations of suits, were used over the month-long season.

Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 am

Bobby Peru wrote:Hey man, rockin' good thread !
I'd leave you a thanks, but don't know how. :?

click on the golden thumb icon on the post

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:12 pm

What a great thread.

I´ve been wanting to do something like this myself but just haven´t had the time.

I´ll certainly go thru my 1969 photos to see if I can add anything at all.

Thanks again. You´re doing a wonderful job.

Sincerely
Brian
www.brian56.dk

Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:34 pm

A very nice thread, thanks!

Dating Vegas/Tahoe pics correctly is challenging, all the more so the earlier the season. I managed to get the 76 seasons sorted out, but found even 1975 to be hard.

Hopefully as many pics as possible get correctly dated here! :smt023

Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Wonderful!!! Indescritible!!!! :smt023 ::rocks

Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:23 am

Great photos and project! Dating the photos is a tough job!

Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for all the positive comments!

There's still plenty of "slots" open so keep your eyes open for possible "new" shows. Some are probably really hard to tell though, as the season has many photos that show very little band/other details.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Here is a favorite I do not have specific details on, could it be by Bosari?

Unfortunately I have no details regarding the photo. I've always been under the impression Borsari took all his photos from the balcony but we've contacted someone who should know more about his photos - maybe he can shed some more light to this. The photo looks a little bit like it could be from the same camera as the photo that was used in the cover of the FTD book "Fashion For a King", just more tightly cropped? If so, there seems to be quite a few photos from that angle/camera so it could be from someone else.

I wonder how early on RCA sent their photographer(s) in, which resulted in the photos seen in the "Elvis In Person"/"Back In Memphis" LPs? I'd guess they 'covered' three different shows at least - the photos below I'd GUESS come from the cameras RCA/Parker or whoever assigned to take photos for the upcoming live LP; they look pretty professional and since EPE has them today, and at least one photo was used (as seen on the 3rd shot) as the 'cover' for the menu at the International the following year I guess they could be from "official" cameras.

Image Image Image

Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:56 pm

great post and pics.....that would have been my chosen time to see him live........must have been out of this world

Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 pm

Yes! the August 18th MS (near the top)is one that I took that evening!!!....................I still haven't gotten over those shows!!!!!! 44 years later and I still think about how excited we were to see him!!!! Elvis fans from the 50's had waited practically a whole decade to see him singing live and there he was movin' and groovin' and shakin' right in front of you!!!!!......................OMG!!!! I also think about this couple from Houston who paid for our show when we told them we came from Canada to see him!!! Bonus!!!! I'll never forget those shows!!!! :D :D :D

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:23 pm

These three photo's were taken by world famous photographer Terry O'Neill

terry-o_neill---elvis-presl.jpg

17-elvis-1970-terry-o-neill.jpg

Re: Rockin' the International (topic 'revamped')

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Thanks for the info, jinjoe - DJC, if you're still reading; jinjoe's first photo looks quite a bit like it could be from the same camera as the shot you asked about, just more tightly cropped... that would make it a Terry O'Neill shot.

PS... did a little "revamp" for the topic - tried to make the opening post a bit easier to "read" by adding 'alternate' photos from as many shows as possible to show a bit more of the details mentioned. More to follow later.
Last edited by onelove on Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:24 pm

I am curious as to why your revamped post makes no mention of my comments about Hank De Lespinasse and Jean-Marie Vincent, professional photographers who were definitely snapping shots at the 7-31-1969 OS, and had their images published shortly afterwards. And there's a JAT book with 2 dozen De Lespinasse photos, as noted.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:06 pm

People can still see your post in this very topic, can they not? Wouldn't it be better for them to see them from there than me mentioning it briefly on that massive, photo-filled post anyway? I added the names in but as you can see, it's not very visible. Thanks all the same - to you as well as jinjoe. Now we have at least four names who were taking photos during the very first show.

An ebay "find" - one should never take anything for granted what's in there, especially when it comes to dates of photos but since this comes from the Jim Curtin collection, maybe he originally got the snap from the original photographer?

So a possible date for the set the photo below comes from?

--> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Elvis- ... 35cd1689ed
$(KGrHqZ,!nwFJOf4-BihBS(Ls(h0Pw~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqV,!nsFJN)Q)ZcqBS(LsWLP7Q~~60_57.JPG

Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:05 am

Many thanks!!!!!!!!

:smt007 :smt055

(If you could hear me right now, you would just say "I'll have what she's having." :smt001

rjm